Marvel Merchandise: Quantity vs. Quality

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer Quality or Quantity in a Marvel Line?

• Highest quality possible with only core Marvel character representation

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • High quality with A and/or B (possibly C) list Marvel character representation

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Moderate quality with a large selection (including the more obscure names) of Marvel characters

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Who cares about quality! Just give me a full roster of the Marvel universe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tylerd,Name me one Bowen bust that will make your jaw drop to the floor....answer: none

Bowen has a zero awe factor when it come to busts..sorry, mini-busts...:duh

Altough,Some of his FS statues are spectacular.

Tylerd,Name me one Bowen bust that will make your jaw drop to the floor....answer: none

Some of his FS statues are spectacular and thats it.

Amen to that to!

It's funny, just about every one of Sideshow's pieces can be made fun of, but you still think they are "HIGH QUALITY" because they're bigger.

Plastic Boba
Too Small Helmet Vader
Skinny Iron Man
Fat Thor
Red Striped Thing
Wrong Costumed Thor vs. Loki
Wrong portrait Aragorn
Goofy looking Apocalypse/Wolverine
Lumpy-A$$ Spidey
Lazy-eyed EVERYTHING

and that's just to name a few. I think this poll is a joke. It doesn't have anything to do with quality. It does have something to do with the SIZE of the pieces, and the dynamics of some of the poses.

Don't get me wrong, I own most of the pieces I listed above, so don't think I'm not a huge Sideshow fanboy. It's just that everytime you guys compare a $55 bust to a $700 bust, it amuses me. With Bowen, you can have the entire Marvel Universe, and the busts are very well done (for $50). If you want a showpiece, get the 1:1, but how many of those can you display, and how much is going to cost you?

There is no comparison here. For the money, the Bowen busts provide a very high quality piece and FAR greater selection. The size of Sideshow pieces give them a bigger WOW factor. That's it in a nutshell.

It's funny, just about every one of Sideshow's pieces can be made fun of, but you still think they are "HIGH QUALITY" because they're bigger.

Plastic Boba
Too Small Helmet Vader
Skinny Iron Man
Fat Thor
Red Striped Thing
Wrong portrait Aragorn
Lumpy-A$$ Spidey
Lazy-eyed EVERYTHING

and that's just to name a few. I think this poll is a joke. It doesn't have anything to do with quality. It does have something to do with the SIZE of the pieces, and the dynamics of some of the poses.

Don't get me wrong, I own most of the pieces I listed above, so don't think I'm not a huge Sideshow fanboy. It's just that everytime you guys compare a $55 bust to a $700 bust, it amuses me. With Bowen, you can have the entire Marvel Universe, and the busts are very well done (for $50). If you want a showpiece, get the 1:1, but how many of those can you display, and how much is going to cost you?

There is no comparison here. For the money, the Bowen busts provide a very high quality piece and FAR greater selection. The size of Sideshow pieces give them a bigger WOW factor. That's it in a nutshell.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl aint that the truth. I absolutely hate that sideshow can't get their factory workers to paint a decent set of eyes. geez. What's worse, even their in house painters have this problem too. :banghead

Plastic Boba
Too Small Helmet Vader
Skinny Iron Man
Fat Thor
Red Striped Thing
Wrong portrait Aragorn
Lumpy-A$$ Spidey
Lazy-eyed EVERYTHING

amen to that brother.

The size of Sideshow pieces give them a bigger WOW factor. That's it in a nutshell.

Bowen's sculpting "style" is too soft for my tastes - some pieces look good to me, but they don't make my jaw drop. I don't feel compelled to buy them. But the real issue is that companies like Bowen and Gentle Giant suck because their sculptors are stuck in the early 00s. Their business models haven't adapted as well as Sideshow's. Bowen has lots to gain from their partnership with Sideshow than the other way around.

The lazy eye seems to be more of a problem with the 1/6 figs, which are apparently held by lower QC standards than the 1/4 and 1:1.

nothing from bowen's bust lineup will give you a WOW factor because you're opinion is that if it's not a big bowen, it sucks.

i invite you to go to the link below and open your mind.

https://www.bowendesigns.com/archive.asp

Apocalypse%20bust.jpg

Abomination_m.jpg

Both companies put out some nice pieces and both put out some awful pieces IMO.

Simple as that.

