Marvel Merchandise: Quantity vs. Quality

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer Quality or Quantity in a Marvel Line?

• Highest quality possible with only core Marvel character representation

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • High quality with A and/or B (possibly C) list Marvel character representation

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Moderate quality with a large selection (including the more obscure names) of Marvel characters

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Who cares about quality! Just give me a full roster of the Marvel universe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hulksmashed

Super Freak
Reaction score
johnnyMS brought up an interesting point.

"i guess most people would rather have mini busts of lots of different characters then just a lifesize bust of one character"

JohnnyMS was specifically speaking in terms of the amount of Bowen busts, vs. sideshow 1:1 busts, but it got me thinking. There really are two schools of thought as far as collecting goes. Those that crave high quality pieces of specific characters and those that settle for lesser quality with a large quantity of characters represented. Obviously in a perfect world we would have both quality and quantity, but realistically it won't happen (though many of Bowen statues are really well done!).

So my poll question is Quality vs. Quantity in terms of detail, sculpt and craftsmanship vs. number of characters represented. Also, above and beyond the poll, how much does size matter?:monkey3

IMO, mini-busts are outdated and boring. They were popular before all of this 1/4 scale or bigger poly statues were being produced but now they are just a waste of time, money, and space.

Mini-busts (and incidentally Gentle Giant) were part of the emerging "high end" market of the earlier part of the decade. Times have changed, though, and rather quickly - there are better options now. I always get a laugh of those hopelessly cluttered GG collections. Those people don't get it. Cramming tons of $40-50 fractional statues into Ikea furniture doesn't look good.

To answer the topic, less is more. Some people get deep into C-listers whether they like them or not, just to fulfill some completist need. Just have higher standards, and shoot for the best 1/4 and 1:1 you can afford.

i like a combination of premium format, comiquette, fs statues, mini-busts, dioramas and 1/6. i didn't vote on your poll because you seem to be mislead in the fact that just because something is smaller or the character isn't well known, that the quality isn't top notch.

and for all those mini-bust bashers, there have been plenty of pf, comiquettes and dioramas that simply suck ass, so why categorize that all of a particular format sucks? you may not want to collect that format, but it's the company producing the item that deserves or doesn't deserve the merits of quality, not their choice of scale.

IMO, mini-busts are outdated and boring. They were popular before all of this 1/4 scale or bigger poly statues were being produced but now they are just a waste of time, money, and space.

amen brotha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mini-busts (and incidentally Gentle Giant) were part of the emerging "high end" market of the earlier part of the decade. Times have changed, though, and rather quickly - there are better options now. I always get a laugh of those hopelessly cluttered GG collections. Those people don't get it. Cramming tons of $40-50 fractional statues into Ikea furniture doesn't look good.

To answer the topic, less is more. Some people get deep into C-listers whether they like them or not, just to fulfill some completist need. Just have higher standards, and shoot for the best 1/4 and 1:1 you can afford.

i'm sure your statements are your opinion and not meant to bash those of us that like mini-busts and a diverse collection of all scales. just because your collection suits you doesn't mean it suits all.

I agree with tyler that just because it is a smaller scale doesnt mean it isnt a quality piece. however for me personally it IS about the size. I just am bored of mini busts in general. 1:1 busts are still pretty impressive though.

amen brotha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your opinion doesn't count because you don't collect, you simply borrow. your tastes in collectibles change so often, you can't be considered a collector. :lol

it's like drinking beer. you don't buy beer, you rent it. :duff

I agree with tyler that just because it is a smaller scale doesnt mean it isnt a quality piece. however for me personally it IS about the size. I just am bored of mini busts in general. 1:1 busts are still pretty impressive though.

thank you nash. i appreciate your acknowledgment of the mini-bust, even though it's not for you.

your opinion doesn't count because you don't collect, you simply borrow. your tastes in collectibles change so often, you can't be considered a collector. :lol

it's like drinking beer. you don't buy beer, you rent it. :duff

umm. i from the Beginning Have collected Marvel, ALiens, Predators. And i still collect Marvel, Aliens, Predators. So yeah i still thin Mini bust suck even back when they were popular. Give me a Full statue not have of it. I drink Rum Captain Morgan & 8 year Bacardi Beer taste like ass just like a nini bust would.

