Mattel Movie Masters Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mattel Movie Masters Thead

That price is ridiculous. My OC nature compells me to complete the collection, but nearly $30 shipped is robbery. Damn you Mattel. :mad:

I wouldn't worry about these being produced or not being produced. From what I've read on other forums and in Q & As with Mattel it seems that these have been made for a while. For a while Mattel was trying to drum up interest from the major retailers but no one bit and they ended up having to make these mattycollector.com exclusives. That's what bothers me the most. Their original plan was to have retail stores carry these, which means they would have been around $12 a piece. Now they decide they can charge $20 a piece because none of the major chains wanted to carry their product? These weren't supposed to be exclusives in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong and these are made in limited numbers. In my mind, however, there are warehouses full of these that were ready to be shipped to stores like Target and Toys R Us and some Mattel execs are going to be wringing their hands the day these come out praying that someone will buy these and relieve them of some of their stock.

I can't imagine they were preproduced, seems pretty foolish to produce mass numbers of something without a retail committment unless they were perfectly fine with going mattycollector route if no one bit.

I can't imagine they were preproduced, seems pretty foolish to produce mass numbers of something without a retail committment unless they were perfectly fine with going mattycollector route if no one bit.

Yeah that's a good point. Sorry, I just got a little carried away during my first post. I was pretty upset about the prices.:monkey4

Well they could have been, wouldn't be the first poor move by a company in this business, but Mattel doesn't seem to big on making anything without a certain level of demand, which is why sadly, we'll probably never see MM figures from Burton's films and I'd vomit if they made Schumacher based figures and not Burton ones.

Just found this on Action Figure Insider and thought I'd post. You guys were absolutely right. Here's the text and the link:
Q: Why are MOTUC and Dark Knight Movie Masters 20.00 on Mattycollector.com when a DCUC figure is less at retail?

A: The answer is simple. When we produce a small run of figures Mattel is charged more by our factories. In the case of Dark Knight Movie Masters, we offered them to online and retail stores but no on was able to commit to a large enough order to go into standard production. Seeing as how cool these figures are, we wanted to get them out to fans and the best solution was to do a smaller run and offer them on MattyCollector.com. We have to charge a bit more due to the smaller production run.

https://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/mattels-qa-answers-for-august-2009#more-4346

Just found this on Action Figure Insider and thought I'd post. You guys were absolutely right. Here's the text and the link:
Q: Why are MOTUC and Dark Knight Movie Masters 20.00 on Mattycollector.com when a DCUC figure is less at retail?

A: The answer is simple. When we produce a small run of figures Mattel is charged more by our factories. In the case of Dark Knight Movie Masters, we offered them to online and retail stores but no on was able to commit to a large enough order to go into standard production. Seeing as how cool these figures are, we wanted to get them out to fans and the best solution was to do a smaller run and offer them on MattyCollector.com. We have to charge a bit more due to the smaller production run.

https://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/mattels-qa-answers-for-august-2009#more-4346

At least they're getting them out there, even though they're likely not going to profit very much (since only collectors will buy them, their total sales will be small). Seems honorable to me.

just found this on action figure insider and thought i'd post. You guys were absolutely right. Here's the text and the link:
Q: Why are motuc and dark knight movie masters 20.00 on mattycollector.com when a dcuc figure is less at retail?

A: The answer is simple. When we produce a small run of figures mattel is charged more by our factories. In the case of dark knight movie masters, we offered them to online and retail stores but no on was able to commit to a large enough order to go into standard production. Seeing as how cool these figures are, we wanted to get them out to fans and the best solution was to do a smaller run and offer them on mattycollector.com. We have to charge a bit more due to the smaller production run.

*cough* bull$#!t *cough*

its going to be very profitable for them.

Do you really think so? How many are really going to order action figures from a single, collector's website?

Now contrast that with how many they'd sell if every kid could have access to it at the big retailers. They'd sell many more units, so much so that even at a lower price point, they'd make oodles more cash.

I'm not saying they don't plan on profiting - but surely they'd make more had they been able to get it into stores.

Yeah, I call BS too. Batman and Scarecrow are more or less repaints and body swaps. So I guess paint is now up to $7 :rolleyes:

BR Joker uses a new head and perhaps upper torso for lack of a tie hole. Harvey is a new head and tie. JC Joker is new arms and a head. Two-face is a new head and jacket cover (tie reused from Harvey) and perhaps a new left hand if they go with the burnt look.

So I'm just seeing mostly new heads. MotU have been $20 all along, much LARGER, and feature mulptile accessories. Granted they use a lot of re-use parts too, but they make them work and use new parts when needed. I just don't see how these should and will cost them same as them.

Funny that the DCUC 2-packs released exclusively on Matty were, up until a couple months ago, $25 each. But the Wonder Twins were $40, and now all single 6 inch figures released (Movie Masters, DCUC, Ghostbusters, MOTU, etc.) are apparently all $20 each.

Damn, the price of producing/shipping these bad boys sure has jumped since June!

Honestly, I don't begrudge the company charging what people will pay (though we will see if people are willing to pay it for the Movie Masters figures--I won't be). But don't lie to us. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--screw you, Mattel.

Jesus, that's some expensive packaging! Sounds like an excuse by Mattel, not that they need one. I don't see why companies don't just say--"well, you are willing to pay it, so that's what we are gonna charge." Because that's what goes on. I know the packaging was fancy, but in no universe would that kind of packaging cost $15 per unit.

Am I mistaken or is today the day for the 1st TDK MM figure from Mattycollector? Bank Robber Joker I believe. They usually list new products at noon, so I guess we'll know in a hour or so.

Back