Medicom Clone Commander $79

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work!
Would you mind showing pics of the dremelled armour parts?

Thanks Alot!

I don't think that photos would help as much as describing the process (since all the grinding's on the inner surfaces and hard to photo):

Basically, I used a rounded-tip cutter to grind along the edges to make them thinner. The edge has a thicker "lip" and you can easily monitor how much you're cutting. After that, wherever needed, I moved the cutter deeper into the part to thin the vinyl. I would guesstimate that the armour is around 2 - 3mm before grinding, and ends up between .5 and 1 mm after grinding.

"Feel" is the most important part in determining how much to remove. Keep a finger on the outside of where you're grinding to feel how thin you're cutting. Don't dwell in one spot for too long. It will feel warmer, and as the vinyl thins, it will become more flexible. Naturally, as it cools it will stiffen; you want it thin enough to flex easily after it's cooled down-- thin enough for the figure's articulation tightness to "override" the vinyl's tendency to remain stiff. Fortunately, Medicom's figures tend to have very tight articulation.

Getting uniform wall thickness isn't important since the surface is unaffected and retains its shape. The only way you'd spot thickness variations is if you held the part up to a light.

If you use a rounded tip cutter and are reasonably careful, there's little danger of grinding through. The rounded tip will let you operate at different angles and you can push the vinyl inward from the outside to control what you're cutting. Very important: Do not use a barrel cutter, unless you like living dangerously. The edge of a barrel cutter can grind through to the outside very quickly if your angle is wrong.

The areas to thin are pretty obvious, and most are easy to access for grinding. The basic idea is to thin parts so that they collapse when contacted by another part. For example, to improve the elbow flex, the bicep and forearm armor are thinned along the edges next to the hinge so that they can collapse against each other. However, the elbow armor's band also needs to be thinned as much as possible so that it doesn't get in the way of the hinge closing (Ideally, this would be a thin piece of elastic or strapping... but I didn't design this stuff).

The hardest (and probably most controversial) area to thin is the opening for the arms. It's hard because you need to remove the chest armor to grind the inside surface. Even when heated, the piece doesn't sleeve over the shoulders very easily. I considered this to be a key area to fix if I wanted the arms to not poke outwards like C3PO, so I used small scissors to trim the openings before I pulled the armor off. That helped a lot. Once that was done, I grinded the edges from the inside, and totally removed the lip at the opening. I said "controversial" since this does change the armor design slightly by removing the armor's inward curve at the lip. Basic mechanics says that if you want the arms to hang parallel at the hinge axis, you've either got to move the hinge axis outward beyond the wall, or make the wall thinner. I think making the wall thinner and more flexible was the best option in this case.

That's pretty much all there is to it... but do it at your own risk! :D

-Jim

For what it's worth, the flexibility of the armor is the key to getting better articulation, i.e., more poseability-- a worthwhile goal, to take advantage of Medicom's superior armature. As is, it's not flexible enough, so it needs to be thinned if you want to pose it with the arms extended in front for a two-handed pistol grip, or to get less than a 45 degree bend at the elbows. I didn't do any Dremeling to the lower part of the figure, but I believe I'd be able to coax a crouching pose if I did.

Clearly, armor that lives in CGI doesn't have the same poseability restrictions since it doesn't have to observe physics of the real world. For example, in the real world, the elbow and knee armor would have to be secured by a flexible, compressible band or the wearer wouldn't be able to bend arms and knees tighter than a minimal arc.

(As for them looking like 3-3/4" figures-- the difference is pretty obvious in person... :lol)

**** (later)****

Okay, after Dremeling the lower parts, I was able to coax a near crouch, however the bodysuit is very tight and keeps the legs from bending much higher at the hips. The stiff shoes ultimately limit what you can do to achieve realistic poses, since short of replacing them with leather, the soles aren't going to bend. I say, "Good 'nuff".

(Of course it looks plasticky, because it is plastic!!! Kinda like the plastic-boy suits the Ep IV-VI stormies wore. :lol)

-Jim

011709a.jpg

011709b.jpg

Fantastic job. Chopping out those little bits make them almost as poseable as Sideshow's armored guys. I may actually try this since I don't think we'll be seeing any duplicates out of the Sideshow camp for a while and it'd be great to have the 501st pulling off some dynamic poses flanking my SS Darth Vader.

