Media Mass Effect: Andromeda

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really hesitant to jump into this. Mainly because I have Horizon and Zelda to push through but some of the stuff I've read review wise worry me about the direction they took here. It's had the nice effect of making me want to replay the trilogy though. I wish they'd do an HD remaster.

They've already shipped my copy of it.. I'll probably wait 6 months before playing it, that should be enough time for them to release their major patches...

Wouldn't surprise me of this is a bust of a game. Bioware is really not Bioware anymore, the guys who created Bioware sold it to EA (in name only) and left along with most of their talented crew... We know EA is just a cash grab type of company... But being a hardcore fan of the original Mass Effect I had to give the game a shot...

EA Bioware has disappointed me too many times for me to not be a little cynical, so I'm trying not to be too optimistic. It's downloading now, though, and I'm getting excited despite myself.

I played for a few hours last night.
I will say all the complaints have been valid.

So far, there's quite some inconsistencies. There's some parts where I'm kinda in awe how pretty the game looks. Then some parts, where its like a prettier ME1.
And I actually did chuckle on a few parts on how the dialogue was delivered.

Now, I will say...when I first played ME1, I couldn't get into it. It wasnt until I saw the trailers for ME2 and thought it looked epic that I thought I should give ME1 another shot cause I really wanted to get ME2. So it took awhile before I started to appreciate the game as it got better and better later on.
So I'm hoping the experience is the same here.
We're just getting to know these new main characters and it might take awhile before you get into any emotional attachment to it.

Right now the only real issue is how bad the animations are, dialog is often out of syn and facial animation looks bad in general, but there's other general animation issues as well. Environments are fantastic and combat is pretty good though I wish you could access all of your powers all the time rather than having to load 3 at a time.

Only got to play a few hours of it, but it's not anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. A lot of the worst animation is blink-and-you'll-miss-it stuff. Custom female Ryder's face looks way better than the creepy mannequin default, too, so I'd recommend making a different Ryder if you choose to go that route.

The only real problem I've had is that at one point, after I'd died by trying to figure out charge and charging into a bunch of enemies, the game accused me of tampering and quit to desktop. Which is, uh, exciting, I guess? I wasn't running any weird programs, and if I HAD been cheating I probably wouldn't have died so stupidly, so I have no idea what triggered it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

PSA don't save while in the nomad. Wouldn't load for me on PC.
Other then that still loving it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The only real problem I've had is that at one point, after I'd died by trying to figure out charge and charging into a bunch of enemies, the game accused me of tampering and quit to desktop. Which is, uh, exciting, I guess?

:rotfl

Played the first few hours last night.
Its hard to balance the nostalgic love for Shepard and crew and the rose tinted glasses against this new game ... doesn't help that everyone is turning on it and
helping you think that your suspicions are correct :D
The level designs are much more open and its a nice change. The ability to not just jump but jumpjet around makes Mass Effect 1-3 seem quaint and horribly outdated.
I swear thought the detail is a fair way under Mass Effect 2 and 3. The interior of the ships just seems to be generic start silver or white everywhere, with no character.

Played the first few hours last night.
Its hard to balance the nostalgic love for Shepard and crew and the rose tinted glasses against this new game ... doesn't help that everyone is turning on it and
helping you think that your suspicions are correct :D
The level designs are much more open and its a nice change. The ability to not just jump but jumpjet around makes Mass Effect 1-3 seem quaint and horribly outdated.
I swear thought the detail is a fair way under Mass Effect 2 and 3. The interior of the ships just seems to be generic start silver or white everywhere, with no character.
I like the tempest, took a bit to get used to but like it now

some light spoilers, for those who are on the fence about it the problem isn't just the animations, lip syncing, and voice acting. It's still fun and the actual game play is better however the story bits are in need of help and there is quite a lot of lazy developing, for example all of the random enemy camps on the maps could have been switched and I wouldn't notice, they are just randomly plopped down. As it's an open world game and not quite as linear for each planet and a lot of little side missions to do there is more outcomes however the game doesn't really care.

