Medicom 1:6 (or so) scale TC-14

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not true for me. Don't care about scale they look awesome! More concerned with the price of them than anything. I WILL own them when i can get them cheaper.
True enough and that's cool that the scale doesn't bother you (really). I have not reached such a Zen level of acceptance, myself, unfortunately. Unless I displayed it off to the side, somewhere, it would bug me. But it would also bug me that I wasn't displaying them together in an character appropriate milieu.

All that said, Medicom's 3PO, R2, TC-14 and R5-D4 all look pretty cool. It's a shame (and kind of surprising) Sideshow didn't make droids a higher priority themselves.

Yep I forgot the pics lol, he are a few basic ones I took upon opening (with a dodgy polystyrene insert city as a backdrop)

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

He is about to be assaulted with a turd by a chrome-challenged robot.

I agree that the chrome is nice so I'm not sure about doing the matt colour droids, although that's what I bought it to do :S Might just dirty up the chrome in a way that c3po had in the OT or the death star droid in the sandcrawler.. shiney but smudged and watermarked the hell up. Gonna try cover the wires up and put new straight ones up too just as it seems kinda easy (pull torso off the middle, put bit of cloth/sheet material around wires, glue new wires over + paint)

Also made the tempting discovery that the hasbro death star droid torso and head are in scale with the rest of this body (and famously out of scale with its own original body lol).... could pair the 2 or at least put the DSD head on the protocol body for a unique death star droid hybrid, the sculpt is pretty good and with a unifying paint job would look alright, but I'd loose the lovely light up eye feature so might give that a miss

What I really want is a non extortionate price on a CZ3 droid and a death star droid :( prefer them to the 3pos!

Last edited:
Great droid - & nice pick up dude! :clap

That chrome is lovely though.. it'd be a shame to ruin it. Some weathered apps as you say however, could make it pop a little.

There's a loose Medi R5-D4 at my local collectibles shop that I've been eyeing off, but they want a silly price for it. :lol

I think i'm going to keep the chrome, but weather it a bit, as its too perfect at the moment.

something like this

dsd%20anh.jpg

or

E-3PO.jpg

By the way, weren't these meant to have voice clips? im relieved it doesn't but just wondering why they'd axe something they'd announce like that

The r5 is just as underscaled as the hasbros, so I cant justify it :( with a bit of modding and a repaint the hasbro r5s are great and 1/10th the price lol (one is in my sig)

From pics the c3po has minor weathering like this, not sure if my being a factory second means it missed that stage, but its literally pure 100% chrome in every area and crevace so it needs a bit of variance at least.

The r5 is just as underscaled as the hasbros, so I cant justify it :( with a bit of modding and a repaint the hasbro r5s are great and 1/10th the price lol (one is in my sig)..
Wow - I hadn't noticed. I thought that was a scene from the CW show - nice work!! :thud: :clap
I might commission you for a nice R5-A2.... :monkey3 :lol

..& I totally would LOVE that Sandcrawler RA-7 droid in 1/6 scale!! :rock

I'm trying to do an R5-A2 now and orange is a ***** of a colour to get right lol

edit: bit of an artsy fartsy picture but this is the R5 in the sig

IMG_0763.jpg

R5 A2 wip shot - it will not be that bright and clean when its done haha

IMG_0041.jpg

I wish I could do commissions for people, but I have hardly any time, mostly just this time of year to do stuff. Doing 2 uni courses and work lol, so the astromechs are all mein!!! *clutches them*

Last edited:
Awesome stuff man!! :hi5:

Yeah.. just kidding about the commission. I've never asked anyone yet, & I'm not really about to start anytime soon either. :lol

I'd call R5-A2's colour more an ocre yellow.. rather than orange. Hence my disappointment with the Hasbro build one; too garish in colour & not subtle enough. I know any company out there that tries one in future will disappoint me, because I want that certain shade that I'm seeing.. know what I mean?

I know the old 'rolling by' scene in the film isn't a great reference, due to the colour palette on screen varying depending on the format you're viewing, but I'd like a weathered ocre yellow version regardless.

