Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you're OK with paying extra money for things that were already promised in the Sub and then advertised during the Sub period as if you subscribed YOU WILL GET the Snake Torso? I am not sure how people think this is perfectly ok

Your right it's awful. They should fire the person that said it. Oh, wait they did.

This is why most companies do not discuss plans with fans. Becuase if he misspoke or was over ruled later or assumed he can't just have been wrong. Nope. It's a travesty. A farce. The end of modern civilization.

Also..the only thing ever promised was what was listed in the page when you signed up for the sub. This torso was not. Most of the time we don't even know 2/3 of the sub. Is it the best move? Not at all. Was the wording a bad choice. Hell yes. But it's also one of those, be careful what you ask for..you may get it. Everyone wants to know current plans. Then when they later revise them it's the end of the world. So I read that little transparent comment that way. As in-hey you asked live with the results. You want plan details this is what you get. Plans change. No one person has full control.

If you show that the torso was listed in that sub sign up page you would at least have a chance to make a case. But even then, they say subject to change without notice.

Your right it's awful. They should fire the person that said it. Oh, wait they did.

This is why most companies do not discuss plans with fans. Becuase if he misspoke or was over ruled later or assumed he can't just have been wrong. Nope. It's a travesty. A farce. The end of modern civilization.

Also..the only thing ever promised was what was listed in the page when you signed up for the sub. This torso was not. Most of the time we don't even know 2/3 of the sub. Is it the best move? Not at all. Was the wording a bad choice. Hell yes. But it's also one of those, be careful what you ask for..you may get it. Everyone wants to know current plans. Then when they later revise them it's the end of the world. So I read that little transparent comment that way. As in-hey you asked live with the results. You want plan details this is what you get. Plans change. No one person has full control.

If you show that the torso was listed in that sub sign up page you would at least have a chance to make a case. But even then, they say subject to change without notice.

It was explicitly promised in an official Mattel video. That's more than enough for a lawsuit.

It was explicitly promised in an official Mattel video. That's more than enough for a lawsuit.

No it's not. Well at least not to make it past initial judge view.

When you sign up for the sub you agree to waive any legal claim to a suit and agree to arbitration. You also only legally are entitled to the terms set forth in the subscription sign up page. Which only lists a total dollar amount, price per figure and a few names. No accessories are listed or promised. And it also states it's "subject to change" which means they can, surprise, change it. There's no legal case. You can sue. You can't win. And given what you signed up for agreed to they would be allowed to make you cover all legal costs they billed related to the suit.

Last edited:
Still don't love the situation, but the solution is kind of cool-looking at least. The "transformation" head is kind of clever re-use. I can actually see myself using that on my classic Hiss.

tumblr_ns8exqmyQM1ucthe8o1_1280.jpg

Still don't love the situation, but the solution is kind of cool-looking at least. The "transformation" head is kind of clever re-use. I can actually see myself using that on my classic Hiss.

View attachment 200403

This figure is clearly a cash grab. Now matty is claiming the bendy torso costs as much as a full figure to make. LOL! It's one lie after another and the damage control just flows and flows.

View attachment 200403

Here's the latest statement...
A Note RE: King Hssss' Torso Pt. 2 - Topic

Though the extra head is cool, I still don't like how they handled this...
Oh well...

Skeletor's Love Child said:
Matty Master
posted July 28, 2015 09:26 PM

Hey guys,

We’ve been reading the boards and we understand there is a lot of frustration with our favorite slithery foe, King Hssss. We get it - certain things were expected and then those things changed, which is frustrating. It is also frustrating when statements like the ones that were made regarding the Snake Hssss Torso, are put out to you, the fans, before their feasibility has been confirmed. That’s what unfortunately happened here.

As we tried to rise to the challenge of somehow offering the King Hssss Bendy Snake Torso as an added bonus to an upcoming figure, we came to the conclusion that it was just impossible to make it work financially and still offer a product at the $26 price point for the sub. The Snake Torso itself is the cost of a regular MOTUC figure, so trying to just “throw it in” with Buzz Saw Hordak would have made the retail jump to the price of a two pack, which we didn’t want to do. And let’s be honest, that’s exactly why it wasn’t included with the original King Hsss in the first place (where it would have made a lot more sense).

We still really wanted to offer the Torso, because it turned out absolutely fantastic. So we decided to offer it as its own item – a complete figure - instead of not doing it at all. Soooo we worked closely with the Four Horseman and eventually came up with this offering.

What you’ll get is a Full Snake Form King Hssss figure which includes the new Bendy Snake Upper Torso with a repaint of the Snakemen lower body, and the King Hssss Briefs. You’ll also get a Bonus Transforming King Hssss Head (Snakemen Repaint) that can work with either of your King Hssss figures and some new repaints of the Snake Men Weapons. Overall we feel this is a more complete offering than just a torso in a polybag, and allows for customizable options with the original figure.

