Mister Ski's Marvel Collection and more

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received #308 of the EX version a few days ago and finally have some time to take proper pics of this guy and share my thoughts on it. When Jerry was first pitching the idea of a MOTU line and was asking for art style preferences, I will admit that I was one of the ones who preferred a mix of Filmation and realism, not 100% Filmation, which is ultimately what the MOTU line used. I was disappointed but pre-ordered He-Man for nostalgia purposes alone. Now that I have him in hand, I will readily admit that my fears about 100% Filmation "dumbing" down the statues was completely unfounded. When I opened him up, I went through a time warp back to when I was about 12 years old watching MOTU and started humming the theme song. He-Man and Orko both look like the just stepped out of the cartoon! The sculpts are 100% spot on and He-Man's hair (which was really tricky to get right) looks great with the "long haired" version. A shorter hair sculpt is also included. It was a nice touch on PCS's part to include both hair sculpts, but I will be using the long haired version only. The paint job is really well done too. You might think it is easier to paint a statue that has less details, but it is much harder to get shading and skin tones right. The end result is that both He-Man and Orko look fantastic! I am very happy with this initial offering from the MOTU line and I am now looking forward to the next ones (Beastman, Teela and Trapjaw) with Man-at-Arms going up for PO in the near future. I know that there have been significant delays with some of the statues from PCS (namely the Mortal Kombat Klassic line), but the wait is worth it to me because I have been extremely happy with every statue I have ordered from them so far. I am one of those people who would much rather wait a little longer for something that looks top notch than to have something rushed out that doesn't look like the prototype when you receive it. Enough of a review, now on to the pics.

First, a little music to get stuck in your head.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, dat da POWAAAAAAAAH of GRAYSKULLL!!!

This is one I still need and it prolly fell out of the loop on me collecting.

Ski

Massive congrats bro :clap best pics I've seen so far and I'm picking mine up on Monday :yess: like you said, this piece will take you back into some 80's nostalgia!! Love it!

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, dat da POWAAAAAAAAH of GRAYSKULLL!!!

This is one I still need and it prolly fell out of the loop on me collecting.

Ski

Thanks master. Good luck in your search for one of these. I'll let you know if I come across any.

Massive congrats bro :clap best pics I've seen so far and I'm picking mine up on Monday :yess: like you said, this piece will take you back into some 80's nostalgia!! Love it!

Thanks for the compliment Andy! I am looking forward to your pics tomorrow.

Congrats bro!

Thanks Darth!

Best review ever on He Man!!!! Spectacular pictures and intro before the show! Love it Ski!!

Thanks for the kind words James. My XM Cap pics are coming up next and I have you to thank for it.

After seeing in hand pictures of this statue from Tavegg, I ordered one for myself from Simply Toys. From payment to when he arrived at my door, it took 8 days. Very pleased with how fast this shipped out, but it paled in comparison to how blown away I was when I opened him up. He lived up to the hype and the expectations I had from seeing everyone else's pics and vids. He is extremely well done. I couldn't be more happy with this purchase.

Packaging
The packaging is a nice touch. Heavy, thick rugged cardboard box that holds the styrofoam shells strapped together with velcro straps. Not one single styrofoam popcorn kernel to get off of any of the statue parts! I don't know about anybody else, but I am willing to pay a little extra for this type of high quality packaging. Think about it, we spend hundreds of dollars on a high end collectible that is usually protected by cheap, weak, messy styrofoam. I hope Sideshow and other companies take note.

Sculpt
I never really had a strong preference for mixed media versus fully sculpted, but after seeing this Captain America in person, I have to say fully sculpted is the way to go (most times). The sculpt of Cap is fantastic. Every muscle is well defined. His face sculpt looks great too. There are countless tiny details throughout this sculpt, from the star on top of the flag pole (which is metal!!) to to stars on the heel of his boots, this statue has it all. The bullet casing are heavy and appear to be cast from some metal (brass?). You can place these anywhere on the base.

