Mondo 1/6 Scale He-man and The Masters of the Universe figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get preferring the mixed media look. But cost to produce wise, full sculpted is more usually.

- Pricing- not sure yet, as we need to get them quoted overseas in the next few months. Probably something around the TMNT figure. Maybe a tad higher, due to the fabric elements, but still very fair for this scale.

- There will be A LOT of accessories with these, including interchangeable heads, and a few nods to the animated series, original line, and maybe even the 87 film... hehehe[/I]

This is what I was referring to earlier in the thread. Most of the manufacturers seem to say the soft goods are an add to the products compared to sculpted parts.

This is what I was referring to earlier in the thread. Most of the manufacturers seem to say the soft goods are an add to the products compared to sculpted parts.

It depends what your comparing it to. If you add it to an already finished sculpt, it's an added cost. Doesn't matter if it's fabric or sculpted. I tried to explain what I mean but it's not easy to do. If you add a fabric part to something it adds cost. But if you add another sculpted part it adds cost as well. With fabric or cut and sew materials a large part of the cost is man hours and time. With sculpted it's tooling.

And of course if they add fabric they will say it makes it more expensive to produce. Just like diecast equals quality or expense. But it doesn't actually cost more to make. (If you have to buy new machines to make diecast or switch to or add a new vendor then it costs more, but not becuase it's better but becuase it's different). If the parts are sculpted and require new tooling the sculpted would cost more. Like say if skeletor had a leather croctch flap thing, or a sculpted part that is to be molded seperate. The plastic part would cost more to produce, generally, then the leather. (Again, hard to generalize as it would depend on many factors). But any added feature adds cost. Cloth, metal, plastic.

My initial point at the start of this is that just becuase an item is sculpted does not make it "cheaper". Nor does cut and sew make it higher quality or cost.

For example-lets use hot toys human figures. Most are reused bodies with cut and sew items and one new sculpted piece, the head. Versus say iron man or thanos or Ultron or griot where it's a fully sculpted new piece. The cost to produce the fully sculpted figures is much higher then the ones with cut and sew.

But there's so much that goes into it that it's hard to generalize. Like is the prt sculpted into a main body, how many pieces, how does it effect paint ect. And then with fabric stuff it's about material, complexity of the pattern and details, do you have in house access to man power or does it need to be outsourced to a different place then you do your injection molding ect.

But a sculpted item vs a cut/sew item the cost is "usually" higher for sculpted. If you then add fabric items that's an added cost, but does not mean fabric costs more. Just that you add a cost. If they added a second head that's sculpted, it adds cost.

Again, all I was saying in the start of this was that just becuase an item does or does not have cut/sew or fabric or diecast or whatever does not mean it was cheaper to produce. Nor does having those things indicate quality. Mego has lots of fabric and little sculptural details and is very low quality compared to 3zero or hot toys.

Last edited:
If it's long hair? Easily. She-ra hair would limit head tilt and turn. (Though I prefer sculpted hair)

Well, I can live without her crazy head poses TBH.

I agree, sculpted is better and honestly the way to go, rooted looks bad.

And that whole combing and styling that you see others do is just not for me. Screw that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want a Barbie doll. Sculpted is JUST FINE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Settle down Francis, action-figures are dolls no matter what you tell yourself. Even if everything is sculpted, it's still a doll, sorry.

It depends what your comparing it to. If you add it to an already finished sculpt, it's an added cost. Doesn't matter if it's fabric or sculpted. I tried to explain what I mean but it's not easy to do. If you add a fabric part to something it adds cost. But if you add another sculpted part it adds cost as well. With fabric or cut and sew materials a large part of the cost is man hours and time. With sculpted it's tooling.

And of course if they add fabric they will say it makes it more expensive to produce. Just like diecast equals quality or expense. But it doesn't actually cost more to make. (If you have to buy new machines to make diecast or switch to or add a new vendor then it costs more, but not becuase it's better but becuase it's different). If the parts are sculpted and require new tooling the sculpted would cost more. Like say if skeletor had a leather croctch flap thing, or a sculpted part that is to be molded seperate. The plastic part would cost more to produce, generally, then the leather. (Again, hard to generalize as it would depend on many factors). But any added feature adds cost. Cloth, metal, plastic.

