MaulFan's Illustrations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
these are looking brilliant !. Do the joker !!!. :rock

Someday, haven't quite seen an image in good resolution to work with that I've felt would make for a nice portrait, but I do want to tackle him.

Here's a progress update on Two-Face over the past few days.

TF2.jpg

TF3.jpg

TF4.jpg

Looking great I really like the teeth as well, did you say these are Illustrator or photoshop?

Photoshop. While I know from books that it's possible to achieve photo-realistic drawings in Illustrator, I'm just not there, and I've gotten so comfortable with Photoshop I'm not really motivated to learn either :lol

I was wondering because you style is more of illustrator with the exception of the jaw detail. Both programs are similar. I think you could probably build the base art quicker in illustrator then swap to photoshop for your fine touches & blends...just a thought

It's a good thought, my college professor used to push that thinking starting in Illustrator would be faster, but one thing I heavily used in Photoshop, which makes it easier doing it all in there, is layer masks.

For example, this Two-Face is something like 20-30 layers to make it. The flesh left over on the burn side is one layer, the black charring another, the mouth is about half a dozen layers for the tendons and bones etc. So even though in the image you guys see here looks like shapes, it's actually the visible elements of the layer that aren't masked, I find it easier on the blends if I can define edges with the mask then draw within that space. The black charring is made by a texture layer with several Curves Adjustment Layers applied to it for different levels of shadow and light, and then I mask them out and just "paint" the spots, works really well, but only ideal for a very monotone thing like that where there isn't much color, otherwise better to actually paint the varying shades of color in.

START

TF1.jpg

TF2.jpg

TF3.jpg

TF4.jpg

TF5.jpg

TF6.jpg

TF7.jpg

TF8.jpg

TF9.jpg

FINISH

Sorry about reposting, but since I could put them all in a row, figured it'd be interesting to see the evolution right there.

Amazing work, you captured Eckhart perfectly. It's great seeing the progress of it, how everything is done.
The burned side also has a certain sadness in the eye (most notable when you put your hand over the normal side), which really fits the character.

If I *might* critizise one thing though, the front tooth under his lip seems too light, should have a bit more shadow to it IMO. Really only a minor thing, but it caught my eye, and I thought I'd mention it. :angelsmil

Really turned out well Sean! The detail on the crispy side is just incredible! :rock :rock :rock :rock

If I *might* critizise one thing though, the front tooth under his lip seems too light, should have a bit more shadow to it IMO. Really only a minor thing, but it caught my eye, and I thought I'd mention it. :angelsmil

Ya, it's been nagging me a bit. While fairly high res, the reference image I have is grainy because it was a small magazine scan and some of the tones were hard to gauge. It looks lighter than I'd expect in the photo, but maybe that's a CGI flop or something, as great as the effect turned out some minor detail had to be messed up somewhere, I may tweak it just to make it feel proper. Trouble too is sometimes, you use a shade that's darker than the tooth next to it, but where that tooth is near the lips and skin and the others near the charring, it can play with your visual perception, but I do see it too.

and might be my next avatar?:D

If I've done it well enough, at the size of your avatar you may not be able to tell it's changed from the photo in there right now :lol

Really turned out well Sean! The detail on the crispy side is just incredible! :rock :rock :rock :rock

Thanks Jen, that half had me nervous going into it and I was quite relieved when things started coming together. It was tedious, but not too challenging, as I got into I just started figuring out all the ways to achieve it. I'd say the hardest part of the whole thing was the stubble on the clean side. I'm using one method for my Rambo, but because of difference in tones or something, it just didn't work as well, but I found a new technique and I'm happy with the result.

I was actually thinking today, the technique for making the burn side could make for a cool Godzilla illustraiton. I love Godzilla but I've always stayed away form illustrating him much because of the texture he has, but this method could take care of that.

Back