MaulFan's Illustrations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, while not really all that different from the last update the reson behind the update is significant, which is that this piece is back in motion.

R7.jpg

The value of computer art is you can put it aside and revisit with bettered skills and such.

Two face has given me a new bar to reach and I know of some ways that I can improve on Rambo and move forward with him to make it better.

At the moment, I've begun reworking his eyes and the shading around his eye and forehead/temple on the right side, definitely spots for improvement there and it's going to look much better for it.

I'm feeling better about doing all the dirt and stuff on him after doing Two-Face, the techniques I used to make the flesh to charred transition there will come in handy for blending the dirt into the clean skin, but I really wand to nail the anatomy and found a bit off last night. I had generic shadows on his forehead and noticed last night there's a strong highlight that exactly traces the top of his right eyebrow that I was missing and I didn't have his lower eyelid quite right on that side so I'm going to refine that all.

Boy, I'll tell ya, never try to draw the eyebrows of a pissed off 60 year old man :lol, I can't tell what's hair and wrinkles in some spots and it's tricky trying to make sure the shape of the eyebrows isn't wrong.

Well, I'm not settling with this one :lol

I took a hard look at it tonight, and I came to find that the parts I had blended on his left side turned out way too soft, there should be sharp lines and things to really define deep wrinkles because of his age, particularly his eyelid, so I'm basically reworking all of the fleshtones on the left side where I had blended them as well as improving the right side. Happy with how the blood near his eyebrow came out though. I also found that the blood by his cheek wasn't enough so I added to it.

R8.jpg

Just so you guys can see, here's where it was before I revisited it.

R6.jpg

And here's where it's at as of tonight.

R9.jpg

Hopefully my efforts to define the eyes more are paying off and furthering the old man look.

I'll tell ya, if I can get the right side of his face to look right and this whole portrait comes out to my satisfaction, I'll consider it a major victory. Maybe someone else could replicated with a better method, but for my way of making these things, all that weathering on his skin is a ^^^^^ to work with. My method is to make sure the tones on skin convey the anatomy, when I work that way it better serves the portrait rather than just trying to match up this shade in the photo to this shade in my piece. Only challenge is, the weathering is creating some false appearances and things so I'm having to try and picture his face in the shot if it were clean, quite challenging, but as I said, if I can pull it off I'm going to feel really good.

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Never, ever, ever illustrate muddy 60 year old HGH pumping men's faces :lol

His right cheek is going to be the death of me I swear haha, but, I think I've FINALLY cleared the hurdle, and part of it's my own fault.

So after looking and looking and trying to figure out what's what there, I got pissed and started coming up with ways around it. First trick was taking my Hot Toys 1/4 bust as a reference, yeah he's older than the bust, but the base anatomy is there and it's a clean face.

Then, duhhhhh, it occurrs to me to look through my photos from the film and sure enough found some other angles that really light that part of his face well to see what shapes occurr and where, so onward I go.

:lol:lol:lol

I can just picture you beating your head on the keyboard in frustration..."DAAAAAAAMN YOUUUUU SLY" with a real headache:lol

Nice...keep us posted Sean,well im sure i dont need to ask,because i know you will:D

Damn close dude, I've wiped out and started over on the right side of his face probably a half dozen times before what you see above. Now it's a matter of tweaking with shades, darker or lighter, in some pots and filling in the rest but at least I now have a grasp on the general facial structure.

Frustration is a b itch alright!I know how it is but gives results in the end...hopefully.

Good Luck with the Old dude:lol

Well, I think at this point I've cleared the major hurdle, now it's just the tedium. Where Two-Face's flesh side was a lot of large, soft areas, Rambo has a lot of fine lines and detailing so it slows things, but doesn't bring them to a hault, the cheek thing was like, it's not worth moving forward if I can't make this look right.

damn man, that is badass :rock I am always amazed by your art.
The eyes and hair are fantastic, keep up the great work.

Thanks for the support.

When this Rambo piece is done, it'll be the most satisfying one I've ever done. I have a strong fondness for the character, it's the hardest portrait I've ever done, and I'm giving this every bit of care and attention I possibly can. I'm eager to finish, but I'm patient to do it right.

R13.jpg

Back