Medicom RAH Boba Fett review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know, who cares...All 3 companies (SS,HT and Medi) make great,fun 12" figures.I agree that Medicom stuff is pricey,but there is no way Sideshow will top it unless they are charging $150 for theirs aswell.Medicom are the most realistic figures out there because they look like real minature people so the price is kinda justified.

Medicom are the most realistic figures out there because they look like real minature people so the price is kinda justified.

No way in hell are they that or would it even justify the price point. Medicom, to date, has had the most toy-looking headsculpts of any maker. There are some protos on the horizon that look improved, but to date they've all come out toyish. The sculpts are nice, but the paint apps have been extremely lackluster, a point where SSC has been at the head of the game, and HT is quickly gaining ground in. The clothes, in my opinion, are no different than what HT and Sideshow roll out, and the armor is no better than anything HT's done already, and I'm sure what armor SSC rolls out when the time comes, will be as good as what Medi used on this figure. Frankly, the rubbery armor pieces aren't much higher quality than the material used on my Vintage Hasbro Fett, only better paint apps. There is nothing about Medicom figures that set them out as being $150 figure, not one detail looks like something above and beyond what anyone in a $70-$90 range couldn't do. I believe in collecting as a collector, so I bought, enjoy, and am fine with the price of this Boba Fett figure, but as a rational person, no one could ever sell me on this figure being $150 piece.

No way in hell are they that or would it even justify the price point. Medicom, to date, has had the most toy-looking headsculpts of any maker. There are some protos on the horizon that look improved, but to date they've all come out toyish. The sculpts are nice, but the paint apps have been extremely lackluster, a point where SSC has been at the head of the game, and HT is quickly gaining ground in. The clothes, in my opinion, are no different than what HT and Sideshow roll out, and the armor is no better than anything HT's done already, and I'm sure what armor SSC rolls out when the time comes, will be as good as what Medi used on this figure. Frankly, the rubbery armor pieces aren't much higher quality than the material used on my Vintage Hasbro Fett, only better paint apps. There is nothing about Medicom figures that set them out as being $150 figure, not one detail looks like something above and beyond what anyone in a $70-$90 range couldn't do. I believe in collecting as a collector, so I bought, enjoy, and am fine with the price of this Boba Fett figure, but as a rational person, no one could ever sell me on this figure being $150 piece.

You dont think Medicoms stuff dont look like real minature People??? The Rah body is a realistic proportion.Sideshows bodies are not! The clothes on Sideshow figures is what hides the bulky body and long Arms.You dont think Sideshow isnt gonna use the same materials Medicom Uses to make Armor?
I agree,the medicom prices are high and make it hard to collect them,but there no way Sideshow will top Medicoms using that Art buck body

You dont think Medicoms stuff dont look like real minature People??? The Rah body is a realistic proportion.Sideshows bodies are not! The clothes on Sideshow figures is what hides the bulky body and long Arms.You dont think Sideshow isnt gonna use the same materials Medicom Uses to make Armor?
I agree,the medicom prices are high and make it hard to collect them,but there no way Sideshow will top Medicoms using that Art buck body

No, I don't think 90% of Medicom's offering look just like miniature people because of reasons I listed. Medicom Jack Sparrow, Hannibal Lecter, Wolverine and Luke Skywalker, to name a few, would not look realistic from any distance less than 20 feet away because of their sub par paint apps. For some reasons, I like Medi Jack better than HT, but facially, HT blows Medi out of the water. I'm not saying that Sideshow armor won't be the same as Medi or HT, in fact I expect that, but in that same regard, it is nothing that suggests the doubled price tag gives you doubled piece quality. I'll agree Medi has a nice base body, and HT is catching up with Sideshow making strides to get their as well, but nothing about the Medi body says it's design justifies the higher price point. And in no way, do I feel Medicom clothes show to be in any way superior to others or of a quality that suggests better realism or higher price. In my opnion, all 3 makers are about equal, each having their ups and downs, but if there was a 1/6 figure scoring card, the individual points would vary, but each's total would balance out in my opinion.

I really don't think that Maulfan's post is a Sideshow vs. Medicom argument. I think what Maulfan means, without speaking for him, is that as a property unto itself, Medicom is not any more realitsic than any other 1:6 figure maker, nor do they hold the magical powers to produce something that no other can/will produce just as sucessfully.

Looks like he spoke for himself (while I was typing this) and quite well I might add.

I really don't think that Maulfan's post is a Sideshow vs. Medicom argument. I think what Maulfan means, without speaking for him, is that as a property unto itself, Medicom is not any more realitsic than any other 1:6 figure maker, nor do they hold the magical powers to produce something that no other can/will produce just as sucessfully.

Looks like he spoke for himself (while I was typing this) and quite well I might add.

Exactly, I don't think any single company puts out a perfect item, but they all do impressive work. My only point is that each of these companies has it's positives and negatives, and that no positive of Medicom can justify it's cost so when it comes down to spending $150 on one of their figures, it's about wanting the piece, and not feeling you've made a sound investment.

