Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yamato hs is pretty cool too bad its 1/8.
Would have made a Nice manga version custom.
Anybody has both to compare sizes? you never know:)

Last edited:
I have both, but the Yamato statue is in America and I'm in Japan!

But no, it's woefully undersized to compare to the 1/6th figure and bike, and it's far too big for the 1/12th bike. So it's really stuck in the middle and only compatible with his "throne'!!

Still it's a really great display piece if you can get it at a good price. I was not as impressed with the Tetsuo by Yamato...I never picked that one up. I know they were going for the manga look, but it just wasn't quite good enough for me.

That pic is god kicker773. Love it. I wish i had one but 1200 is pushing it for the figure,bike, and exclusive cowling set. Anybody find it cheaper?

Anybody know of any good collectible cases I can put the bike and figure in? I have found some, but none are big enough for it. I don't want a big wall of shelving I just want a display case like you would see model cars in.

Anybody know of any good collectible cases I can put the bike and figure in? I have found some, but none are big enough for it. I don't want a big wall of shelving I just want a display case like you would see model cars in.

If you live near a plastics shop, get one made; it's not a huge expense especially when you get a case that is exactly right for what you're putting in it.

Acrylic casings (custom made) are pretty expensive, compared to glass made aquariums. An Arcylic casing that fits the Kaneda Bike probably gonna cost you 2/3 of a Detolf shelf. Also most likely you gonna get those simple 5 piece glued casing with ugly sides.

If you live near a plastics shop, get one made; it's not a huge expense especially when you get a case that is exactly right for what you're putting in it.

Prices might be different in the us, but custom made acryl for this size is highly expensive, for my budget, here. I was going with an Aqurium as well, was arround 20bucks.

attachment.php

Last edited:
You know I never thought of looking at the glass made aquariums. That is an awesome idea! Thanks for the suggestions.

Hey I have a question for all you lucky people that got the exclusive cowl parts!!

It always bothered me that I missed the early production run with the blank cowl + stickers.....so when I saw one up for sale on amazon japan for only $50 I just couldn't resist.

It arrived today and I want to make sure it's in "new" condition as advertised. It seems to be sealed with only a single piece of tape on each side.

I'm usually not a "keep it sealed" kinda guy, but this is actually a pretty rare piece and it's not terribly exciting to open it up, so I just want to make sure that mine is indeed in factory condition.

For those of you that got this, was that how it was originally sealed, just tape on each side?

It's weird not opening a toy....I mean, I don't REALLY know what's inside....but the box has great artwork so at least I can display that.

Thanks for your time!

I had a dig in the cupboard & it is just sealed with a bit of sticky tape.

I still have the bike setup on my desk, it's been there since I got it - too awesome to move it anywhere else!

Just open it up and remove the Seal & Residue altogether, it'll worth more in the long run because tapes will damage the box & leave marks if you leave it there for few years, it will eventually harden and come off leaving you a thick patch of the sticky part on the tape.

Unless it's some special seal then you might want to remove it carefully and put it on a piece of sticker backpaper.

Hey I have a question for all you lucky people that got the exclusive cowl parts!!

I just couldn't resist....I opened one side and took a peek at what was inside. The cowl parts and stickers were all brand new and still sealed. I had to leave them that way!

But man, it's so awesome to OWN this...I finally feel complete!! I always regretted missing out on the exclusive parts, and to grab it brand spanking new for only $50 was just too good to pass on!

Look at all this BanDai glory!!!

Hey AKIRA fans, check this out!!

I first saw AKIRA way back in 1990 at a local art-house movie theater. I was in junior high at the time. I really loved the movie and wanted more merchandise...toys, t-shirts, anything.

At the time there wasn't much to choose from. The English version fo the comic was coming out from Marvel comics and that was about it. I had no idea the Bandai toy existed and back then without the internet, I wouldn't have been able to get one anyway.

The company that distrubuted AKIRA in the US was called Streamline Pictures, run by (the late) Carl Macek, who also brought us Robotech. Streamline sent out a newsletter every now and then and they offered the only "official" Akira merch available at the time. The US movie poster, the English dub on VHS, and a making of on VHS.

There was also a really crappy Tetsuo statue produced by Graphitti Designs, but it was way over-priced.

And sometime around 90, or 91, they offered what was basically the ONLY figures from AKIRA that I was ever aware of....two small, non-articulated PVCs. The pictures in the newsletter were so grainy I could barely make them out. One was supposed to be Kaneda and the other Tetsuo. I think they were only like 5 or 6 bucks each, but back in 1991 when you're in Junior High? That was a fortune...I never bought them. I believe they were also offered by American Entertainment, another mail-order comic book distributor.

I never got them, I never saw them in person, and I forgot about them. Eventually, we finally got GOOD Akira figures and toys.

And then last night I found nice big clear pics of them on the internet. Man, these things are awful!!

First of all, they are both Kaneda. One is supposed to be how he looked on the movie poster, and the other is how he looked late in the manga series, although he is sporting what looks like some kind of Buck Rogers ray gun. (This was the one mis-labeled as Tetsuo)

What a crazy oddity...these were sold by Streamline and American Entertainment as OFFICIAL Akira merchandise....but they look like such terrible Mexican bootlegs it's funny!! I wonder if they really were approved by MASHroom/Kodansha.

It's cool to finally see evidence of these things over 20 years later....and yes....as weird and crappy as they are....I still want them!!!

Anyone have these in their collection?

I just couldn't resist. I went ahead and bought these two guys.

I was surprised at how big they were actually. About 4 inches. I was expecting something a little smaller.

One thing is for sure...they are UGLY. Just terrible sculpts. The comic style one looks like a Charlie Brown character and the poster style one looks like it has a peanut for a head.

But these DO say "Akira Committee" on them. I believe as bad as they are, they are genuine licensed products from around 1990 or 1991. I think they're cool cause of the history/nostalgia behind it, and as far as I can tell, these are REALLY rare cause I don't see these come up for sale often...or ever!

Definitely a cool oddity for my collection, but not something I wanna keep in the display for a long time...they're just too damn ugly!

Shown here with a GI Joe figure for scale comparison:

Back