Modify tips for Hot Toys 1/4 Dark Knight Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did nothing to the butt on mine at all.

I know, I just made random comments based on both your pictures and Xpnugget's.

I agree about the legs, the subtleties are hard to see on pictures.
Still I saw nothing wrong with the legs on my figure, so apart from repositioning the knee pads nothing will be done there.
It's different with the EB Batman, I intend to pad the legs in a few specific spots in order to make them thicker and correct their shape.

I never thought I'd be a 31 year old dude sculpting and carving foam from a tiny batman butt- LoL

My futzing has just begun, I also have a box of dark knight armor coming from Kris over at hell's kitchen as well as boots from udreplicas, some goodies from spidey4fun, coolfunkcurly, Bob Causey, and fan universe creations and a fully posable 6'2 mannequin, so I'll have a 1:1 scale dark knight too!

Patrick-

I didn't re-glue mine yet, but I am going to super glue some small velcro strips where the armor attaches with loc-tite super glue- so that I can take off the shoulder pads whenever I want.

Hello again people- back again with another round of quick mods- come along with me!

First, I broke Mr. Wayne's body down- (don't worry, his spirit is still in tact)

Here is the big ol' truetype in a spiderman pose-
20131109_034031.jpg

I replaced the butt pads, but I did round off the edges a bit- (not pictured)

20131109_034407.jpg

Here's a cool one, I noticed that these really delicate forearm foam pieces will start to shred away quite easily from removing and replacing the mesh suit, so I very gently wrapped some electrical tape on the edges just to keep them preserved, and idiot proof.

20131109_034426.jpg

20131109_040411.jpg

Here is where I added some velcro to the shoulder pad under arm strap, so now I can remove them easily , and the velcro keeps everything tight. First I trimmed the pieces to a relatively flat area for good velcro adhesion.

20131109_042742.jpg

I added one drop of loctite super glue just to make sure those bastiches stay in place-
20131109_043653.jpg

20131109_043840.jpg

Nice, tight, and well hidden-

20131109_044028.jpg

20131109_044401.jpg

20131109_045019.jpg

I think it turned out pretty cool, I'm a happy camper!

Patrick-

Up next, HOLY CRAP I'M SLICING THE HANDS APART! (I was a little nervous on this one, and I only did it with the pair of relaxed hands so far, but I think they turned out fantastic! I really like the cleaner look of the gloves tucked under the gauntlets in TDKR, and now his forearms don't look so long. I think these body proportions are pretty spot on now- PICS!

Point of no return- oh crap.

20131109_045214.jpg

I cut at an angle so the gauntlets would slip right over

20131109_045524.jpg

And BOOM!

20131109_045823.jpg

20131109_045830.jpg

Batman sliced his wrist, but on the other hand he's fine... (bu-dump tssssh! Get it?)

20131109_050039.jpg

Here's a craptacular low light cell phone pic of the results!

20131109_051006.jpg

And one more- just to show the updated proportions and glove mods-

20131109_053525.jpg

I'm loving this guy more and more with every little mod!

Thanks for looking guys-

Patrick-

Oh and one more thing that I didn't notice until tonight- the main front belt piece is metal! I had no idea- very cool...

Very cool job on your mods Patrick! I love the velcro idea! Thanks for breaking him down and putting up the pictures with it. They'll be extremely helpful. The proportions look really good from the final shot. Congrats! :clap

Nice job xp.

I haven't decided what to do about the gloves yet. I really do like Tony'd gloves, but I'm still waiting on a clearer description of how he did it.

Nice job xp.

I haven't decided what to do about the gloves yet. I really do like Tony'd gloves, but I'm still waiting on a clearer description of how he did it.

When you cut the glove straps off, you get a much clearer idea of what Tony did-they are plenty big- you can carve or hollow out the inside of the straps with an x-acto blade just to make them thinner, (not too thin, let's not get crazy here) , then just slip them in between the gloves and wrist pegs- none of which I'll do because I just like the tucked glove look-

Well I went ahead and carefully cut the rest of the glove straps off- its really easy if you go slow and stay focused. .

2013-11-09224601.jpg

And for some reason this pic makes me hungry for olives lol-

2013-11-09224728.jpg

Like I said before, in my opinion I think the figure, as well as the costume itself, is much more asthetically pleasing with the illusion of the wrist straps tucked under the gauntlets. I might not have cut them at all, but the sculpt of all the wrist straps just flared out way too much, subtracting from the realism. Now it looks much cleaner, and the wrist pegs are much easier to angle without wierd gaps- I think he looks much better in a statuesque pose, as well as holding all of the guns, and it is easier to get that cool 'rifle aiming' pose.

Patrick-

I'm pumped! I didn't get the exclusive edition-so to remedy, I just ordered a 2nd pers cowl on fleabay that I can dremel out and have an empty cowl- and an extra set of eyeballs lol, and I also ordered a battle length velvet cape from lforigno! I can't wait!

2013-11-09235227-1.jpg

20131110_134103-1.jpg

Remember- sometimes it takes a little cutting, hacking, and stitching to make things just right...

IMG_11977153629945.jpg

Patrick-

When you cut the glove straps off, you get a much clearer idea of what Tony did-they are plenty big- you can carve or hollow out the inside of the straps with an x-acto blade just to make them thinner, (not too thin, let's not get crazy here) , then just slip them in between the gloves and wrist pegs- none of which I'll do because I just like the tucked glove look-

I understand most of that as I did this mod long ago on the DX12. But I'm still not totally clear on this:

How did you change the shape of the straps? They flair out, but yours don't.

To illustrate:

Glovesstrapsmodcrop.jpg

Are you saying that simply making the straps themselves thinner eliminated the flair?

Like I said before, in my opinion I think the figure, as well as the costume itself, is much more asthetically pleasing with the illusion of the wrist straps tucked under the gauntlets. I might not have cut them at all, but the sculpt of all the wrist straps just flared out way too much, subtracting from the realism. Now it looks much cleaner, and the wrist pegs are much easier to angle without wierd gaps- I think he looks much better in a statuesque pose, as well as holding all of the guns, and it is easier to get that cool 'rifle aiming' pose.

But if we do whatever it is Tony did, that flair is completely eliminated.

I will say, I too prefer the tucked in look, but it would be nice to have the option of a TDK look.

Last edited:
Just realized that I've been using the wrong "flare" this whole time. :lol

ive_got_flair_pin-rdf5a6d7cd0e04dd8a797c31f29b6c531_x7j12_8byvr_324.jpg

Card_11.jpg

Back