dude i wish i could rent beer, and piss it back in the bottle then return it to the store. :lol

umm. i from the Beginning Have collected Marvel, ALiens, Predators. And i still collect Marvel, Aliens, Predators. So yeah i still thin Mini bust suck even back when they were popular. Give me a Full statue not have of it. I drink Rum Captain Morgan & 8 year Bacardi Beer taste like ass just like a nini bust would.

and you should know what ass tastes like. :lol :lol :lol

i'm sure your statements are your opinion and not meant to bash those of us that like mini-busts and a diverse collection of all scales. just because your collection suits you doesn't mean it suits all.

I only speak for myself. :peace

The mini bust scale/format doesn't work for me. Given a choice, I will take 1:1 scale whenever possible, but of course the individual piece must be well-made. If it's 1:1 and it sucks, well, then I won't buy it.. goes without saying.

I used to be of the persuasion of buying a bit of everything (except busts) but I've noticed that what really stands out to me (and guests) are the 1:1 helmets and statues. They need to mean something to me first, then they have to be expressed in a medium & scale where it leaves the biggest impact. Good 1/4 and 1:1 stuff really trumps the rest for me.

IMO the 1:1 busts are just not practical in terms of price and space. 1:4 scale for PFs and 1:2 for busts are the sweet spot.

i didn't vote on your poll because you seem to be mislead in the fact that just because something is smaller or the character isn't well known, that the quality isn't top notch.

Not at all! The size question was a secondary add on to the debate. As for lesser known characters, I LOVE some of the D list Bowen characters. Bucky and Medusa are extremely tempting to me! It just seems that the highest quality is represented in a more narrow selection of characters, while the average to mid-level quality has a more vast selection of character representation.

I don't mean to knock Bowen at all, but IMO (and I make no claims of correctness) Sideshow offers higher end collectibles and more narrow character selection. Bowen offers mid range Quality with a HUGE selection of characters. I guess it would be more accurate to say Bowen is more hit or miss with thier quality (as there are a good number of Bowen pieces I would LOVE to own...i.e. Juggernaut).

In short, I speak only in general trend and not absolutes. I personally voted for High quality with A, B and C list characters to choose from. Though I wouldnt pass up a highest quality core character or a well done D lister! Hell, I just put my vote in for "The Blob" premium format in another thread! :wacky

IMO the 1:1 busts are just not practical in terms of price and space. 1:4 scale for PFs and 1:2 for busts are the sweet spot.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

1:1 busts occupy too much space and take to large a chunk out of my wallet!

...unless its a 1:1 hulk bust...then it can occupy any space it wants and I will gladly empty my wallet!:duh:duh

Not at all! The size question was a secondary add on to the debate. As for lesser known characters, I LOVE some of the D list Bowen characters. Bucky and Medusa are extremely tempting to me! It just seems that the highest quality is represented in a more narrow selection of characters, while the average to mid-level quality has a more vast selection of character representation.

I don't mean to knock Bowen at all, but IMO (and I make no claims of correctness) Sideshow offers higher end collectibles and more narrow character selection. Bowen offers mid range Quality with a HUGE selection of characters. I guess it would be more accurate to say Bowen is more hit or miss with thier quality (as there are a good number of Bowen pieces I would LOVE to own...i.e. Juggernaut).

In short, I speak only in general trend and not absolutes. I personally voted for High quality with A, B and C list characters to choose from. Though I wouldnt pass up a highest quality core character or a well done D lister! Hell, I just put my vote in for "The Blob" premium format in another thread! :wacky

What about Bowen is hit or miss with their quality? I think you maybe thinking of smaller scales as "lesser quality" ? If so, then why?

I have a bunch of bowen pieces and every one that I have is in my opinion a quality piece. Top notch paint and a kick ass sculpt. Although the scale is much smaller than Sideshow's marvel pieces.

If youre referring to paint apps and the like, let me tell you that Sideshow has their problems in that area as well. Ive had to return many many pieces from Sideshow, but have only returned 1 bowen piece so far.

Back