I am not a mini-bust fan but there are some nice Bowen mini-busts for sure so you cannot say there are no good ones. That is just silly Shai! :)

Chrome%20Surfer%20bust.jpg

33b9_1.JPG

f8f0_1.JPG

145973672_tp.jpg

Those are some nice ones.

Plastic Boba
Too Small Helmet Vader
Skinny Iron Man
Fat Thor
Red Striped Thing
Wrong portrait Aragorn
Lumpy-A$$ Spidey
Lazy-eyed EVERYTHING

I agree with everything you name about on those Sideshow mistakes, except for the ''wrong costume Thor from the dio''

It is a perfect representation of the Ribic art it came from:

loki.jpg

comic_loki-3.jpg

But for the rest, yeah....Sideshow skrewed big time...:duh

Bowen's sculpting "style" is too soft for my tastes - some pieces look good to me, but they don't make my jaw drop. I don't feel compelled to buy them. But the real issue is that companies like Bowen and Gentle Giant suck because their sculptors are stuck in the early 00s. Their business models haven't adapted as well as Sideshow's. Bowen has lots to gain from their partnership with Sideshow than the other way around.

The lazy eye seems to be more of a problem with the 1/6 figs, which are apparently held by lower QC standards than the 1/4 and 1:1.

oh boy :duh

I think thats assuming a little too much there.

Sorry Shai, you are correct. It was meant to say that people didn't WANT this costume, not that it was inaccurate.

Let me know when the 1:1 of this gets made.

BRB1.jpg

Or this:

DestroyerFront.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I have a mixture collection anyway, I buy the characters I love and the pieces I feel reflect the best quality(be they in Poly Statue/PF or Bust) of that character.

For Marvel I have a few Bowen Statues and couple Busts and I have PF's and Poly statues from Sideshow. Each company has their own good points and bad points when it comes to the finished product.

I would rather have a quality display of the characters I know and love displayed in whatever format they come in or I feel they are best portrayed in, be they from Bowen/Sideshow/Koto or Hot Toys even it doesnt matter, not that I have any from the last 2.
Right now I am selling most of my Bowens because I prefer the larger format for Marvel rather than the potentially cluttered look.The only things I will keep in Poly Statue form will be my SSW LOTR and Moore/Aspen pieces.
x :D

Last edited:
Both companies put out some nice pieces and both put out some awful pieces IMO.

Simple as that.

I am not a mini-bust fan but there are some nice Bowen mini-busts for sure so you cannot say there are no good ones. That is just silly Shai! :)

Chrome%20Surfer%20bust.jpg

Those are some nice ones.

Silver Surfer :rock!!!
x

i'll go with Iron Man in Hulkbuster Armor. Fantastic bust from Bowen.

Quality > Quantity IMO a good mixture of different collectables.

If we are only talking busts... 1 great 1:1 is a hell of a lot better then 30 good Mini's.
Of course that also depends on if you like only some characters like me... or all.

What about Bowen is hit or miss with their quality? I think you maybe thinking of smaller scales as "lesser quality" ? If so, then why?

I agree that there are many top notch Bowen pieces! And I dont think an argument between quality and quantity has to be a debate between Bowen or Sideshow being the best. I used them as an example, betcause (IMO) they are the major players as far as high end Marvel Statues. Bowen being a company that has the market as far as Quantity of characters covered, and Sideshow having a good number of "Grail" quality statues with relatively fewer character offerings.

At Wizard world Philly this year Bowen statues were a dime a dozen (obviously not in the literal sense), while Sideshow pieces were fairly under-represented). After seeing many of the Bowen pieces in person (characters that have Sideshow counterparts)...the Bowen pieces just lacked the "WOW" factor in many cases. Essentially its the difference between a pretty girl and a Super Model. Some every day girls have a better "sculpt" and are more attractive...but they just dont have that something extra that you can't put your finger on.

I also wan't to point out that when I speak of Quality, I'm not talking about the Quality control issues, or Paint app issues (with which sideshow can have issues!). Im speaking about paint color choices, over all sculpt, base detail and desirability.

Also, speaking from a male perspective....it's definately the sculpt of a "bust" that's important and not so much the size :naughty

It boils down to having the best versions of whatever characters you like. Obscure characters get less representation, so you have to make do with whatever is out there.

It boils down to having the best versions of whatever characters you like. Obscure characters get less representation, so you have to make do with whatever is out there.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

How true....lets face it. If you are a huge Medusa fan...you better jump on the new Bowen piece. If your an Iron Man fan you can afford to be more selective.

Back