MONDO - 1/6 Comic Style TMNT Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not Neca. It's the UK distribution ppl. They don't wanna pay the fees to get the Turtles over there. The only ones who paid outside the USA was Australia.

Well whoever it is I hope they spend the rest of there days banging there big toe on furniture on cold mornings and get mosquito bites on the knuckles during hot summers.

Mondo’s turtles aren’t perfect but I still enjoy them. The Mirage comic designs are the best IMO

This is the conculsion I find myself closing on. The Mondo ones just seem more fun.

It suddenly occured to me last night how much the DreamEX ones now resemble the Turtles from the new IDW (I say new, current etc) comic line and whilst they do admittedly look good, they are just not my Turtles.

And lets be honest TMNT is a series that has revisionist hard wired into its DNA. I doubt any 2 people remember and cherish the Turtles in totally identical ways. I still remember growing up with the Pplaymates toys and cartoon and being stunned everytime a Mirage Comics image would land infront of me (the cover for the TMNT NES game for example).

Time to go Mondo me thinks.

Screenshot_20180318-010839_Instagram.jpg

Believe me, I am surprised as you are.

I think maybe it's because the 2 entities/franchises existed one after the other in my childhood so they were super close in terms of nostalgia and memories. That and I did just finish reading the IDW Ghostbusters/TMNT crossover which was surprisingly good.

Believe me, I am surprised as you are.

I think maybe it's because the 2 entities/franchises existed one after the other in my childhood so they were super close in terms of nostalgia and memories. That and I did just finish reading the IDW Ghostbusters/TMNT crossover which was surprisingly good.

Second series is getting even better.

To be honest, they are a pain in the ass to pose, as the joints are not designed similar to other 1/6 figures. Also, they take up a surprising amount of space on the shelves. I grossly underestimated the size of the group. But they look great! For some reason, they just draw the eyes to them...
tmnth.jpg

Also, I found that the wrist pegs on mine were EXTREMELY tight. I couldn't replace any of the hands with accessory hands, without risking damaging the standard hands. Even with a hair dryer to warm them up a bit. Maybe I'll try again...

To be honest, they are a pain in the ass to pose, as the joints are not designed similar to other 1/6 figures. Also, they take up a surprising amount of space on the shelves. I grossly underestimated the size of the group. But they look great! For some reason, they just draw the eyes to them...
View attachment 401434
I said it before, these look great with beautiful sculpts but nothing more than giant size action figures that we normally get in 6inch. Calling them 1/6 is more of a size and a bit misleading to what you would expect as 1/6 generally means higher end mix media collectible action figures.

I said it before, these look great with beautiful sculpts but nothing more than giant size action figures that we normally get in 6inch. Calling them 1/6 is more of a size and a bit misleading to what you would expect as 1/6 generally means higher end mix media collectible action figures.

I’ll take these over any other all day

Sure... but I paid less than $150 each (I can't remember how much per - I know a couple of them were close to $100 each), and that's substantially less (50%) than the majority of the Hot Toys 1/6 I've bought in the last couple years. The scale is certainly 1/6, and this is my favorite interpretation of the TMNT. So for me, they were well worth the money...

These are definitely giant sized action figures, but you can't really beat these as far as looks.

Not all cartoony characters will look good in 1/6 mixed media format, especially the super stylized non human ones.

Medicom used to do 1/6 figures of cartoon and anime characters with real fabric, they just tend to look tacky when wearing real clothes. The problem is, the real clothes are supposed to imitate real life, but the toony characters themselves are not trying an ounce to convince you they're real (quite the opposite), that makes for a tacky combination right there.

Even HT knows not to use fabric on their Pixar figures, and Pixar is the most likely bunch of the stylized cartoons to be wearing real clothes.

These Mondos TMNT have a really strong style for that particular reason. You really can't have soft material and still retain that 2D style 100%. Even just for the bandana, using fabric will loose the gravity defying triangular shapes in the back. That needs to be hard sculpted, like anime hair for example, it needs to just stick out and defy gravity if they're basing it on the original 2D.

The only TMNT that needs to be mixed media is the 90s Movie Turtles, based on Jim Henson's costumes which did have fabric bandana of course. It's all about sticking to the source material.

--

Last edited:
These are definitely giant sized action figures, but you can't really beat these as far as looks.

Not all cartoony characters will look good in 1/6 mixed media format, especially the super stylized non human ones.

Medicom used to do 1/6 figures of cartoon and anime characters with real fabric, they just tend to look tacky when wearing real clothes. The problem is, the real clothes are supposed to imitate real life, but the toony characters themselves are not trying an ounce to convince you they're real (quite the opposite), that makes for a tacky combination right there.

Even HT knows not to use fabric on their Pixar figures, and Pixar is the most likely bunch of the stylized cartoons to be wearing real clothes.

These Mondos TMNT have a really strong style for that particular reason. You really can't have soft material and still retain that 2D style 100%. Even just for the bandana, using fabric will loose the gravity defying triangular shapes in the back. That needs to be hard sculpted, like anime hair for example, it needs to just stick out and defy gravity if they're basing it on the original 2D.

The only TMNT that needs to be mixed media is the 90s Movie Turtles, based on Jim Henson's costumes which did have fabric bandana of course. It's all about sticking to the source material.

--
Couldn't have said it better. I've seen some dbz figs with real clothes and they just look very tacky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--

I am totally fine with it being mostly hard plastic. The Mondo turtles have great sculpts. But my ppoint is don't ask for a premium price if they aren't premium styled figures. I think the turtles would have performed better with a $120 price point instead of $149. And seems like Mondo learned from it with the new Batman figure they had up for preorder for $125.

Yeah I think Mondo really got humble pie from all the cancellations and negative feedback regarding poor quality, shipping, price, length of production, etc.

I know I offended Brock when he was here and feel bad about it. But I was really disappointed at the quality and other things. Glad to see they are making adjustments.

Back