Modify tips for Hot Toys 1/4 Dark Knight Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welcome Patrick. :wave
Thanks for posting these, it is very useful to see how you removed the suit.
Still, I'm not sure I like the result, in my opinion the torso and legs now look too skinny and they looked great out of the box.
Just compare the arms to the torso on your picture, the proportions are now off.
Bruce Wayne would have to be extremely skinny to look like that with the suit on, this is Batman not The Machinist.
I believe that Maglor's idea of adding material under the belt section instead of removing the fatsuit is the way to go.

Okay here's my first post and I'm doing all of this with my phone so I hope it looks ok. Long time lurker from sunny Los Angeles- hope ya like. I've had this figure five hours and had to go in hard- some things were bugging me, and everything I did is completely reversible.

Fat suit had to go- just separate the glue from one side of the under arm strap so you can slide the shoulder pads off.

There are two zippers on the back, so unzip and slowly pull his undersuit off. It helps to give him a glass of wine and light some candles first to ease the tension. ..

Now with the fat suit removed, futzing is a breeze. There are also three pieces of padded foam that I removed, one on his belly and one on each inner thigh. Those had to go, but keep them in case you want to return back to stock.

-Patrick

Thanks for having the stones to strip off the suit, and welcome to the boards! Epic first post. :clap

I think Tourist maybe right about the thighs, but it looks like you can easily pad the legs and torso to fill out the suit. I think that it was just a matter of knowing how difficult it was to strip off the suit and having someone brave enough (or crazy enough) to do it on a $500 collectible. I'm hoping this will spur other people on to mod and tinker with the suit to achieve a close to perfect representation of Batman in their mind's eye.

I haven't received mine, so I don't know if I'll mod it yet. But knowing that such mods are even possible to do just in case I do find some nagging issues with the figure helps put my mind at ease.

Still, I'm not sure I like the result, in my opinion the torso and legs now look too skinny and they looked great out of the box.
Just compare the arms to the torso on your picture, the proportions are now off.
Bruce Wayne would have to be extremely skinny to look like that with the suit on, this is Batman not The Machinist.
I believe that Maglor's idea of adding material under the belt section instead of removing the fatsuit is the way to go.

Their is so much lens distortion in those pics that it's hard to say much about the proportions...

Dang it... I have this thing all boxed up to sell, now I have an overpowering desire to take him out and rethink the mod path again.

Can I bring myself to see this as a $500 kit is the question...

Their is so much lens distortion in those pics that it's hard to say much about the proportions...

Dang it... I have this thing all boxed up to sell, now I have an overpowering desire to take him out and rethink the mod path again.

Maglor Maglor...... sigh......

with the skills and talent you have, everything we own will eventually be a piece of art after the touch of our hands. I hardly have any figure as is out of box.... I find it fun doing little mods here and there to make it become a piece of my own. And with your vision and experience, I'm very sure it'll just end up to be another MASTER PIECE work from Maglor once again. I say keep it, money can always be make, but Maglor's custom will only be there once. :clap:clap

btw, your work has inspired me to move further and further..... keep it up, you are my inspiration :)

as for Legs extension

I made there little tubes at 1/2 inches tall.

- just take the boots off, and put these over the ankle connectors(when you take them off, you'll know what I mean)

- once the tube is in, just pop the boots back in. It sits nice and tight

- also will notice the ankle are not a bit more thick (which I like, but its hardly noticeable)

- it does not effect the articulation at all

- adds 1/2 inch taller to the figure, looks nicer next to the Enterbay Batman

- also for those who worry if the knee pad gap is too far away from the top of the boots, just pull the pants down a bit, it'll be perfect

Thanks for having the stones to strip off the suit, and welcome to the boards! Epic first post. :clap

I think Tourist maybe right about the thighs, but it looks like you can easily pad the legs and torso to fill out the suit. I think that it was just a matter of knowing how difficult it was to strip off the suit and having someone brave enough (or crazy enough) to do it on a $500 collectible. I'm hoping this will spur other people on to mod and tinker with the suit to achieve a close to perfect representation of Batman in their mind's eye.

I haven't received mine, so I don't know if I'll mod it yet. But knowing that such mods are even possible to do just in case I do find some nagging issues with the figure helps put my mind at ease.

This is what I see so far....

Cons
- I do like the fat suit right out of the box, it looks muscular and bulky

Pros
- better articulation, allow to do much more extreme poses
- allow the shoulder to sit lower and shoulder armor looks better just hanging down naturally

I do have to give xpnugget lots of credit for even trying to remove the fat suit before anyone else does. :clap:clap allow us to see the difference between with or without.

Not every modification will be a win from everyone's eyes, but if we don't try, we'll never know. I'm the type of customer who mod everything I own, its just more unique and fun that way. Even this figure is well over $500+, but its still a lot more affordable compare to some of the other hobbies I have like.... modifying cars, collecting exotics, antiques, remodeling house...... (not to mentions kids....eventually have to modify them too when I have some) that's just the fun part about life :lol

full respect for anyone who does any modification and willing to share :hi5: either its a win or not, its the effort of trying, taking pictures, uploading, and the courage and ideas that I respect the most. Keep them coming!!

