McFarlane Toys: The Walking Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of "building" with those sets other than sticking some set pieces on a base.

I don't see a lot of building either. They are little dioramas with the building coming in the form of adding figures. Nothing wrong with that just not what I think of when I hear LEGOs.

He said that most people can't really tell until you take them apart but that is also what he is going for. He said that Governors room alone is 225 pieces. (Not here) It seems like their biggest offense to a lot people is that these are not Legos but again that's not what they are going for.

They really aren't much different than these
812X%2BmBK-PL._SL1500_.jpg

I think the thing that Mcfarlane doesn't understand about Legos is that it's not so much about the building the set, it's that you can take it apart and build different things with it. The Governor set for sure I can see being some high number just based on how many bricks make up the wall or the planks of wood making up the floor. You can't take the couch apart and turn it into something else. As is it's kinda like those gashapon toys that you put together to be the one thing it's supposed to be or a buildable diorama. Not that it's a bad thing, just not improving on a concept. Lego isn't supposed to be realistic or super detailed, that's part of the charm. And heck, unless each figure comes with different limbs, Megabloks and Lego still have em beat with articulation. Those COD figures above are all the same body yet they could be put into running, kneeling, and 2 handed gun poses (are those new elbows?!).

Yeah, these don't have the multipurpose use Legos have, that's for sure (well, at least from what we can see of these so far, it might actually be totally different once we've gotten our hands on them). But I do get the idea he is going for. Why can't building toys look more realistic? I get that much. To me, I see this as miniature dioramas. The building feature just opens itself up to expansion and customization is all, to me at least. I'm not expecting to use these as random Legos.

He said that most people can't really tell until you take them apart but that is also what he is going for. He said that Governors room alone is 225 pieces. (Not here) It seems like their biggest offense to a lot people is that these are not Legos but again that's not what they are going for.

I think the thing that Mcfarlane doesn't understand about Legos is that it's not so much about the building the set, it's that you can take it apart and build different things with it. The Governor set for sure I can see being some high number just based on how many bricks make up the wall or the planks of wood making up the floor. You can't take the couch apart and turn it into something else. As is it's kinda like those gashapon toys that you put together to be the one thing it's supposed to be or a buildable diorama. Not that it's a bad thing, just not improving on a concept. Lego isn't supposed to be realistic or super detailed, that's part of the charm. And heck, unless each figure comes with different limbs, Megabloks and Lego still have em beat with articulation. Those COD figures above are all the same body yet they could be put into running, kneeling, and 2 handed gun poses (are those new elbows?!).

about this, and not being able to make other things like with LEGOS,

I found this interesting from an interview with him:

As much as I appreciate someone building a 10,000-piece real-life Batman or Millennium Falcon, the problem for me is the closer I get to that build, it's like zooming into a photo on my computer, it starts to bitmap.

Its made out of a bunch of bricks. I mean, I get it. If I had a billion-dollar model that worked, I’d keep the model, too.
But it allows opportunities for guys like me to service this corner of people maybe a little older and more sophisticated, who are expecting more out of that final build. So when it's built, it’ll be closer to a piece of art or a diorama you can put on display.

he also said this in the interview:

Let's get the big question out of the way: "Are blocks compatible with the leading brands?"
Absolutely, you can mix and match. But I’m saying, why can’t it be sexier? We’re taking what people understand, how to play with bricks, and the magic we’re bringing to the table is that at the end of the build, where I think other companies stop short, is they get there and they’re done. To my eye, I say it's still bitmapped.

I’m not seeing the sleekness of what it should be. We then come in and add an extra layer that makes it cooler to look at.

https://www.blastr.com/2014-7-8/exc...spidey-spawn-toys-image-comics-todd-mcfarlane

Last edited:
it does look great. That prison tower and gate look kind of amazing.

I understand what he means. LEGOs might be great in the sense that you can build many things with them, but like he was saying about a Millennium Falcon replica, It doesn't look that great up close.

I've always felt that way about LEGO. I've never fully liked lego because I don't like how everything looks cartoony. So I get that.

these sets, you might not be able to build other things with them, But WHY would you want to? If you are getting a Prison set, why would you want to turn it into something else?

I don't get that. Why would you want to make it a ship or a house or something? Why buy a Walking Dead brick set to begin with? lol :lol

What's the point of the pieces being compatible? It's gonna end up looking off because of the different styles. I'm not trying to rip on this line as I'm actually really excited for it, but I really don't think this will fit in with LEGOs or Mega Bloks at all.

These look pretty amazing but the blind bags are a terrible idea. I can see that being really frustrating. It would be cool if down the line they made some sets that are in scale with the regular toy line they have going.

I don't see a lot of building either. They are little dioramas with the building coming in the form of adding figures. Nothing wrong with that just not what I think of when I hear LEGOs.

This is what was a little confusing to me. They are making them compatible with Lego, but nothing about them matches the look of lego. I think they look good for what they are and I am intrigued by them.

This is what was a little confusing to me. They are making them compatible with Lego, but nothing about them matches the look of lego. I think they look good for what they are and I am intrigued by them.

All building blocks are compatible with Lego these days. Its just the industry standard. I'm sure retailers have an influence on this.

Those mini sets look extremly nice. Pretty sure they wont be available in Europe though (except for a few overpriced online retailers). Hopefully they will list them on the bay too... :)

I think they will be as the UK distributor mentioned them in a news post so i am expecting to see price information soon.

The zombies, definitely. Regular humans, not really. Mix and match some parts perhaps, but its probably mostly for articulation purposes. Lego's figures all come apart too, so its kind of expected in the 'block figure' world.

Back