Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion - the overall patterns used by Medicom for Kaneda is great. The problem is that they used a thin vinyl material to make the suit look like the proper scaled suit. And the thin vinyl doesn't hold its form well in certain parts of the suit. The collar and the edges of the jacket in particular look sloppy and shapeless.

In order to look nice - the suit needed to either have interior lining or at least lining support around the edges and the collar and sleeves - if they use thin vinyl. But that adds bulk.

With a leather suit - you could maintain accurate form without having to add lining or support lining - which avoids adding bulk.

Last edited:
Basically the ****ed it up.
The change of body make it look better but tinister Will make it trully a masterpiece :)

Agreed on the throne, would be really cool to order one.

I'm not gonna lie.....I love these toys. But I will still admit that they are just too damn BIG. They take up way too much space. It's no necessary.

In my mind, the perfect AKIRA toys still don't exist. The closest was the 2004 Soul of Popynica bike and figure. And almost 10 years later, the bike is still just about perfect. It's the figure that's the problem. Just a lump of unarticulated plastic...juuuuust out of scale too.

If Figma or SH or one of those other companies made a properly articulated Kaneda in that scale? Well ****....I'd be in pig-heaven. Just imagine....a 5-6 inch Kaneda....FULLY articulated...with swap out parts and optional heads and hands and stuff.....everything the BM figure offered but in a smaller, handier scale.

And Tetsuo too. Flesh arm. Metal arm. Crazy blob arm. Or even pre-accident Tetsuo, with bike! And Yamagata!!! And Kei!! And Joker!! All articulated....all with scaled bikes.

And the Colonel.....and the doctor. And the three psychic kids....all in scale with accessories......

Sigh. I've been dreaming of this since 1990 when I saw the movie in an arthouse in Cleveland Ohio. And now I'm a 35 year old man and it's still never going to happen. But a man can dream right? And at least I have the various scales of Kaneda bikes.....that's a dream come true right there isn't it?

But I still wish for a 1/12 scale line of figures and bikes......my one true holy grail dream wish item......never gonna happen though.....but I'll always be able to picture them in my mind.

I'd be in for a replacement Kaneda Jacket for sure. the original although nice quality doesn't sit well at all. The shoulder area sits badly and is made out of too thick material so it has very little give. It slopes the shoulders unnaturally and cuts most of the back of the jacket out under the sleeves etc.

The pants are fine really and the undershirt

I'm not gonna lie.....I love these toys. But I will still admit that they are just too damn BIG. They take up way too much space. It's no necessary.

In my mind, the perfect AKIRA toys still don't exist. The closest was the 2004 Soul of Popynica bike and figure. And almost 10 years later, the bike is still just about perfect. It's the figure that's the problem. Just a lump of unarticulated plastic...juuuuust out of scale too.

If Figma or SH or one of those other companies made a properly articulated Kaneda in that scale? Well ****....I'd be in pig-heaven. Just imagine....a 5-6 inch Kaneda....FULLY articulated...with swap out parts and optional heads and hands and stuff.....everything the BM figure offered but in a smaller, handier scale.

Having them as figma scale would certainly be great.....but with those complicated licenses issue, guess it won't be happening anytime soon.

unlike you guys, i actually prefer the larger scales. just looks better in my opinion and carries more of a presence. but to each their own. i've been looking for this set forever it seems, but the prices are bordering insane right now. totally hate myself for missing this when it came out. but i just can not bear myself to pay what some people are asking for it (on ebay the bikes are going for close to 1,000!) i just can not justify to myself that any 1/6 anything is worth a grand....

Since the bike and Kaneda product licenses were granted to two different companies, so guess it would be pretty hard get it as set (kinda) alike last release in terms of timing.

Last edited:
well wished i were able to get the bike (with pre-order parts) back then but the seller couldn't confirm with the parts & i missed the boat.

if there were any japanese vehicle worth collecting it'd be Kaneda's Bike.

There's an old 1/6 Kaneda i remember, not sure whether the jacket is better or worse but i find the Medicom Kaneda very accurate already. Maybe 2-3 years younger than the show though.

