Statue MEDUSA -(NEW Medusa 2015) MEDUSA VICTORIOUS ARH STUDIOS sneek peek and discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like both, I think I like the new one better though. Well, assuming the paint is a little more understated in hand, which I am guessing it will be. I think they have done two masterpiece versions though.

I might be in the minority, but although the original is great, I think the new one takes it up a notch.

If you want a true representation of Medusa, I think the original is more successful.
The new one is too pretty to be Medusa. She was cursed to be a Gorgon. Gorgons were never beautiful.
Some artists do their own spin on her, and that is how I view this piece. As a spin, ARH's version of her.

The Girls of Heavy Metal statue is kind of cool, but I would miss the tail.
HMO's is another pretty version of the character.

IMO, the ECC Medusa bust is closer to how she should look.

Last edited:
I like the original the best.
This new one is too pretty for me, being medusa and all.

I like the original the best.
This new one is too pretty for me, being medusa and all.
Agreed. It looks too much like a barbie with a tail. It is a beautiful sculpt, it just isn't Medusa. I don't think people understand who Medusa is. She is a gorgon, they aren't beautiful. She isn't beautiful to lure in men, that is a siren.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Agreed. It looks too much like a barbie with a tail. It is a beautiful sculpt, it just isn't Medusa. I don't think people understand who Medusa is. She is a gorgon, they aren't beautiful. She isn't beautiful to lure in men, that is a siren.

There are so many variations to the story of Medusa, and a pretty version of her is actually one of the stories.

Nobody knoews who medusa is cause she's a fictional character that's been retold a bajillion times ^^

Nobody knoews who medusa is cause she's a fictional character that's been retold a bajillion times ^^

Can you label Greek mythology as fictional? I understand that they could be variations on "myths" and real life stories, but is "fictional" politically correct when it is already labeled as "mythology." Kind of interesting.

True, but I go by the actual mythology. Not any variations.

Interesting sites:

Hit on the Head ? True Origin of Medusa ? The lady with the snake hair? Or Dreadlocks?

Wikipedia:

Μέδουσα "guardian, protectress")[1]*was amonster, a*Gorgon, generally described as having the face of a hideous human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair. Gazing directly into her eyes would turn onlookers to stone. Most sources describe her as the daughter ofPhorcys*and*Ceto,[2]*though the authorHyginus*(Fabulae*Preface) makes Medusa the daughter of Gorgon and Ceto.[3]

I am a traditional fan of mythology. I understand some, maybe most will go for an updated version of the character. That is fine. It is still a cool statue. It just isn't Medusa to me and there is nothing wrong with me sharing my opinion.

Last edited:
Can you label Greek mythology as fictional? I understand that they could be variations on "myths" and real life stories, but is "fictional" politically correct when it is already labeled as "mythology." Kind of interesting.

True, but I go by the actual mythology. Not any variations.

Interesting sites:

Hit on the Head ? True Origin of Medusa ? The lady with the snake hair? Or Dreadlocks?

Wikipedia:

Μέδουσα "guardian, protectress")[1]*was amonster, a*Gorgon, generally described as having the face of a hideous human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair. Gazing directly into her eyes would turn onlookers to stone. Most sources describe her as the daughter ofPhorcys*and*Ceto,[2]*though the authorHyginus*(Fabulae*Preface) makes Medusa the daughter of Gorgon and Ceto.[3]

I am a traditional fan of mythology. I understand some, maybe most will go for an updated version of the character. That is fine. It is still a cool statue. It just isn't Medusa to me and there is nothing wrong with me sharing my opinion.

the original didn't exactly have a human face nor was it really that hideous either.... Even if not fictional I don't think anything specifically had her well drawn out, I mean who would have seen her and then lived other then I suppose one of the gods? Myths themselves grow in telling, so maybe she actually did have a beautiful face. I'm a bit rusty here but wasn't the reason she turned into medusa because she was being cursed for her beauty. Wouldn't it be more tragic if she stayed beautiful but nobody could see her beauty and live to enjoy it or spread word of it?

Also calling it a barbie with a tail is a bit fanning the flames :p

the original didn't exactly have a human face nor was it really that hideous either.... Even if not fictional I don't think anything specifically had her well drawn out, I mean who would have seen her and then lived other then I suppose one of the gods? Myths themselves grow in telling, so maybe she actually did have a beautiful face. I'm a bit rusty here but wasn't the reason she turned into medusa because she was being cursed for her beauty. Wouldn't it be more tragic if she stayed beautiful but nobody could see her beauty and live to enjoy it or spread word of it?

Also calling it a barbie with a tail is a bit fanning the flames [emoji14]
Yes, Athena turned/cursed her to be a hideous gorgon. So technically she shouldn't be beautiful in gorgon form. Cursing a beautiful woman into being a beautiful creature doesn't make much sense.

If you like the story of a woman being beautiful, but dangerous then a siren would be fitting.

The original Medusa had a beautiful human face too. But it was made scarier with the red eyes and less appealing skintone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes, Athena turned/cursed her to be a hideous gorgon. So technically she shouldn't be beautiful in gorgon form. Cursing a beautiful woman into being a beautiful creature doesn't make much sense.

If you like the story of a woman being beautiful, but dangerous then a siren would be fitting.

The original Medusa had a beautiful human face too. But it was made scarier with the red eyes and less appealing skintone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

What's beauty if no one can see it :p

edit: Doing some quick googling it's pretty clear that there actually isn't really a set story for her. The stuff you linked was from Wiki and while it usually source stuff the part about her being hideous wasn't actually sourced so I have no idea where it came from. However apparently the current well known version of medusa (including the one on wiki) is actually really a version from "late classical poets". The depictions of her I could find that are actually from the appropiate time period have a lot of differences with Medusa (as well as the other gorgons).

They had legs, just scales and stuff like a snake.
They had wings
They had super round faces (like basically it was a full on circle)
They had beards

Also apparently her origin very well might not actually be greek mythology but instead "stolen" from North Africa by greek invaders where they mistook dreadlocks as snake hair. The red eyes were supposed to be menstrual blood, she wore a mask, and considering they had actual women walk around like this to scare outsiders they may well have been beautiful underneath. Also the turning to stone bit was cause they apparently carried around snakes in a pouch on their waist and I assume they turned them on some invaders and it killed them (Medusa's gaze also killed in earlier depictions apparently) or paralyzed them. Athena also apparently is a African goddess that was also borrowed.

So basically nothing you see is the "real" Medusa. If you really want a depiction of Medusa that's "accurate" apparently you get a statue of a black lady with dreadlocks, a crazy mask with blood red eyes, and bag of snakes strapped to her hip. Otherwise I'd leave the interpretation bit alone :p

2nd edit: I didn't even notice before but you actually linked a page where it mentioned she was originally an African goddess. The original is literally no closer then the new one :p

Last edited:
I do like rattle better then the regular despite the snake hair being poorer. I'll see which I like better when this actually releases :p

Back