Actually, it seems about the same to me. But maybe one of us isn't objective. :)

I feel I'm quite objective so it must be you. I point out issues with SS figures when I see them. Just because you do and I don't doesn't make me objective or just because you don't agree with what I say in my reviews doesn't make me not objective either. It seems I have to agree with everyone to be objective. Well, I see things my way so I consider myself pretty damn objective with SS stuff. There have been as many items from SS over the years I've been collecting them that I don't like or don't like something about that others do like completely. You can take recent pieces like the Elvis PF and I didn't like some stuff about the Faramir 1:6th just 2 name a couple pieces.

So as far as I'm concerned I'm pretty objective about a company I'm supposed to be blind to errors of. Something that doesn't appear that can be said by the Medicom folks that frequent this board.

ok, can't Resist. i have yet to get a single medi figure. I ALLMOST got Fett, i backed out last minute, but ony becuase of financial reasons. I started with SSC as far as collecting 1/6 goes. I'll admit that SSc has some issues with their bodies, but In my opinion they are relatively minor. In medi's defense, From what I've seen here, the RAH kai is an absolutley awrsome body, that can take and hold tons of poses, and looks very natural in most, if not all poses. The two places where medi comes up short (aside from the height compared to SSc and HT figures, but that's neither here nor there, blast you differing scales!) Is headsculpts, and paint applications. To be fair, lets have a look at two of them
here is a closeup of the medi luke
10042075s.jpg

and here is a closeup of the sidehow luke
main_icon_sideshowluke.jpg

aside from the goofy expression on lukes face, the sideshow one actualy looks like Hammil. Granted, he had that expression for a few scenes, but Man i wish his mouth was closed. anyways, medi's luke, just is not hammil to me.

BUT
here is the medi luke standing
SW_RealAction_JediKnight.jpg

and here is the sideshow luke standing
2104JediLuke.jpg

both hold decent poses, but the Medi luke looks, somehow more relaxed to me, the sideshow one can look natural, but only if you try to make him look like he's "striking a pose" and even in that catagory, the Kai will win, as it can take a greater degree of poses. Eventualy sideshow will get their bodies fixed, and hopefuly medi will get better sculpters and painters. Both companies are very good at what they do, but they also have their weak points.

my second complaint with their human figures, is that medi paints thier figures in an allmost anime-esque style. Looks great on figures like the full metal alchemist ones ( which, odds are, will be the first medi figures I actualy buy) but on figures of real people, meh, looks, I donno, wrong somehow.

I'm sure that with the team up with hot toys that SSC seem to be doing, we will be seing the armored figures this year, and we will have more points to compair them. As for SSc not being able to match the medi Fett? Bah, Fett's an easy costume to make. I've seen people with little to no costuming skill make 1:1 scale fett costumes that look great, and SSc is a profesional. Take a look at the Fett PF, and you get an idea of what they will do with a 1/6 Boba. you want my guess? We will see a ROTJ Fett by the end of next year, and it will be Just as good costume wise as Medi's, and if they get a better body from HT, hehehe, well, time will tell.

speaking of HT and SSC teaming up, considering that HT made the awesome Endo, i wonder how long it will be before we see a grevious in 1/6.....

Sideshow for me is generally awesome pretty much always... except for their bodies which are terrible. Pretty much every other companie's bodies on the market with the exception of some mass market stuff are much, much better. Asajj gives me hope though for the future. Her body is pretty on par with the rest of the female bodies out there.

I think as we see more from the SS/HT merger on work the body issue with be nada.

This is just something that Craford mused on right? There's no actual facts about that or anythign official. Saying that HT is merging with Sideshow makes no more sense than saying they're merging with Medicom.

SS and HT are working together. They created the Hobbit bodies and have said are working together to create other things (in the SDCC Video). So they're working together but not merging really. That was just the word choice I used.

Ah, good to know. I had no idea. I would think that bodes well for both companies. They seem to have a similar aestetic and while I think Sideshow's people really excel in the sculpting department Hot Toys really excels in the outfit/accesories department.

Yeah, i don't think that a merger is likely, you never know, HT could decide they want a better foothold in the american market. that would be one way to do it. Yeahm they helped design the new "child sized" bodies. I'm looking forward to seeing what else these two make by working together :)

I'm gonna keep saying it, becuase i'm sure that if i do, then it will happen.
Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous Grievous
new-general-grievous-1-738614.jpg

Ya know, who cares...All 3 companies (SS,HT and Medi) make great,fun 12" figures.I agree that Medicom stuff is pricey,but there is no way Sideshow will top it unless they are charging $150 for theirs aswell.Medicom are the most realistic figures out there because they look like real minature people so the price is kinda justified.

Someone doesn't need to release a $150 figure for it to be better. Ventress was $60 figure that I enjoyed quite a bit.

I've had $8 steaks that tasted a lot better than some $25 ones.

It's all in the preparation. SS does not need to make $150 figures when their $50 ones are just fine for their market. SS has had their misses. Hot Toys, Dragon, Takara, BBI and Medicom all have.

And Medicom, velcro on a $150 figure is cheap ass.

But in the end, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Problem Solved.

But in the end, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Problem Solved.[/QUOTE]

Well either way,I'll be buying from all 3 companies :lol

Back