Medicom Tetsuo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally...TETSUO!!

Dsc02456.jpg

It was down to like 7000 for a few days on amazon.jp but now it's back to around 10,000.

Kinda like the stock market....gotta buy while it's low....but sometimes the timing is off!

He's awesome though....great great face sculpt....robot hand is SWEET....even the cape is awesome, with the wire for posing and the burn marks on the edges. I love this figure!!

My Kaneda and Tetsuo just arrived yesterday:
akirafigs.jpg

These figures are really nice, I'm glad to finally get my hands on them. And I'm looking forward to Kaneda's bike, which should be shipping to me in a week or two...

DAMN! The pictures in this thread, combined with that AmiAmi sale are really making me want to order one of these... I'm at the checkout screen now. Should I? :horror

OK......if you DO order Tetsuo.....be SOOOOO freaking careful!! Do not even BREATHE on the feet or ankles!!

I got mine a few weeks ago and was overjoyed....but the first night I got him out of the package, I was checking out his boots. His are a much harder plastic than Kaneda's. It all happened so fast....there was a sickening SNAP and the left foot fell to the floor, the plastic of the ankle joint was severed in half. Just like that.

I sat in shock and horror....did my $200 figure REALLY just break right out of the box? Was this thing constructed THAT cheaply??

Fortunately, I could return it and get a replacement right away. I was much more careful with the new one and didn't even LOOK at the ankles...didn't want that to happen again.

But today, a morbid curiosity filled my mind. Was it just a fluke that my first figure was constructed to poorly and cheaply? I gently lifted the new figure....examined the left ankle and boot, just like the original toy....and then SNAAAPPP.

Just like that...it happened again. Exactly the same spot, same joint. And now, once again, I have a footless, crippled Tetsuo.

If I can get a replacement again, I will....and maybe this time I'll leave the damn thing in the box.....beautiful wonderful toy....but as fragile as tissue paper....

Anyone else have any problems with Tetsuo???

Was it the side to side ankle joint? It looks like a little upside-down arch with a roll pin in it. Yea, they are fairly fragile. The construction is flawed, roll pins are compressed when you press them into a hole. They are for use in locks and other METAL mechanical parts, not plastic FFS.

I took the boots off my Tetsuo when I got him & noticed one of the arches at the front had a crack in it.

I think I mentioned before that the boots suck, they should have been made of the same material as Kaneda.

Does it matter that much if it's broken? You can't pose the ankles in those boots anyway...:dunno

I guess it doesn't REALLY matter.....the boot will still stay on and the figure will stand.

But it's the principle of it. It's SO expensive...I shouldn't have a broken figure....TWICE....in the same place!! Not for that kind of money!

You are right though...the hard plastic of the boots sucks.....not at all like Kaneda's. If I get a replacement I won't even TOUCH either foot....I don't want this to happen a third time!

All I was trying to do was take the boots off, just to see what was underneath.....no stress or anything....and SNAP!!! No way would I EVER do that again, and I'd strongly advise anyone with these Medicom figures to just LEAVE THE BOOTS ON!!

Important thing to remember... is never try to remove plastic boots (especially harder ones) with out warming them in hot water first. Often times feet are crammed in there very tightly so w/o making the boot pliable first you are almost guaranteed to break it.

I have a busted Medicom body... you might be able to salvage the parts you need to repair it :huh

I know what you mean about a breakage, it gets to you just knowing it's there. Even if you can't see it. When your collection starts getting bigger in numbers you end up with a fair few "casualties". Either fix 'em or let it slide, it happens.

GB is right about the heating up. I use the old hair dryer when ever I mess with my 1/6 figs, takes longer to change out parts but it reduces the effort/force needed & as a result, the amount of breakages.

Thanks fellas. I'm fairly new to the "high end" 1/6th game...honestly these AKIRA dudes are my first....before this all I ever had was Hasbro stuff.

Funny how the more expensive stuff turns out to be way more fragile than the mass-produced "cheap" stuff...isn't it?

Stilll....I love seeing the 12" Kaneda and Tetsuo and the glorious bike all together on the shelf....it's literally a dream come true...something I've been wishing for since I first saw the movie back in 1990. I just wish they weren't so fragile!!

My second replacement Tetsuo arrived today....kind of a surprise really. A national crisis where store shelves are cleaned out completely, but someone took the time to deliver my toy to me! (I'm in Japan).....crazy!

My first one had his left ankle SNAP within the first 24 hours I owned it.

The second one lasted a week or so, but my morbid curiosity drew me to his left ankle, and SNAP!! Just like the first.

And today my third Tetsuo arrived. Any sane person would avoid the ankle forever right?? I wasn't gonna touch the ankle, honestly, I wasn't....

But I did. And to my surprise, it did NOT snap. I took the boot off as gently as I could, and the joint seems as good as possible, considering the shoddy construction. But it's got the proper range of motion and didn't snap in my fingers like the others. I caaaaarrrrrreeeefffuuuuullllllyyyy put the boot back on and now I will never ever touch the ankles again!

But honestly....I almost didn't give a crap when it arrived. Recent events have really put my toys in perspective. There's a good chance I'll have to evacuate the city or the country, and there's simply no way I could bring Kaneda and his bike and Tetsuo....just too BIG!! I don't know....a few weeks ago the broken ankle on Tetsuo really bothered me....today, not so much.

Back