Modify tips for Hot Toys 1/4 Dark Knight Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.
I understand one may want to repaint around the eyes with a darker fuller black in order to eliminate "pinkish" zones but the caruncle and eyelid slits should remain as they are so when the light hits at the right angle you see a bit of pink.
It's one of these details that adds realism on a 1/4 figure.
By painting right up to the slits you'll get the best results; darker eyes and realism.

Picture1_zps3f8ad930.png

great picture, I see pink on his left eye, but non on his right, LOL. depends on the light and how he squint. I'lm gonna sculpt the eyelid up, so caruncle or not.... not gonna show for me :wink1:

The backpack does get effected, but the cape mod isn't necessary, more of a personal preference. I'm nit satisfy with the mod myself, would like to re-do it better again

You can still use the backpack though right? It just fits into over-large holes.

I did the mod on my DX12 and it did make him look better, so I would like to do it on this guy as well.

The only difference is that I have other 1/6 figures I can put the backpack on, whereas I only have one QS and would like to be able to switch between cape and backpack displays.

Before this thread I had never heard the word "caruncle".

Sounds made up. :lol

Last edited:
You can still use the backpack though right? It just fits into over-large holes.

I did the mod on my DX12 and it did make him look better, so I would like to do it on this guy as well.

The only difference is that I have other 1/6 figures I can put the backpack on, whereas I only have one QS and would like to be able to switch between cape and backpack displays.

to be safe, leave it.....

I dont use the backpack often.... I love the cape so much more. but its always good to have the backpack laying around for display purpose.

to be safe, leave it.....

I dont use the backpack often.... I love the cape so much more. but its always good to have the backpack laying around for display purpose.

:(

Have you tried putting on the backpack since you did the mod?

It's coming along. I'm starting to catch myself staring at the figure, and that's a very good sign. :)

yes please, you are one of the few that has courage to mod and make it better. I'm sure your 1/4 will get get better and better. Besides, this is only the first 1/4, the beginning........ I'm sure there will be a whole series of 1/4 down the line.... not to mention BA Batman. As much as people hate, I'm looking at it in the positive direction and hoping it turned out to be a badass Batman (he got the jaw, LOL, the rest is just the batsuit):wink1:

:(

Have you tried putting on the backpack since you did the mod?

I have, and looks the same. I'm be hones, I would redo the mod all over again. The actual suit from the movie actually have the cape goes into the carbon strap not into the suit, that's the appearance I was trying to achieve.

Thanks. I still plan to do it, but I'll be carefull to only cut a bit off at a time.

The camera is right up against his face in daylight and all you can see is a hint of pink at the caruncle.If you cover that spot you see no pink along the edge of the eye, just black. Any other screen capture, and you won't be able to see even the caruncle.

Actually on the picture you can see the whole pink caruncle, not just a hint and the only reason you you don't see more of the eyelid slit is due to the angle and the fact that Bale squints more on this picture than the figure does.
If you moved up you would see more pink on the lower eyelid and vice versa.

With the figure you can see the pink from several feet away in any light.

"...in any light." Really?
Point of view, distance and lighting have everything to do with how much pink you'll see, if any.

When I do the mod, I will try and leave just the tiniest bit of pink rather than just painting it all black, but I'm definitely doing the mod.
Again, the pink areas around the eyes are way too prominent and out of scale making the eyes look bigger than they are.

I see we are in agreement, that's what I suggested above.

I see it in all light on the figure, save complete shadow. Even when it's not perceived as pink your eye sees a larger opening than you would if it were more black.

It does seem that we agree. I was mostly defending against your initial "useless mod" statement.

Thanks to you I will take care to leave just a bit of pink. Not sure how well I'll do, but I'm gonna try. :duff

Thanks to you I will take care to leave just a bit of pink. Not sure how well I'll do, but I'm gonna try. :duff

:hi5:
I really believe the best way to do it is to take the eye plate out like Tony did.
This will make precise painting easier, plus the metallic part that holds the head on the magnetic neck is designed to come out which makes things easier than with the DX12.
The real trick IMO is to find the right paint, one that doesn't reflect light.
I have a lot of different black paints, the one I used when painting my DX12's eyelids still reflects too much light and looks too much like the cowl.
It doesn't look bad in 1/6 but for a 1/4 figure I would want something darker and deeper than the cowl.
I'm starting to think that if I were to do this I would try to use actual makeup.
I'll have to look into my wife's stuff to see what I can find.

for my DX12 i actually used my gf's liquid eyeliner.

Gives a complete matte finish but due to that it isn't the deepest Black your going to get.

Still gives off a make-up/face paint effect similar to what he would have had to wear in real life. Not sure what it will look like in 1:4 but being make up it will wipe away with some water and cotton bud/pad

I really believe the best way to do it is to take the eye plate out like Tony did.
This will make precise painting easier, plus the metallic part that holds the head on the magnetic neck is designed to come out which makes things easier than with the DX12.
I have a lot of different black paints, the one I used when painting my DX12's eyelids still reflects too much light and looks too much like the cowl.
It doesn't look bad in 1/6 but for a 1/4 figure I would want something darker and deeper than the cowl.
I'm starting to think that if I were to do this I would try to use actual makeup.

can't you just cut the straps, and flip them upside down? When doing so the straps or 'buckle' is on the wrong side but switch hands and that should correct it. Or am i wrong lol, just thought i'd chime in. Pluse it will eliminate the flare and taper in a little better.

^^^ had the same thought. Only problem is the flare would still be there, just reversed.

I've got the perfect paint, I just can't find it at the moment. :mad:

Hey I thought the caruncle(i think the inner eyelid is called the tarsal)was that little red lump at the corner of the eye?!Where the sweat glands and tear ducts are but I could be wrong since it's been a long time I attended college!Anyway,THANX Tony and Maglor for your AWESOME MODS!^_^

Hey I thought the caruncle(i think the inner eyelid is called the tarsal)was that little red lump at the corner of the eye?!Where the sweat glands and tear ducts are but I could be wrong since it's been a long time I attended college!

Yes, that's what it is.

great picture, I see pink on his left eye, but non on his right, LOL. depends on the light and how he squint. I'lm gonna sculpt the eyelid up, so caruncle or not.... not gonna show for me :wink1:

So your going to sculpt the eye lids like you did on the DX12 to get rid of that bug eye effect?

Back