A dream display for me, would be R5-A2 & Cz-3 together. :)

Personally I really like that perfect chrome (and it's how he appeared in TPM) but gotta respect your willingness to take chances and change things up. Agree with your later thoughts on the Death Star Droid idea, i.e., don't do it, lol. Can't see the trade-off of losing the light-up eyes for a DSD head as being worth it at all (unless you get a second TC-14 cheap). Have to say, he photographs well. Eyes look great and really pop in your photos.

Edit: In regards to your comment on the voice chip, I believe that was only ever a feature on v2 of 3PO and R2. Pretty sure it was never advertised for TC-14.

Last edited:
True enough and that's cool that the scale doesn't bother you (really). I have not reached such a Zen level of acceptance, myself, unfortunately. Unless I displayed it off to the side, somewhere, it would bug me. But it would also bug me that I wasn't displaying them together in an character appropriate milieu.

All that said, Medicom's 3PO, R2, TC-14 and R5-D4 all look pretty cool. It's a shame (and kind of surprising) Sideshow didn't make droids a higher priority themselves.

Having standards and not just accepting any slop that comes out isn't a zen level of acceptance. I think you're doing fine. :clap

^ :lol

It's great having options, but unfortunately with a lot of the 1/6 SW stuff - it's either accept what's on offer.. or keep waiting. :lol

Picked this up for less than half price from ebay, factory second with no box and some chrome marks (damn I feel naughty, should I even be admitting that? :lol)- Ideal because I want to repaint it! red, white, weathered chrome? no idea yet :( despite its flaws (the headsculpt is very stylised but it kinda feels ok in hand) it has a really nice presence that I'm sure is what makes the c3po owners so dogged about defending it, basically for what I paid I'm happy.

Also feel the need to keep the eyes switched on forever, never usually big on light up gimmicks - any idea how long the 2 watch batteries will last?

His height is ok, but build wise he is a bit skinny, but its such a nice package you suspend disbelief that a man has to fit inside a 1:1 suit and your mind just perceives it in SW terms as a droid, that could potentially be slighter than organics

Did this thread miss the move to action figures?

Great buy, was eyeing that one as well.
Did the batteries come with the figure, or did you have to get some?

Came with batteries and a see-through stand with clamps, thinking might come in handy for boba-fett-jetpack-into-sarlaac pose.

I've seen a bunch of 4-loms and 3pos on before that where seconds, but 4-lom would have to be more poseable than medicom's for me, and 3po is too big a character for what I wanna do.

Came with batteries and a see-through stand with clamps, thinking might come in handy for boba-fett-jetpack-into-sarlaac pose.
I've seen a bunch of 4-loms and 3pos on before that where seconds, but 4-lom would have to be more poseable than medicom's for me, and 3po is too big a character for what I wanna do.

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Well, its been done - weathered up TC-14. Wanted it to be an OT style, used looking droid

sandtrooper3lowqual.png

Have no pics of just him atm, just ones with the sandies

Didn't take much other than water colouring dark greyish black on and sponging it around till it dried, getting rid of blobs. Just took the perfect sheen off and gave a bit of a patina

Looks brilliant man!! The plating looks lived in now.. very nice. :D

Those Medi protocol droids are amazingly detailed - & the light up eyes just puts it over the edge for realism. :rock

Haha you were worried I'd get the big paint brush out and some gloopy brown acrylic weren't you :nana:

Lol, no, perhaps I should have worded that differently. :p Your mods always look good, so wasn't worried they'd be sloppy. I just have an affinity for TC-14's high gloss finish but like VTG says, the droid just looks lived-in, now, and more part of the 'used' world Lucas wanted for the OT (like you also mention).

I daren't go into the PT - I barely have enough room for OT haha, so if TC-14 wanted to blend in, the paint sponge had to come out! Thanks for the comments!

There is another factory second on ebay atm if anyone is interested, just search tc-14, same place I got mine

Back