We understand it’s not exactly what you were expecting, and that some of you aren’t happy about that. But we hope you see that we are trying to offer you the best product possible, and in order to do that sometimes things have to change.

The only paint on the weapons will be covered up when being held, that's a waste of a paint app.

Not happy. Will be calling DR in the morning.

As Kuzeh stated this situation was handled really badly, but that figure looks awesome, as does the head for my original King Hiss :yess:

The situation could have been handled better, but I do think that this is a cool looking snakeman figure. The extra snake head for the human form is cool, and I like the choice of weapons.

I just don't like that this is going to be a day-of-sale figure, when everyone who subscribed was promised the snake torso. I think they should consider pushing Dare back to 2016, and give this figure a subscription slot while also making enough extra for day-of-sale for non-subscribers. Not many fans were asking for Dare for 2015, and this would be one way to save the fans money.

exactly

No it's not. Well at least not to make it past initial judge view.

When you sign up for the sub you agree to waive any legal claim to a suit and agree to arbitration. You also only legally are entitled to the terms set forth in the subscription sign up page. Which only lists a total dollar amount, price per figure and a few names. No accessories are listed or promised. And it also states it's "subject to change" which means they can, surprise, change it. There's no legal case. You can sue. You can't win. And given what you signed up for agreed to they would be allowed to make you cover all legal costs they billed related to the suit.

It's still a breach of contract....we were ALL were given the impression that if we subbed,we would get the Snake Torso with another figure.You can spin it all that you want,it doesn't change what we were told during the sub drive (whether it was from Toyguru or not,he was working for Mattel at the time)

I'm sure if enough people united together and got the ball rolling on a class action suit, it would probably have a good chance of winning. The thing is, Mattel knows it will never happen. Mattel knows that most of the customers are grossly divided, and will buy what they are selling no matter what. Those who do vote with their wallets wont make a dent in Mattel at all. The sad reality is Mattel will NEVER have integrity, and never, ever do what's right, and customers will continue to get shafted over and over again. It is what it is unfortunately, which is why after the last remaining vintage MOTUC items, I will never give Mattel another dime.

I generally don't join in on all the "sky is falling" or "teh line is dead" hyperbole, but this was seriously a terrible move by Mattel. They keep telling us about how they couldn't make this work financially. I got a tip for you Mattel, when you make a promise to your customers you eat the cost if you have to in order to keep that promise. I don't care if it costs you money. You have lots of money. Customer good will is more important and even if you take a small hit on this one accessory it will not greatly impact the overall big picture. This line has clearly been profitable or else it would have not run for so long. So suck this one up, take the hit and make your customers happy by fulfilling the promise you made.

PS - I don't even like 200X so I don't care about the snake torso, but I do completely understand the (IMO justified) outrage by those that do.

Some of you really need to grow up. Law suites over a 30 buck toy? Seriously?? :D

LOL! @ Telling people who collect toys to grow up.

When a little kid is out of line and misbehaves, you give them an BUTTOCKS whippin', right? Well, maybe not anymore in this Brady Bunch version of itself world we live in. But the same goes for a company that misbehaves and underhandedly mistreats the customers. One has to smack them in the proverbial behinds in the form of legal action.

The "these are just toys" remark is a popular cop out, but Mattel is setting a precedence, just like Scott set his under his regime. Mattel needs to be taught a lesson at some point, and hitting them with a class action suit might just do that. But as I said, it will never happen because there is too much division among the fans and most will gladly hand over their wallets, in return for more cost cut toys at premium prices. :)

Mattel needs to be taught a lesson at some point, and hitting them with a class action suit might just do that. But as I said, it will never happen because there is too much division among the fans and most will gladly hand over their wallets, in return for more cost cut toys at premium prices. :)

K-man, will you cover the legal fees to take on this class action suit? Compensatory damages are going to be so low that no lawyer would take you seriously. This whole thing was bungled by Mattel when they promised and now haven't delivered, but a lawsuit isn't going to happen.

Also are you still handing over your wallet to Mattel? Are you buying any 2016 figures or have you called it quits? I'm curious because you seem to take such a hard stance against Mattel all the time and I wonder why you would still give them any of your money.

The easiest way to stick it to Mattel is..."Oops,I lost my credit card" and never updating it for the remaining 2015 Sub...then not buy a 2016 Sub

If new figures don't get made,so be it.I don't see how people are housing hundreds of MOTU Classics figures

at this point,All I care about is Snake Mountain

The easiest way to stick it to Mattel is..."Oops,I lost my credit card" and never updating it for the remaining 2015 Sub...then not buy a 2016 Sub

If new figures don't get made,so be it.I don't see how people are housing hundreds of MOTU Classics figures

at this point,All I care about is Snake Mountain

Agreed.

I am also still very excited about Snake Mountain and hope they don't botch it too much.

Back