Marvel Studios/Sony - SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL: Marvel Studios Spider-Man

I don't even remember who it was. Maybe?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would have been great news if not for one little included statement "Sony pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films". :gah:

Sony's "creative control" is literally what destroyed their own Spidey franchise. The 1st two Raimi films with Toby were great for the time. The story, villains and casting were all very Marvelish. They still hold up well. Then Sony flexed their muscle and insisted on Venom and Sandman in which Raimi tried to fight them and didn't want to do it, but he was under contract, and we know how that turned out in Spidey 3. After long talks, the cast and Raimi agreed to do Spidey 4. Then Sony stepped in again and tried to force Raimi to go with a hot young female as the Vulture for the villain, and after the fiasco of 3 Raimi basically told Sony to "go **** yourself!" So he and the cast walked away as it was an all in or nothing deal... So Sony says "We don't need you!.... Reboot!" Yeah, that went well. Amazing Spider-Man was a disaster from story to casting to visuals, I wanted those 2 hours of my life back (my 7 year old son asked me why was it so bad as we had just watched the Tobey movies before seeing this). Garfield was an Ok Spidey (supposed to be obnoxious) but sucked as Parker (way too obnoxious). Lizard was a complete joke visually, he had a humanish head!!. The only thing done well was Gwen. I still refuse to see Amazing Spider-Man 2 because of the convoluted story line with too many villains that all also look like ***. Paul Giamati as the Mech-Rhino??? Great actor, but seriously?? Jamie Fox as Electro?? Whoever the guy was that played Harry was ridiculous, and the Goblin looked like a joke. And then they have Marvel universe wishes so they decide to take all these crappy villains they can't even do right and make a Sinister Six movie so they can have a franchise and cinematic universe like Marvel... :rotfl So what happenned?? Made money because fanboys can't resist their inner conscious screaming at them to run away because it looks terrible. But in the end it still didn't make much profit because of all the production and marketing costs. So here we are, Sony in financila ruin, not knowing what to do, so they agree to work with Marvel. Marvel was bound to eventually do something foolish, and I think this is it. Marvel wants Spidey in their movies which I'm sure will be great, but then Sony will screw him up in theirs. Will make continuity an utter nightmare for Marvel. Well, all I can do now is hope for the best, as I am a big Spidey fan but my expectations and excitement will be non existent when Sony announces a film. Hopefully Sony will have learned from their mistakes and just shut their mouths and do whatever Marvel and Feige tell them to do, and then they can take all the credit... :dunno Only way this will work.

Not only are we getting a new Spiderman, but probably six new SM villains in one go? Should be a lot of interesting casting news soon.

That "Sorry I'm late" at the very end and then Cap and the Avengers turning and seeing Spider-Man standing there in the midst of the rubble. Can you imagine if this deal had been kept a secret and then that exact scene just happened in Civil War as a surprise? You'd hear the ecstatic roar of the audience from space.

So here we are, Sony in financila ruin, not knowing what to do, so they agree to work with Marvel. Marvel was bound to eventually do something foolish, and I think this is it. Marvel wants Spidey in their movies which I'm sure will be great, but then Sony will screw him up in theirs. Will make continuity an utter nightmare for Marvel. Well, all I can do now is hope for the best, as I am a big Spidey fan but my expectations and excitement will be non existent when Sony announces a film. Hopefully Sony will have learned from their mistakes and just shut their mouths and do whatever Marvel and Feige tell them to do, and then they can take all the credit... :dunno Only way this will work.

Read my post man... I agree wholeheartedly with you. Looks like we are the only ones here that see it this way.
Personally, I don't think this will end well for the MCU, specially concidering that Sony can now use MCU figures.

Another negative aspect from this deal is that now Marvel will never have full creative control over Spidey. They will never get the rights fully back. If Disney had waited, eventually Sony would have given up on Spidernam (considering they cant make a good movie to save their lives) and they rights would revert back.

I think there are more cons than pros here.

I don't care about what Sony does from here on out. If they make crap then I just won't count their films as being part of MCU continuity. This deal was the only way Spidey would ever share the screen with Evans Cap (and possibly RDJ IM.) Best to get him into the fold while the MCU is at its peak. Bring it on.