Tough one.
We'd all like to see what you come up with but the important point is that you feel good about whatever decision you make.
No regrets allowed!

as for Legs extension

I made there little tubes at 1/2 inches tall.

- just take the boots off, and put these over the ankle connectors(when you take them off, you'll know what I mean)

- once the tube is in, just pop the boots back in. It sits nice and tight

- also will notice the ankle are not a bit more thick (which I like, but its hardly noticeable)

- it does not effect the articulation at all

- adds 1/2 inch taller to the figure, looks nicer next to the Enterbay Batman

- also for those who worry if the knee pad gap is too far away from the top of the boots, just pull the pants down a bit, it'll be perfect

Can I buy a set? :)

Oh by the way, I took the foam padded piece from his belly and stuck it right to his lower back under the suit to pull everything in tighter, as well as wedging one of the foam thigh pieces in between the belt and his back, outside of the suit of course. I think it really does help to get down to the bare true type just to actually see the joints and get a better understanding as to how you can pose and move this guy. I'm going to super glue small strips of velcro to the armpit strap on the shoulder pads for easy access, then glove mods, new cape, (it is kinds crappy) and who knows what else?

Also, to everyone saying that the kneepads are off to the sides and want to straighten them out, I really think they are supposed to be slightly facing out, just like the knee puck sliders on any motorcycle racing leathers- I have full leathers for riding and doing track days, and if the pucks were right on my kneecaps, it would hinder my movement and be hella uncomfortable. The costume designers knew he would be riding the bat pod, and used motorcycle racing elements as inspiration to the design and development, so keep that in mind-

Kinda like this...

Rawk on kids!

Ive always thought the same thing, just like the little elbow pieces as well,

Wouldn't be hard to prove. Just find a picture of Bale with his knee bent.

I'd be surprised if the pads are on the sides of his knees.

here is the neck collar mod I did (not necessary)
- for better articulation
- more screen accurate
- allow natural slouching appearance (gives that CB frustration effect)
- still WIP, need to make a mesh fabric piece to cover the extra....

1. take the upper armor apart by removing the glue seal from one side of the armor strap (I choose left side)

2. the goal is to remove the neck ring on the armor (it should be on the neck collar and not suppose to be on the armor (HT sculpted one on the neck, but also make another one on the armor for more thick appearance...., I prefer it to be on the neck

3. just simply pull if off, it should be fairly easy, since the glue isn't very strong to begin with....

4. that is how the neck collar ring looks like....

5. cut the extra plastic off the ring if you choose to..... I do it because I'll be making a mesh fabric piece right under to complete the full neck mod

your goal is to glue on the collar strap piece onto the neck. It'll be a bit long, so trimming is required

as you can see, the articulation is a bit better

back view, from all the movie scenes I can find, even the gallery book of Dark Knight, his collar straps has always been together and not separately

very natural :)

here are some reference pictures

Last edited:
Can I buy a set? :)

yes, contact me thru email, we'll discuss more there

Wouldn't be hard to prove. Just find a picture of Bale with his knee bent.

I'd be surprised if the pads are on the sides of his knees.

I agree, most of the protophotos are in the front not on the side. Then again, I'm very sure it slide to the side at time..... :lol

Thanks again for the kind words guys, I do think the legs are a touch too slim, I'll be keeping an eye on ebay for a fat suit that I could possibly cut in half and just use the legs, but as I said, this is completely reversible and definitely worth a shot- and I want those leg extentions! And Tony, that neck mod is awesomeness! :):)

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, the next step will be replacing the fat suit, but keeping the foam padded inner thigh and belly pieces off, I think that might be the ticket-

Thanks again for the kind words guys, I do think the legs are a touch too slim, I'll be keeping an eye on ebay for a fat suit that I could possibly cut in half and just use the legs, but as I said, this is completely reversible and definitely worth a shot- and I want those leg extentions! And Tony, that neck mod is awesomeness! :):)

I don't have enough of these legs extension, but if you open the boots up, you'll be able to use some vacuum hose to extend the height of it :) I'm only making these as gift for those who got a cape from me, once the supply is out, I'm not making them any more.

Oh and by the way, the next step will be replacing the fat suit, but keeping the foam padded inner thigh and belly pieces off, I think that might be the ticket-

I like that idea, just might cut away the fatsuit around the armpit section, and leave the rest. If you do take your figure/fatsuit apart, can you take a few shot of the inner 1/4 body? Really would like to see what the different is compare to the 1/6....

Damn. That's exactly what I planned to do tomorrow morning. :lol

I like that idea, just might cut away the fatsuit around the armpit section, and leave the rest. If you do take your figure/fatsuit apart, can you take a few shot of the inner 1/4 body? Really would like to see what the different is compare to the 1/6....

I plan to video record everything I do.

here you go : )

because it separated, you can either go with the TDK(right under the gauntlet) look or DKR style(tuck under the gauntlet)

How did you change the shape of the straps? They flair out, but yours don't.

Looks like the straps are are cut off. He then cuts off a fair amount of the glove itself. For a TDK look, he just pushes pushes the wrist peg through the straps, and they are just held in place by the glove. For a TDKR look, you just put on the gloves without the little strap rings.

Quite ingenious actually.

I like the way he has the cuts tapered so the glove fits inside of the straps part.

Do I have the right idea here?

Last edited:
Back