Also don't forget the McFarlenes, there were like 2 versions of Kaneda & Bike & 1 Sitting on Throne PVC statue.

I recalled that the jacket of latter verison (so as the hs) was better than the first one that release in early 90s.

Isn't Hot Toys doing a bike? Or I could be wrong.

naw, i'm pretty sure you're wrong on that....i'm sure i woulda heard that if that was true. and if that ever did become a reality, i could literally stop collecting all together with that alone and be happy.

well wished i were able to get the bike (with pre-order parts) back then but the seller couldn't confirm with the parts & i missed the boat.

if there were any japanese vehicle worth collecting it'd be Kaneda's Bike.

There's an old 1/6 Kaneda i remember, not sure whether the jacket is better or worse but i find the Medicom Kaneda very accurate already. Maybe 2-3 years younger than the show though.

Also don't forget the McFarlenes, there were like 2 versions of Kaneda & Bike & 1 Sitting on Throne PVC statue.

the McFarland versions are very inaccurate. If you want a good kaneda's bike on the cheap the best bet is Bandai's soul of popynica version. Pretty much the same as the 1/6 version minus the lights and sounds.

I have both but the Bandai still in the box. Without comparing side by side or picture with bike, can't really tell the inaccuracy. The McFarlane was pretty impressive when it came out and on the spot shouts Akira! I don't mind the logos were off.

The original version of McFarlane Kaneda was also pretty good especially the body sculpt. The Bandai Kaneda seems abit too skinny.

And the original ultra rare 1/6 Kaneda i think was released late 90's or early 00's. It was released with another 2 masked soldier.

I googled the pics, i think even though Medicom looks better, the facial of the old figure seems more anime accurate. Like i said the Medicom Kaneda looks like he's 2-3 years younger than in the movie.

The Kaneda sitting on couch pvc statue should be the most accurate Kaneda, too bad it wasn't painted with matte finishing so it gave a cheap figure feeling.

Makes me wanna get the McFarlane Akira with Throne.

the McFarland versions are very inaccurate. If you want a good kaneda's bike on the cheap the best bet is Bandai's soul of popynica version. Pretty much the same as the 1/6 version minus the lights and sounds.

I have both but the Bandai still in the box. Without comparing side by side or picture with bike, can't really tell the inaccuracy. The McFarlane was pretty impressive when it came out and on the spot shouts Akira! I don't mind the logos were off.

The original version of McFarlane Kaneda was also pretty good especially the body sculpt. The Bandai Kaneda seems abit too skinny.

And the original ultra rare 1/6 Kaneda i think was released late 90's or early 00's. It was released with another 2 masked soldier.

I googled the pics, i think even though Medicom looks better, the facial of the old figure seems more anime accurate. Like i said the Medicom Kaneda looks like he's 2-3 years younger than in the movie.

The Kaneda sitting on couch pvc statue should be the most accurate Kaneda, too bad it wasn't painted with matte finishing so it gave a cheap figure feeling.

Makes me wanna get the McFarlane Akira with Throne.

OK, I'm really **** about this stuff so I thought I'd make some minor corrections.

The first Kaneda toy was released by BanDai when the movie came out back in 1988. It's a tiny 1/35 scale rubber figure on the bike. The bike is actually quite nice for it's size, and is mostly diecast. The figure is a one-piece rubber figure in a fixed pose with almost no paint apps. Still, for 1988, it was pretty cool.

Then there was a long dry spell. It's possible that there were unauthorized toys or garage kits made in Japan, but I'm unaware of them.

The next real toy we got was from McFarlane in late 2000. He made the bike and an almost-fixed pose Kaneda that could not ride the bike. All he could do was stand there. McFarlane added lots of "details" to make the figure more "realistic" and it was not very close to the source material.

A year later, he re-released the bike (tweaked to be longer) along with a new figure that could actually ride it. The bike now had "battle damage" and dirt and scratches painted on it, along with the completely inaccurate stickers. This Kaneda was a little better than the last one, but still not close to the anime or manga.

