Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
437dff476bd95824750e6aa90e06bcd8.jpg

Watched Akira again, can't get enough of it! [emoji173]️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love Akira.

I love Otomo Katsuhiro.

Since nobody in my real life understands my obsession, I figured I'd post some updated photos of my current set up, if you kind folks will indulge me.

View attachment 102363

Here you can see the three generatons of BanDai Kanedas and Bikes. On the right is the Yamato plastic statue from about 10 years ago. Also note the "Hong Kong" exclusive "Key" that was in the pill container that came out with the Soul of Popynica bike in 2004. Behind it is the really nice box for the limited edition Kaneda G-Shock Casio watch, limited to just 1000 pieces. On top of that is the box for the original BanDai Akira bike from 1988. A very small CD-Rom that Otomo made called "Gondola" is there next to "Kardia" which was the official soundtrack to the GENGA art exhibit held in spring of 2012. Behind that with the large stupid glare in the middle is the AKIRA Japanese laserdisc, first edition unfortunately. I don't have the later ones with better artwork. And next to that is the LP soundtrack to the comic book "Domu" which has some exclusive Otomo artwork inside.

Not pictured would be the Medicom/BM! Tetsuo, all the McFarlane stuff...the K+M capsule figures, trading cards, Famicom games and etc. Just for space reasons. I kinda have to pick and choose what I display at any given time. Also not pictured...all the Japanese and English AKIRA DVDs and Blu-rays and VHS copies I've accumulated over the years!

View attachment 102368

Here's a wider shot of the corner. You can see the exclusive shopping bag from the GENGA exhibit as well as the recent Commes des Garcons shopping bag. Also in that cardboard tube is the LARGE GENGA exhibit poster, but I haven't hung it yet. I have the smaller one "Good Weather" hangining just out of view of the picture. You can also see my Otomo books in the shelf.

View attachment 102369

And here are most of my Otomo books. From left to right....GENGA Art Exhibit book, Posters, Oversized "Farewell to Weapons" deluxe edition, Kaba, Kaba 2, Viva Il Ciclissimmo!, Hansel and Gretel, Akira movie theater program, Akira Animation Archives, Short Peace Character Design Book, Geijutsu Shincho Magazine Otomo Special, Brutus Magazine Otomo Special, Brutus Magazine Otomo Issue and "Park", AKIRA Club English Hardcover, Continiuty of Akira 1 and 2, Brutus "Who is Otomo Katushiro?", Memories, SOS, Eureka Magazine Otomo Special, Short Peace, Highway Star, Good Weather, Sayonara Nippon, Kibun wa mo Senso, Boogie Woogie Waltz, Domu, Pafu Magazine Otomo Special. And the last books are the English versions of Tatsumi Yoshihiro's stuff which is freaking awesome. Also, notice the Short Peace Theater Program all the way on the left side. Whew!

Not pictured would be my four complete sets of AKIRA....in Japanese B+W, Japanese Color, original Epic 1-38 in Color, and orginal Dark Horse 1-6 B+W. And Japanese copy of AKIRA club which actually has slightly different content. And Memroy of Memories, the anime book. Also, Domu and Memories Collection in English. All back in storage in America. Also the original issue of Young Magazine that had Orbital Era from 2001, which was a real pain in the butt to finally track down. Kinda irked me that it was reprinted in Kaba 2, but oh well. Hopefully someday Apple Paradise will be reprinted as well. Still need to buy the Steamboy storyboard books as well.

I spent a LOT of money and time getting all this stuff and I know it's not even close to complete. Anyone in Japan could probably get all this stuff on yahoo auctions and in Mandarake within a short amount of time, but I'm still proud of it. No, I don't have any cels, which would be freaking amazing. Or my holy grail....an autograph from the man himself. God that would be mind-blowing.

But I DID see him. I didn't get to talk to him, but we were in the same room last year during the Short Peace premiere, so I am that one step closer to my goal.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. Thanks again to the one and only Otomo-sama for all the amazing work over the years!! Here's to many more!

Omg! I envy you getting all of that glorious merch! I'm so jelly!!! [emoji173]️
I do own some Akira/Otomo goodies myself though, hehe [emoji4]
28bec6f35a6a285e1537516d1b37291b.jpg
5df8b1cfcbe78bfb3813d6a768bbbee1.jpg
a9379cc280b2d5be1ee5455e76163478.jpg

Yeah, I've seen the Volks bike once in person, in Akihabara years and years ago, way before the BM bike ever came out. I was really impressed with the SIZE but whoever built it didn't do a great job. The one in your pics if definitely the nicest one I've ever seen...looks gorgeous!!

And Home Theater Geek....believe it or not, I actually HAVE an extra copy of that manga! (Kibun wa Mo Sensou)

BUT!! I think it's at my parents' house in America! I'm going to talk to them this weekend on skype, so let me double check. If the extra copy is there, I'll have them send it to you. If not, I can grab another one here and get it to you...as long as you don't mind a used copy; it's a really common book here and not very expensive. (But maybe you can paypal a few bucks for shipping!;))

I'll let you know after I talk to them!

