Medicom R5-D4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look so beautiful, slick, and clean. I just want to handle them with gloves. There's something fragile about the way they look. Anyway such a shame they are as much as my car payment. (and almost as much as my child support.) lol

It will still be in the wrong size if it matches their R2.

I saw some pictures here where the Medi R5D4 seemed to be bigger than the Medi R2, so maybe the Medi would be a good match for Sideshow's? It looks really good except for the size problem.

The R5s have higher 'heads' than the R2 units - it doesn't mean the Medi droid will be in scale with SSC Threepio. :lol

I know. But I saw some pictures that made it look like the Medi R2 was smaller but I just realized there are pictures in this thread that disproves that:

DSC06238.jpg

I'm still working on modding one of my Taito R2's to a R5D4, that one will be the correct size at least. :lecture

droids.jpg

It will still be in the wrong size if it matches their R2.

I saw some pictures here where the Medi R5D4 seemed to be bigger than the Medi R2, so maybe the Medi would be a good match for Sideshow's? It looks really good except for the size problem.

Sadly the size issue with R2 will be talked about with every AstroDroid release to come.

Is this figure any bigger than the Hasbro R5-D4 or same size?

I seem to remember the Hasbro and Medi R2's are around the same height.

If you like droids, treat yourself if its only $84. Mine is in isolation so I don't care about scale, just a desk buddy. (majorly obsessed over r5 units though so I am biased)

I've never looked at this, but at 85 bucks, it looks pretty damn nice.

I finally picked one of these up for $104 minus $30 for signing up for an Amazon credit card. It arrived yesterday from Nippon.

So for net $74, this droid is wonderful. Yes, it is undersized and will be out of scale with R2-D2, but it is not unheard of in life to have larger and smaller variants of a theme, like many mobile phone releases. Sideshow's will be twice as expensive if they even bother, so yeah.

Edit: I just checked and Sideshow says R2-D2 will be 6.75 inches, whereas Medicom's R5-D4 is 6.5 inches, so the scale difference is virtually nil. Of course this may mean Sideshow undersized R2.

Last edited:
Yeah, this Medi R5 is a nice little piece unto itself. I've always been teetering on whether to get it or not at some stage (like their Jango) but I bet once I do - someone else will release a properly scaled version. :lol

I finally picked one of these up for $104 minus $30 for signing up for an Amazon credit card. It arrived yesterday from Nippon.

So for net $74, this droid is wonderful. Yes, it is undersized and will be out of scale with R2-D2, but it is not unheard of in life to have larger and smaller variants of a theme, like many mobile phone releases. Sideshow's will be twice as expensive if they even bother, so yeah.

Edit: I just checked and Sideshow says R2-D2 will be 6.75 inches, whereas Medicom's R5-D4 is 6.5 inches, so the scale difference is virtually nil. Of course this may mean Sideshow undersized R2.

The R5-D4 "head" is taller than the regular R2 head though, so R5 probably should be about 7 1/4" tall to be in scale with a 6 3/4" R2.

But yeah, this Medi R5 still looks amazing and you got a great deal (Medi pricing is as big a problem as their scale.) Can you post some pics and some with other figs to give an idea of scale? There aren't many pics of this guy for some reason. Would love to see how the detail compares to the Hasbro version, which I seem to recall looked pretty decent too.

Can you post some pics and some with other figs to give an idea of scale? There aren't many pics of this guy for some reason. Would love to see how the detail compares to the Hasbro version, which I seem to recall looked pretty decent too.

Here is a line-up:

attachment.php

Roll-call: SSC Tusken Raider, Taito R2-D2, Medi R5-D4 and Jawa, Hasbro Death Star Droid.

Last edited:
Back