Around the same time, there was a one time only release by Medicom at the summer Wonderfest in Tokyo. Kaneda was released as a 12" figure, strictly limited to 300 pieces, along with Neo-Tokyo Cop A and B, who were even more limited. This figure has been valued around $1000 since then. There IS a board member here that has one and has posted pics here....it's awesome, but limited to what toy technology was at the time.

A comany named Volks made a 1/6th scale model kit of the bike. In resin. Unassembled and unpainted, it stall ran several hundred dollars. It was VERY limited. It's size was impressive, but the sculpt of the bike was way off. Still, the idea of a 1/6th bike happening again was so unlikely, I'm sure most people were thrilled to get this.

Also, starting in 2002, were sets of mini-figures, sometimes called "vignettes." Small, fixed-pose figures with mini dioramas. A few of them had Kaneda on his bike. These too, were sculpted rather oddly. The bike was passable, but not accurate. And Kaneda's face looked weird. There were three series of mini-figures from 2002-2004.

And in 2004 of course came the gorgeous Soul of Popynica Kaneda's Bike. Other than the figure, an almost-perfect rendition and my personal favorite for size and accuracy. Original retail 6800 yen in Japan....no idea what it's currently going for on ebay or amazon. Surely interest in the big one drove down the prices on this one.

And last, there was a "statue" by Yamato that was Kaneda sitting in the "junk throne' based on art by Otomo. Came out around 2004-5. The figure is also a fixed pose, all made of plastic. Scale-wise it's about 8 inches tall, or would be, if he wasn't sitting. Prices vary for this one, but it's really a well done piece and really accurate sculpt as well. But, he'll never do anything other than sit in that chair and smirk.....no riding for him!

The Yamato Kaneda is most accurate, only things is lack of matte finishing to make it look statue like and solid.

Of course u left out the Medicom Kaneda/Tetsuo/Bike.

I have the gachapon series 1, the akira arm went missing so i bud another set and the same arm went missing. It's a curse!!!

The SOC bike price has since went up 2-3 times. Evilbay style.

Hows the 1/6 bike compared to SOC? Is it just an upscaled bike or new sculpt?

OK, I'm really **** about this stuff so I thought I'd make some minor corrections.

Also, starting in 2002, were sets of mini-figures, sometimes called "vignettes." Small, fixed-pose figures with mini dioramas. A few of them had Kaneda on his bike. These too, were sculpted rather oddly. The bike was passable, but not accurate. And Kaneda's face looked weird. There were three series of mini-figures from 2002-2004.

And last, there was a "statue" by Yamato that was Kaneda sitting in the "junk throne' based on art by Otomo. Came out around 2004-5. The figure is also a fixed pose, all made of plastic. Scale-wise it's about 8 inches tall, or would be, if he wasn't sitting. Prices vary for this one, but it's really a well done piece and really accurate sculpt as well. But, he'll never do anything other than sit in that chair and smirk.....no riding for him!

It's just the shoulder pad bits on the Medicom Jacket that deforms the whole jacket. They are too rigid material and are too wide i think if you know i mean. They don't seem in scale with the body

The Yamato Kaneda is most accurate, only things is lack of matte finishing to make it look statue like and solid.

Of course u left out the Medicom Kaneda/Tetsuo/Bike.

I have the gachapon series 1, the akira arm went missing so i bud another set and the same arm went missing. It's a curse!!!

The SOC bike price has since went up 2-3 times. Evilbay style.

Hows the 1/6 bike compared to SOC? Is it just an upscaled bike or new sculpt?

Hm, I can't believe the word a-n-al was censored. I didn't mean it like...you know.

Yeah, I left out the grandaddy of them all, the BM Project Kaneda/bike/Tetsuo cause we all know all about those!

The 2004 Soul of Popynica bike is very, very similar to the large one, but not the exact same sculpt. But since both toys are such amazing reproductions of the source material, (and made by Bandai) they look alike to the naked eye. But no, they are different enough to tell that they are separate fabrications and not just bigger or smaller versions of the same thing. They have different features for one...the bike's plating comes off in different ways to reveal the "naked" bike underneath. And the smaller bike has the optional "half" cowling to show the details like pistons underneath.

I know what you mean about that tiny Akira's arm....I can't believe I still have mine all these years later! Talk about a tiny piece...

Back