My initial point at the start of this is that just becuase an item is sculpted does not make it "cheaper". Nor does cut and sew make it higher quality or cost.

For example-lets use hot toys human figures. Most are reused bodies with cut and sew items and one new sculpted piece, the head. Versus say iron man or thanos or Ultron or griot where it's a fully sculpted new piece. The cost to produce the fully sculpted figures is much higher then the ones with cut and sew.

But there's so much that goes into it that it's hard to generalize. Like is the prt sculpted into a main body, how many pieces, how does it effect paint ect. And then with fabric stuff it's about material, complexity of the pattern and details, do you have in house access to man power or does it need to be outsourced to a different place then you do your injection molding ect.

But a sculpted item vs a cut/sew item the cost is "usually" higher for sculpted. If you then add fabric items that's an added cost, but does not mean fabric costs more. Just that you add a cost. If they added a second head that's sculpted, it adds cost.

Again, all I was saying in the start of this was that just becuase an item does or does not have cut/sew or fabric or diecast or whatever does not mean it was cheaper to produce. Nor does having those things indicate quality. Mego has lots of fabric and little sculptural details and is very low quality compared to 3zero or hot toys.

My point was less nuisanced...take a figure that is fully sculpted like these that has a cape. It cost more to make the cape with fabric versus making it a sculpted part. That's all I was saying.

But I agree, there's lots of "moving parts" so to speak with most figures so there could be multiple variables.

How does rooted hair help articulation?

The longer the hair, the less articulation as it usually is just a big hunk of plastic preventing the head from moving. The MOTU Classics line has a number of female characters that suffer, and I mean suffer, from having very long sculpted hair. Looks great just as long as she doesn't have to look up or from left to right.

sideshow baroness has sculpted hair, and no articulation loss.

Rooted hair is terrible.

I seriously hope they do not take their cues from Sideshow. When it comes to female figures Phicen is kicking butt IMO and all of their figures have rooted hair. The Cool/Cy Girls from Takara always had rooted hair and I thought they looked great. Sculpted hair seems more like a Medicom thing. NO; not MEDICOM! However, Japanese lines like Figma, Figuarts and Revoltech always do sculpted hair but they use very inconspicuous articulated joints in the hair so no loss of articulation.

Me personally are more concerned with loss of articulation in the head and neck areas that are issues with the current "collectors" line MOTUC. Hopefully Mondo can learn from Mattel's mistakes. Saying they are taking their cues Japanese companies is a great start as companies like Bandai and Medicos always seem to have great form without sacrificing function.

I still wish Sideshow would make 1/6 figures of the new statue designs. Or have Hot Toys make them.

I still wish Sideshow would make 1/6 figures of the new statue designs. Or have Hot Toys make them.

That would be cool but I would much prefer Hot Toys do the 87 movie instead. With all the layering and details on He-Man and Skeletor in particular, I think Hot Toys would belt it out of the park.
I cannot image we would ever get high-end anything based on the movie but one can wish.

I'd love to see Hot Toys make figures based on the '87 movie; that's more their speed. 1/6 figures based on the Sideshow He-Man statue would be nice. A company that is good at making cartoon looking characters, like Medicom, would be ideal for making figures based on the Filmation characters. From what I see here I'd love to see Mondo take a crake at the characters from the cartoons, Filmation and Mike Young.

That would be cool but I would much prefer Hot Toys do the 87 movie instead. With all the layering and details on He-Man and Skeletor in particular, I think Hot Toys would belt it out of the park.
I cannot image we would ever get high-end anything based on the movie but one can wish.

i too would love someone to take on the 87 movie! hot toys would do that movie justice for sure.

A "God" mode gold skeletor would be amazing. Do the throne room dio with the throne and sword holster and the eye. That would be amazing.

I hope they do a large number of characters... or at least most of the mains.

Back