1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Hey guys I hada fellow freak ask advice on dull coat and thought I'd offer some helpful advice to those with shiny spots who are not so familiar with customizing etc.

DULLCOAT TO FIX SHINY SPOTS ON HEAD

Testors dulcoat in spray format is best to use,

https://mfpilot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_65_68&products_id=238

a few precautions... Make sure you shake the can well before spraying, these cans can sometimes be finicky and a weird mixture. 9/10 work great but every once in awhile... It's best to spray a random piece of plastic, an old toy, snapple bottle, whatever to test it first. it should dry almost immediately and there should be no glare or gloss whatsoever. If its completely flat its a good can and you can spray the head.

Hot toys heads take dull coat extremely well. But to ensure you don't mess up the gloss finish of the eyes and spray more than you need to its best to take regular masking tape and tape up all but a little larger than the area of the head that's got the marks. Especially cover up the parts you don't want affected like the eyes etc. Then you hit the exposed area with the dullcoat. don't douse it in it a light mist spray at least 8 inches away from the head. wait for it to dry, it should happen fast. Then if the spot is still there a bit its OK to hit it again. don't hit it more than three times because it might start to glob up, the trick is to keep it thin.

I'm willing to bet that when you take off that tape you would have a hell of a hard time trying to figure out what part was sprayed by dull coat and what was not. it's incredibly seamless on hot toys heads, must be the type of plastic they use, its great.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Ray

I REALLY appreciate this. I'm still nervous, but I may go ahead and give this a shot. Thanks Ray! :rock

Mine came today. Looks great. No snags. No shininess. S seems well-centered. Great figure.

SnakeDoc

I got a extra suit coming in the mail soon enough. :D

Found this link and read through it, kind of interesting, maybe posted long ago here.

https://www.capedwonder.com/is-it-silk/

And my S is straight enough, see..

8y89pv.jpg

Last edited:

After reading about picks I noticed a few on the arm of mine, but they're not bad, they're tiny. What should I do?

That's it, I've decided to just return my figure. It's too expensive, and the crooked "S" is killing me. I wish Sideshow would replace mine, but it looks like everyone wants something, and they're putting their foot down. I'm done with this figure. It's not worth the hassle. I really should never have ordered it blind, and should have just went and bought one in person.

That's it, I've decided to just return my figure. It's too expensive, and the crooked "S" is killing me. I wish Sideshow would replace mine, but it looks like everyone wants something, and they're putting their foot down. I'm done with this figure. It's not worth the hassle. I really should never have ordered it blind, and should have just went and bought one in person.

whoa settle, the figure is worth the hassle. give it one more shot. return your figure to ss and order from somewhere else. bbts has never let me down.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HOT10351&mode=retail

BBTS's listing states 'for USA market only', first time I've seen them list a figure with that restriction. Even their DX Jack 'long telescope' version doesn't have this on the listing.

So for heating up the base to fit the crystals with the hair dryer technique, do I heat up the bottom of the crystals, or the spots inside the base? or both?

Also, how long should I use the hair dryer for? Will I be able to tell?
Sorry, I'm a male, so first time using a hair dryer here.

The base sockets. Though I did both, I think the base is the only one that gets soft with the dryer.

It won't melt, just heat the ____ out of it. Like 30 seconds to a minute each.

Keep those fingernails neatly cut and buffed to avoid those snags. :lecture

Got mine yesterday. Uniform has a couple of minor snags that I can deal with... But the face has a pretty major case of five o'clock shadow. I haven't noticed anything like this in anybody's pictures. I wouldn't care if it was any other character, but Superman is basically the most cleancut hero ever so having a gritty face makes him look odd. Kinda like evil Supes from Superman III...

Will SS replace just the head?

Sallah

Wear gloves, problem solved.

With all replacement request for the smallest things (and not only for this figure), no wonder the HT figures are getting more expensive with every release: it's just calculated into the sales price.

Its funny how these threads are, everyone is psyched at first when they get these figures in and then POW! everyone hates em :lol. I can see why SS is putting their foot down. Perfection is a b#@& isnt it

Personally, I'm willing to accept imperfections in every figure I own because, well, they're all gonna be imperfect in some way, shape, or form. But Superman is such a simple figure, and doesn't have many frills, so what appears to be a minor issue, and may be hidden or easy to ignore on another figure, really isn't that minor when it is fairly obvious and noticeable on him.

And I think cost does play a role, and make concerns justifiable. This was something like $230 shipped for me. To pay that much, then to get a figure with dents, dings, bunched up pulls in the material, shiny spots on the head, and glue residue that I notice every time I see the figure, well. . .it can be a tough pill to swallow.

And it bums me out a bit that these issues are so pervasive that Sideshow apparently doesn't have enough extra stock to send out replacements. I've had that problem with the last two Hot Toys figures I bought, and hope this isn't part of a troubling new trend.

Back