Action Figure McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Studio Session-1615 RZ.jpg

It’s a shame those Batman figures never saw the day. I love the removed cowl accessory that goes around his neck.

Maybe Gentle Giant can somehow scoop the license after Todd’s deal expires in three years, if DC doesn’t renew with him.

It’s a shame those Batman figures never saw the day. I love the removed cowl accessory that goes around his neck.

Maybe Gentle Giant can somehow scoop the license after Todd’s deal expires in three years, if DC doesn’t renew with him.

Why would you think that'll happen? And why?

Apparently it’s rumored they were very interested in the license, but ultimately Todd got it. Someone in an action figure discord server I’m in mentioned talking to a guy from Gentle Giant who said he’s hoping they can grab it if Todd loses it. Not entirely sure how accurate that is so take it with a grain of Bat-salt.

So, Todd is making figures based of off Last Knight on Earth now. Wonder Woman, Scarecrow, Omega and Batman in his Arkham straight jacket. The build a figure is Bane. Can we please get one normal Batman figure in his Capullo designed costume in this group? In Capullo’s style with the purple/grey cape lining and the yellow outlined Bat symbol? We never got that figure from DC Direct even after all the Capullo stuff they churned out and it still bugs me. And McFarlane messed up the one coming in the Dark Knights:Metal line. He has a tattered, crappy cape without the purple gray lining and a bunch of added kibble armor for no apparent reason. Why was that added?

Thanks. I believe the current price sets up a lot of new collectors, I just hope they don't do a price increment any time soon.

I still think Mcfarlane is such a good fit for the Dark Night: Metals line as they originate as a manufacturer of horror action figures.

I think McFarlane toys have a more edgier sculpt. Often they aren't thinking of kids like Mattel does and can keep the sharper details.

I think overall I'm very happy with how McFarlane has been handling the DC license. It's great to have something different.

So, Todd is making figures based of off Last Knight on Earth now. Wonder Woman, Scarecrow, Omega and Batman in his Arkham straight jacket. The build a figure is Bane. Can we please get one normal Batman figure in his Capullo designed costume in this group? In Capullo’s style with the purple/grey cape lining and the yellow outlined Bat symbol? We never got that figure from DC Direct even after all the Capullo stuff they churned out and it still bugs me. And McFarlane messed up the one coming in the Dark Knights:Metal line. He has a tattered, crappy cape without the purple gray lining and a bunch of added kibble armor for no apparent reason. Why was that added?

Probably because that was in the comic? I haven't read the story. But as you can see. McFarlane has been giving us brand new molds for most of the DC Multiverse. From a business stand point, this won't be as profitable as Hasbro's Marvel Legends, DC Universe Classics/ DC Multiverse from Mattel sharing the same buck system. So this is the way to control cost. You can make slight variants or repaints of 1 figure and make a different product.
So you can a Batman with a torn cape and armor pieces. And there will be a brand new figure with a regular cape, new parts with no armor and probably a different head sculpt.

The cowl looks cool but needs some work. you can see on the top it's just a chunk of plastic. They can potentially paint the top part black for negative space.
While the figure looks good. I've gotten a lot of great Batman figures from DC/Mattel/NECA/McFarlane/MAEFX. Do I need another one? Probably. But seeing the quality of that prototype, it's just screams "Never Mattel". It's doesn't fit Mattel's model in staying 10 years behind all other companies.
Anyways, I don't know Gentle Giant will be a good fit. Since McFarlane has been doing such an amazing job. Unless Todd is tired of all this 3 years later. I would say he's just getting started with all the initial wave 1 to the movie stuff, and the more story specific series. There's a huge selection of core characters and movie / TV licenses that still needs to be made.
I just don't see how Todd can stop in 3 years. And let's be honest, Gentle Giant can't do any better. The last time I bought a figure from them was like... never.
And now GG is bought by Diamond Select. I think that complicates things a bit. Part of me always wanted to get DC Select figures but seeing the current DC Multiverse is also 7 inches scale. Very unlikely.

Probably because that was in the comic? I haven't read the story. But as you can see. McFarlane has been giving us brand new molds for most of the DC Multiverse. From a business stand point, this won't be as profitable as Hasbro's Marvel Legends, DC Universe Classics/ DC Multiverse from Mattel sharing the same buck system. So this is the way to control cost. You can make slight variants or repaints of 1 figure and make a different product.
So you can a Batman with a torn cape and armor pieces. And there will be a brand new figure with a regular cape, new parts with no armor and probably a different head sculpt.
No, it wasn?t like that in either story, I read them. I think McFarlane just wanted to add his flair?

So David Vonner who worked on the Marvel Universe figures has shown off on his instagram, prototypes of Batman he was working on for Mattel.

119236559_1106611956402083_2408565037971248951_n.jpg
118997524_1436164356593549_7550362092480630213_n.jpg
119178628_166668631769571_5288559803243006284_n.jpg
119120052_3311065432324403_6940334414759100602_n.jpg
119206531_216260783437255_5706881300610817044_n.jpg

It looks like this would of been the equivalent of Marvel Legends for DC. A shame that Mattel had the license that whole time and they finally wait until the end to get something like this started and then lose the license and are unable to release it.

Man! Those would be some GOAT 1/12 Batman figs to me!

I'm really impressed with Mcfarlane so far, I have yet to see a reused mold other than the variants.

Newly sculpted products at $20 a pop, which other manufacturers do you see are doing this?

I'm so glad the rights went to them, they've been doing a really impressive job with their licenses.

So much Batman and Metal.

But deep down I think Todd just wants to make monster toys, so Metal and stuff like Last Knight lends itself to that.

I'm really impressed with Mcfarlane so far, I have yet to see a reused mold other than the variants.

Newly sculpted products at $20 a pop, which other manufacturers do you see are doing this?

I'm so glad the rights went to them, they've been doing a really impressive job with their licenses.

I have to agree.

I was upset at first.
Then changing the game with the scale... again.
But I have to say that I am very happy (though my wallet is not).
But the overall articulation is great, the individual sculpts is a god-send and with the focus, they were asked to go with, I would say they are providing variety and choices.
And at $20 average price and wide distribution overall, I am happy with this change for sure.

So much Batman and Metal.

But deep down I think Todd just wants to make monster toys, so Metal and stuff like Last Knight lends itself to that.

It's like how people complained about The Batman's batsuit. That's not really a fair argument on why people hate on Mcfarlane.

Give it time, let Mcfarlane showcase their branding and skills by beginning with Batman as they just got the license. At least we are not getting the same mold with several different heads *cough* Mattel *cough and call it a day :)

I have to agree.

I was upset at first.
Then changing the game with the scale... again.
But I have to say that I am very happy (though my wallet is not).
But the overall articulation is great, the individual sculpts is a god-send and with the focus, they were asked to go with, I would say they are providing variety and choices.
And at $20 average price and wide distribution overall, I am happy with this change for sure.

I did, I wasn't entirely enjoying the Anime ones that they've made.

But the whole Batman line really made me turn my head. Haven't missed a release other than the Arkham ones, not really interested in them.

Totally agree with the price point, I don't think the $20 per figure will last long. But damn, new mold and sculpts with every release? Come on, that's there to hate?

Back