Paint
The paint job on mine is well done for the most part with a couple of minor mistakes (i.e. - there is some paint bleed from his glove on to the shield strap, but this is hidden behind the shield and can't be seen when displayed and the paint job on the blue eye cutouts on his mask are a little sloppy when looked at up close, but look fine from normal viewing distance.

Display Options
There are numerous display options for Cap with him holding his shield and flag to him holding nothing in each hand to everything in between. Lots of options means lots of pictures. I couldn't stop taking pics.

Weight
For those of you who equate weight with quality, then this guy has it in spades. No hollow sculpt here. Very heavy, solid piece. I think the base and Cap weigh about 25 lbs total.

Size
This version of Cap appears to be 1/4 scale and fits in seamlessly with other 1/4 scale PF from Sideshow.

Overall
Overall I am extremely pleased with how this statue came out. I look forward to more offerings from XM in the future (not really feeling the Black Widow PF yet, but Thanos will be a must buy). As new companies step up the competition, I think the buyers will benefit as a result. I still love my Sideshow Cap PF as it was the first PF I ever bought, but I think this version of Cap is right up there with it. Being a big Cap fan, you can never have enough Caps, so if you are a fan of Cap, then I highly recommend you look into purchasing this piece.

Onto the pics...

...but first some music.

More pics...

Dat azz! Actually, I was trying to get a close up of the pouches, but dat azz.

More pouches

Some paint bleed from Cap's glove onto the shield strap...

Cap's wings

Close up head shot

Extreme close up head shot (some sloppy paint around eye mask holes.)

Sharp lines on star on his chest.

Belt Buckle

We'll you know my thoughts already from the XM thread but bravo fine sir! Your pictures came out amazing! You captured a lot of he fine details on this piece. I'm glad you took the plunge and even happier that you were happy with the product in hand. I actually know a collector from SG that is in pretty good with the XM guys. I'm gonna shoot him an email on your behalf and see if there's anything that can be done to help you out. It's definitely minor and doesn't show from a distance like you already explained but I see it a little bit on the close up and for the money this costs I personally believe you should get a perfect one. I'll let you know what he says when I hear back

Very amazing acquisition bro!

Thank you Darth!

We'll you know my thoughts already from the XM thread but bravo fine sir! Your pictures came out amazing! You captured a lot of he fine details on this piece. I'm glad you took the plunge and even happier that you were happy with the product in hand. I actually know a collector from SG that is in pretty good with the XM guys. I'm gonna shoot him an email on your behalf and see if there's anything that can be done to help you out. It's definitely minor and doesn't show from a distance like you already explained but I see it a little bit on the close up and for the money this costs I personally believe you should get a perfect one. I'll let you know what he says when I hear back

Thanks for the help Tavegg. I really appreciate it. :hi5:

I received my Superman EX a few days ago and finally have some time to take some pics. I think he came out really well and while I like it, I have to say that I am not blown away by it either. I think the head sculpts are really good. I just wish the regular head sculpt was looking forward and I wish the EX head sculpt had more of a sneer/grimace/anger to it as he has just let loose his heat vision and his expression looks like he is bored. It was a nice touch on Sideshow's part to include the "short" and "long" heat vision pieces, but I had no patience trying to figure out which eye the short ones go into. besides the longer heat vision looks better, IMO. The fabric for the costume is really nice. The colors really pop. I'd probably give this an 8/10. A really good statue, just not a great one.

Here are some pics of mine...

WHOA! Three Main Scores my Friend, MOTU Adam, XM's Capt. and Superman, WOW! and not to take away anything from the other two but that Capt. is Incredible, Very Impressive Posts and Pic's Ski WOW!

Be Cool
Al

Fantastic pics Mikey! Massive congrats on this great statue. I've got my update coming tomorrow on this guy and He-Man and I have to say that I actually think that Superman is one of the best PFs I have seen to date :horror

I'm looking at Sideshow's pics and noticing that they were all angled downward, also it might be the angle but the frown on the smoke eyes head was a little more fierce. I'm definitely going to think about this purchase before I pull the trigger come processing email time. $400, I may just lose my deposit.

Although I'll come back to Cap and say, that is one impressive statue since the OG set the bar really high for any of them these years.

Ski

Back