And thanks for the kind words on my collection....I'm really happy with the stuff I've got but there are always people out there with SOOO much more than me. Some of the stuff I see on yahoo auctions drives me crazy with jealousy.

One of my holy grails was this gigantic subway poster for the Akira DVD back in 2001...I saw it in person once. About a year ago a guy was selling it for over a thousand dollars. I don't know if it sold or not....I couldn't afford it.

You have a Tetsuo cel though! I don't have any cels....god I'd love to own one some day.

You also managed to get the commes de garcon bag...very cool! And I see you have GENGA which is the ultimate Otomo art book, in my opinion. You should pick up POSTERS if you haven't already!

My latest additions were a copy of Young magazine from 1986 with the Akira cover....

Also got the vinyl LP by Aya Nakano that he did the cover for....and I also just got a small promo poster Otomo designed for a Jazz festival in Tokyo last month!

mag-ym861215.jpg
bad habit.jpg
jazz.jpg

omg! really?? thanks so much!! i would happily pay that! thank you! :D
you're most welcome! i'm a huge Otomo fan and i would also love to meet him! he is a legend
i started my hobby from 1994, when my brother got me to watch Akira, i think it started about 1am, haha! but damn, it was freaking awesome, it still blows me away now!
my collection grew over the years, managed to see the life size Kaneda bike at the Shi Nen Kai convention in London around 1999, that was an awesome experience, got 2 PVC statues of Kaneda and Tetsuo, but they are boxed up at the moment, lol

got a signed book, by Helen McCarthyat the con also, plus a mini book of Akira *Kodasha ANIME comics*
he will always be my number one manga artist!

ooh i was looking for that Young magazine also! you're so lucky! :D

i want to get everything to do with Akira/Otomo, hehe

love your new haul!

Yeah, I've seen the Volks bike once in person, in Akihabara years and years ago, way before the BM bike ever came out. I was really impressed with the SIZE but whoever built it didn't do a great job. The one in your pics if definitely the nicest one I've ever seen...looks gorgeous!!

And Home Theater Geek....believe it or not, I actually HAVE an extra copy of that manga! (Kibun wa Mo Sensou)

BUT!! I think it's at my parents' house in America! I'm going to talk to them this weekend on skype, so let me double check. If the extra copy is there, I'll have them send it to you. If not, I can grab another one here and get it to you...as long as you don't mind a used copy; it's a really common book here and not very expensive. (But maybe you can paypal a few bucks for shipping!;))

I'll let you know after I talk to them!

And thanks for the kind words on my collection....I'm really happy with the stuff I've got but there are always people out there with SOOO much more than me. Some of the stuff I see on yahoo auctions drives me crazy with jealousy.

One of my holy grails was this gigantic subway poster for the Akira DVD back in 2001...I saw it in person once. About a year ago a guy was selling it for over a thousand dollars. I don't know if it sold or not....I couldn't afford it.

You have a Tetsuo cel though! I don't have any cels....god I'd love to own one some day.

You also managed to get the commes de garcon bag...very cool! And I see you have GENGA which is the ultimate Otomo art book, in my opinion. You should pick up POSTERS if you haven't already!

My latest additions were a copy of Young magazine from 1986 with the Akira cover....

Also got the vinyl LP by Aya Nakano that he did the cover for....and I also just got a small promo poster Otomo designed for a Jazz festival in Tokyo last month!

View attachment 225674
View attachment 225676
View attachment 225675

437dff476bd95824750e6aa90e06bcd8.jpg

Watched Akira again, can't get enough of it! [emoji173]️

I enjoy the comic more actually, but takes more time to read the whole set, in full color of course.

I also watched Freedom, wasn't expecting much before watching just though it's just some Nissin commercial show, but the story is quite good. just the cell shade, never really like the style.

I was super disappointed with Freedom. I got all excited at first cause of the Otomo designs...but other than the character design and some mech design, he had nothing to do with it. I bought the first few DVDs and even the Takeru and tricycle toy, and I regret it once I watched the cartoon.

I was super disappointed with Freedom. I got all excited at first cause of the Otomo designs...but other than the character design and some mech design, he had nothing to do with it. I bought the first few DVDs and even the Takeru and tricycle toy, and I regret it once I watched the cartoon.

i think the story is quite good. not sure which part you watch until.

I enjoy the comic more actually, but takes more time to read the whole set, in full color of course.

I also watched Freedom, wasn't expecting much before watching just though it's just some Nissin commercial show, but the story is quite good. just the cell shade, never really like the style.

Ooh I totally love the manga version! Read it quite often, hehe

Ah yes, I know what you mean about Freedom, I have the box set, I thought that style of animation isn't that great either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pulled the trigger on mine! Got the BP bike, panels with stickers, Kaneda and Akira in one swoop. And it was still all factory sealed brand new! Super come up!
a6b8bfde319dc66beebc931fcc8c0177.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back