I don't think Sony would have given Spidey up. He still made them money, just not as much as he could have. This may not be a best case scenario, but it's better than what the likely alternative would have been, which is Sony stumbling along, trying some other, new approach that may or may not have worked better than the last one, until the next inevitable reboot. At least now he'll be involved in the Marvel Studios films, and Feige's fingerprints will be on his solo film. Those are good things.

Last edited:

Do Spidey movie rights give the studios access to each and every costume he wore? This would really piss Fox off and confuse the hell out of audiences:

84bb2922411158bbc43b40f08b02352d.gif

I actually liked that. Pretty cool, I do wish they'd keep Garfield.
Not only are we getting a new Spiderman, but probably six new SM villains in one go? Should be a lot of interesting casting news soon.
Exciting, no doubt! :rock
That "Sorry I'm late" at the very end and then Cap and the Avengers turning and seeing Spider-Man standing there in the midst of the rubble. Can you imagine if this deal had been kept a secret and then that exact scene just happened in Civil War as a surprise? You'd hear the ecstatic roar of the audience from space.
Oh man, imagine that, that'd would have been such an epic move.
I don't care about what Sony does from here on out. If they make crap then I just won't count their films as being part of MCU continuity. This deal was the only way Spidey would ever share the screen with Evans Cap (and possibly RDJ IM.) Best to get him into the fold while the MCU is at its peak. Bring it on.

:exactly:

I can see why people are negative about it, but consider the fact that anything that is marketed to the film is in favor of Marvel. ****, not even those ****** Happy Meal toys go to Sony, it's all Marvel. Toys? Statues? Games? It all goes back to Marvel. They don't really lose. Spidey sells regardless. And consider the fact that they haven't made a choice for a new chairperson. Who is to say that that person doesn't exceed in Marvel's favor. Sure Fiege and Pascal could argue differences, but reality is; Sony should listen to Marvel, and who is to say that the new person doesn't go with Fiege. Hmm? Loyalty or money? Obviously money, and with pressures with Sony Japan, I don't think Sony will disregard Marvel.

Do Spidey movie rights give the studios access to each and every costume he wore? This would really piss Fox off and confuse the hell out of audiences:

:rotfl Now that would be truly hilarious. A classy way of telling Fox to **** off!!! The Strange Bag Man with Spider-Like abilities!!

I was thinking the exact same thing, like a background easter egg, you see Spidey swing off, and when you freeze and zoom, it's the bag man outfit. :lol

Read my post man... I agree wholeheartedly with you. Looks like we are the only ones here that see it this way.
Personally, I don't think this will end well for the MCU, specially concidering that Sony can now use MCU figures.

Another negative aspect from this deal is that now Marvel will never have full creative control over Spidey. They will never get the rights fully back. If Disney had waited, eventually Sony would have given up on Spidernam (considering they cant make a good movie to save their lives) and they rights would revert back.

I think there are more cons than pros here.

Me too, but I hope we're proved wrong....

Maybe his Civil War unmasking can be him removing the paper bag and instead of Parker its just the classic Spider-Man mask. I think they should just aim for making the most absolutely confusing movie possible.

I think what both Disney and Sony saw was the huge amounts of money they could both make by Spidey appearing in a movie with any of the Avengers. With the expectations of money- which Sony really needs right now along with a hit superhero film- they were ready to deal.

That's the problem... Sony only has to do one crap movie to mess up everything Disney and Marvel has created
These Spiderman movies could potentially bring the whole MCU down with them.

My biggest hope that phase 4 marks the start of Secret Wars. Proper symbiote storyline.

That's the problem... Sony only has to do one crap movie to mess up everything Disney and Marvel has created
These Spiderman movies could potentially bring the whole MCU down with them.

No, that's literally not a problem. :lol Like I said, crappy solo movies will just be ignored, Spidey will remain strong in the MCU. Did TIH bring the fledgling MCU to a halt? Did it stop Hulk from being awesome in The Avengers? No to both.

Will be interesting to see who does end up playing Spiderman... I liked both previous actors, but looking back the original trilogy is too comic-booky for my current taste, and the last two lacked something... I was going to say heart... but it's more subtle, there was just something off in the chemistry. I think Marvel will probably find a good balance in whoever they choose (Lets face it, they aren't going to allow a bad actor to play Spiderman and mess up a whole movie - so they'll likely have some influence on the next Spiderman actor even if it's not "official" influence), they've been on fire for awhile now, I hope the fire continues!

Back