For example if I go back and accept a mission at HQ even after I've been helping the new people tons they still act like they've never seen me before. I put down an outpost and it acts like I talked to the people there about it and that they're cool with it but I didn't at all. Hell I went to a mission to rescue someone who was captured and I accidently made my way back there later (see something in front of you you go check it out) and the person still didn't leave. Even worse SAM (the AI) started talking like it was the first time it was there and was telling me I had to free him. As a parallel you can look at fallout which has dialogue created even if you go to places you should have gone early extremely late and progressed far along the story. And when it doesn't work it's actually quite jarring , for example it still bothers me that ****ing Rhys is still a giant **** after you complete the story with the BOS.

Other small things, like they get around retarded squad AI by having them warp around everywhere. It's difficult to get stuck in the vehicle due to how easily it climbs thing (even in non-4wd mode you can go over rocks taller then your damn tires). It's convenient and nice that they did so cause it would suck otherwise but essentially it was an easy fix for a problem they didn't want to put real effort into.

Also clearly anyone who play tested this game did not give a **** about really testing it. And I mentioned the story has some real holes in it and the story is a bit thin in some areas but that's more opinion based. Still a fun game, but it's certainly a subpar one in terms of the SP campaign. I'm actually playing Dragon Age Origins for the first time (the ea access thing) and despite the fact that I like scifi considerably more than fantasy I have to say DA:O is a better game even with how dated it is.

There are some cool new things. Bringing real loot back is great, I always hated that it wasn't there in ME:2-3. The separate cool downs back for powers is great. I hate switching between the profiles, they totally shoulda just hot keyed that on PC so you didn't have to pause the game to do it so I pretty much ignore it. The jet pack is great for trans versing and makes fights more fun (instead of simply advancing trenches you can jump to cooler newer trenches!).

Also you have to remember a lot of stuff in ME is not as good as you remember it. Like ME1 had only one outpost level design, and one ship level design. You did the same **** over and over. I think it's a better game due to the story.

And also one of my favorite aspects was the little side conversations you can get into and progress into even the following games. Like getting an Asari together with a poet Krogan and you later see them on Tuchanka. And even later you can see the Asari lady on the citadel and unfortunately her husband died and you have to give her his last poem :( Or listening to an Asari commando talk to a shrink about how she had to kill some human kid to survive and later essentially choosing if she will commit suicide or not :( If there is going to be another game (haven't finished, just finished Voeld) I don't feel like small things like that will transfer over because they don't even progress or exist in ME:A.

*phew* long winded :p

TL;DR more wrong with it than just voice acting, animations and lipsycing. Kinda ****** game, still fun. *SP only opinion not touched MP.

So like the original trilogy

I loved the trilogy so much I bought it twice 360 and collection on ps3. Disappointed the ps3 collection didn't include me3 dlc.

I saw most reviews saying it lacks big decisions like Sheppard series had (I.e wrex, council, samara or her sister and etc). What made mess effect great to me

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I loved the trilogy so much I bought it twice 360 and collection on ps3. Disappointed the ps3 collection didn't include me3 dlc.

I saw most reviews saying it lacks big decisions like Sheppard series had (I.e wrex, council, samara or her sister and etc). What made mess effect great to me

It's also not a fair comparison though because most decisions you make in one have doesn't effect much until the next game.

I played through the game twice on paragon and renegade.

That's the point. It's what made mass effect great is that choice. Made everyone play through different. Why would you want a game to hold your hand all the way through? Mass effect is a game about making choices, me1 is fine example it effected both 2 and 3.

I played through the game twice on paragon and renegade.

That's the point. It's what made mass effect great is that choice. Made everyone play through different. Why would you want a game to hold your hand all the way through? Mass effect is a game about making choices, me1 is fine example it effected both 2 and 3.

I disagree, paragon and renegade pigeon holed you into one direction or another to make sure you built up enough points to be able to get the proper checks for story elements. Love the new system.

I disagree, paragon and renegade pigeon holed you into one direction or another to make sure you built up enough points to be able to get the proper checks for story elements. Love the new system.

I agree, also there was essentially no penalty for choosing paragon which was the "best" option 90% of the time. This one at least has actual real decisions. Oh there's this AI that is scared for it's life and being a slave, do I give it to these aliens they hate, do I destroy it, do I take it with me and risk it ****ing everything up? There isn't a clear best option there. The lack of a ton of real options is more because of their weak story writing, not because the system itself is inferior.

Back