Got mine in hand today. Great looking figure but, one of his knee pads is up-side down. Any one else have this problem or know how to fix it. I really hate to go through the pain or returning it.

All you have to do is pull the foot off, then the shin armor, then the knee plate. Had to do this to a couple of them. The foot is attached within the shin by a ridged peg. It'll pull right out.

I think so far only a white, yellow and red have been released. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up releasing a blue and green as well.

Here's a couple more of the the guys:

013109a.jpg
013109b.jpg

Nothing new on the yellow one, but I made the DC-15a rifle for the red one this AM. It's a 1:6 MG34 stock & receiver screwed to an upside-down E-11 blaster (aka Sterling SMG). I Googled for reference photos and to my surprise, there weren't very many... and each seemed to have slight, but noticeable differences. I assume that the size must be fairly close since both of the 1:6 weapons were close to scale.

Personally, I suspect that the rifle's design must have been intended as an inside joke, perhaps as an homage to the original, not-very-well-disguised kitbashed props in Ep IV. Since the clonetroopers were computer graphics, I can't think of any other reason why they'd do it like an old-school prop kitbash. (Besides, it is an awfully funky design-- scope on the bottom as a grip? LOL!)

I added a rotation axis to his right trigger hand so that he could get a better angle on the grip (though it's not evident from the pic). To do that, I removed the hand armor and wrist eyelet, drilled through the hand from the wrist, cut the hand slightly in from the wrist hinges, and screwed the parts together using the pre-drilled hole. The eyelet was replaced with a small screw & nut (Walthers model railroad screws throughout, because they're small and have fine threads).

As of now, SWS still has the $80 yellow clone trooper in stock! I'd buy another to kitbash if I hadn't bought a more expensive white one after they ran out of the first batch. At this point, I'm waiting to see if I can find an Ep III clonetrooper for as good a price.

(later that afternoon)

I said that I assumed that the size of my DC-15a must be close because the gun parts were accurate to 1:6 scale... but that doesn't apply when you're talking about computer graphics! With computer graphics, you can scale up an E-11 blaster to Hasbro proportions; slap it on the correctly scaled back end of an MG34 and you get this:

013109c.jpg

Now I'm certain that the DC-15a design was an inside joke!:rotfl

-Jim

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the flexibility of the armor is the key to getting better articulation, i.e., more poseability-- a worthwhile goal, to take advantage of Medicom's superior armature. As is, it's not flexible enough, so it needs to be thinned if you want to pose it with the arms extended in front for a two-handed pistol grip, or to get less than a 45 degree bend at the elbows. I didn't do any Dremeling to the lower part of the figure, but I believe I'd be able to coax a crouching pose if I did.

Clearly, armor that lives in CGI doesn't have the same poseability restrictions since it doesn't have to observe physics of the real world. For example, in the real world, the elbow and knee armor would have to be secured by a flexible, compressible band or the wearer wouldn't be able to bend arms and knees tighter than a minimal arc.

(As for them looking like 3-3/4" figures-- the difference is pretty obvious in person... :lol)

**** (later)****

Okay, after Dremeling the lower parts, I was able to coax a near crouch, however the bodysuit is very tight and keeps the legs from bending much higher at the hips. The stiff shoes ultimately limit what you can do to achieve realistic poses, since short of replacing them with leather, the soles aren't going to bend. I say, "Good 'nuff".

(Of course it looks plasticky, because it is plastic!!! Kinda like the plastic-boy suits the Ep IV-VI stormies wore. :lol)

-Jim

011709a.jpg

011709b.jpg

pookie613, Awesome display! :joy

Wow I really wanted this. What turned me off was the shipping. I've ordered a Shocktrooper from them before and it cost $49 to ship to Singapore. I didnt mind as it was still pretty reasonable.

But as I proceeded to check out for this Clone Commander, I found out that shipping for this figure is $79.95!

What a freaking rip off.

Wow I really wanted this. What turned me off was the shipping. I've ordered a Shocktrooper from them before and it cost $49 to ship to Singapore. I didnt mind as it was still pretty reasonable.

But as I proceeded to check out for this Clone Commander, I found out that shipping for this figure is $79.95!

What a freaking rip off.

Exactly, they increased the shipping by so much that it cost about the same even with the given discount.

Back