Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really.

Is not bs, it's valid.

In BB Bruce trained for like decades before becoming Batman, besides, there's no comparison with Batman's enemies, at all.

Even though, Superman saved people too.

It's not valid. If you have to "reject" the fundamental aspect of what makes a Superhero who he is so that you can accept the character as the Superhero, he might as well be a look-a-like, like Bizarro. :lol

It's not valid. If you have to "reject" the fundamental aspect of what makes a Superhero who he is so that you can accept the character as the Superhero, he might as well be Bizarro. :lol

It is valid, I'm not rejecting the aspect that makes that superhero that is CLEARLY there.

I'm rejecting your argument.

It is valid, I'm not rejecting the aspect that makes that superhero that is CLEARLY there.

I'm rejecting your argument.

You're not rejecting "my argument." You're rejecting the character's origins and personality traits, that've been well established for over half a century. Essentially, you're rejecting the facts. :wave

You're not rejecting "my argument." You're rejecting the character's origins and personality traits, that've been well established for over half a century. Essentially, you're rejecting the facts. :wave

I'm not rejecting the facts, I'm rejecting your argument, the one that states MoS is missing the established traits of Superman, which I'm saying it's not missing them, they're clearly there, what isn't there is the experience, that's all.

Not the facts at all.

:wave Why do you wave?

Yeah, the reason modern comic Superman isn't an evil dictator or whatever is explained to be his Smallville upbringing, that instilled in him morality, respect for humanity, a realization of his great responsibility, etc.

However, in the Man of Steel, his Smallville upbringing seems to consist of his father telling him to let others die if it means revealing himself. And more than that, his father commits suicide to apparently make sure that Clark is willing to do that. . .I'm not sure that kind of upbringing meshes with the comic book explanation. Would more likely lead to the creation of some guilt-ridden psychopath. Which, I suppose, is what Superman ultimately is in Man of Steel. Mission accomplished, Pa Costner.

It would of been nice to have a little more flahsbacks to show some more Smallville scenes, But the scenes they showed reflected what was going on in the present storyline. So it be cool if the sequel had 1 or 2 flashbacks to show some family stuff, relating to whatever will be going on.

Yeah, the reason modern comic Superman isn't an evil dictator or whatever is explained to be his Smallville upbringing, that instilled in him morality, respect for humanity, a realization of his great responsibility, etc.

However, in the Man of Steel, his Smallville upbringing seems to consist of his father telling him to let others die if it means revealing himself. And more than that, his father commits suicide to apparently make sure that Clark is willing to do that. . .I'm not sure that kind of upbringing meshes with the comic book explanation. Would more likely lead to the creation of some guilt-ridden psychopath. Which, I suppose, is what Superman ultimately is in Man of Steel. Mission accomplished, Pa Costner.

Great lesson in MOS.

When you can't handle the heat, off yourself. :slap

I wonder if Pa Kent was secretly hoping that his son would save him, oops. :rotfl

LOL

Yeah, he was probably thinking, "man, I hope he realizes I was joking that one time. Wait. . .he's not coming. Oh, ****."

The philosophical life lesson to Clark this movie presented with the Pa Kent character just made no sense.

Perry White's speech to Lois echoed Pa Kent's message to Clark, surprised Perry didn't jump off a building himself. :rotfl

Who the heck in real life would ever think that the world isn't ready for an alien to be revealed.

That kind of news would be made into a reality tv show in a heart beat. :rotfl

Bottom line, I think Pa Kent hated humans, prove me wrong. :lol

Last edited:
tumblr_mg16xqyNz21qa1kkvo1_500.gif

You like the movie, we get it. Enjoy your Hope Man. :lol

Are you so pompous that you call your opinion/perception, a "reality"?... hmmm I guess it is, like, your own bubble, seems to be a tendency around here.

I will keep enjoying my Superman, thanks.

Are you so pompous that you call your opinion/perception, a "reality"?... hmmm I guess it is, like, your own bubble, seems to be a tendency around here.

I will keep enjoying my Superman, thanks.

It'd be a different story if I was making all this **** up. It's not my "opinion," it's a fact that Superman's upbringing in Smallville was to infuse the character with a small town mentality as an ingrained moral code. This is why Batman always calls him the Boyscout. He has that naive, overprotective nature regarding humanity because of it. I'm not making this **** up and the fact that you so easily dismiss it as such just shows your complete unfamiliarity with the source material. :lol

I'm not unfamiliar with the source material, Supes is my favorite Superhero ever, I'm not denying the source material, are you reading my posts with a thick Mexican accent and that's why they're so hard to understand?

I'm not denying the upbringing, that is there in MoS, I'm denying your argument that such values are missing, which is your opinion, dear duh!

For the gazillionth time. :slap

It'd be a different story if I was making all this **** up. It's not my "opinion," it's a fact that Superman's upbringing in Smallville was to infuse the character with a small town mentality as an ingrained moral code. This is why Batman always calls him the Boyscout. He has that naive, overprotective nature regarding humanity because of it. I'm not making this **** up and the fact that you so easily dismiss it as such just shows your complete unfamiliarity with the source material. :lol

I'm not unfamiliar with the source material, Supes is my favorite Superhero ever, I'm not denying the source material, are you reading my posts with a thick Mexican accent and that's why they're so hard to understand?

I'm not denying the upbringing, that is there in MoS, I'm denying your argument that such values are missing, which is your opinion, dear duh!

For the gazillionth time. :slap

The word here is humility. That's the main story of Superman. How a man of near godlike ability would ever willingly choose to serve a much weaker populace when he could easily rule it is a mystery that even his Kansas upbringing doesn't completely answer, but it is at the foundation of his character.

Giving Zod the ability to attack the earth with a great portion of advanced Kryptonian technology overwhelms what should be a straighforward morality tale between two singular beings into a clash of cultures.

Stamp's Zod was the perfect meglomaniac who flew in the exact opposite moral direction that Reeve Supes did. For him, all power was meant to be used to dominate his enemies and subjugate the weak. Shannon's Zod was operating out of a desire to preserve his culture, which is actually the exact same impulse Cavill Supes was operating on. It was Krypton's culture of DNA determination and technological overreach that was the main bad guy here. Jor-El defied the first part by becoming a sex offender :)lol) and Kal-El defied the second part by destroying the great gravity space squid ship.

The problem with this approach is that Superman is more than the sum of his parts. As mysterious and fascinating as Krypton might have been, it's no replacement for a true villainous Zod that spoke directly against the moral core of what made Superman super... man. As it is in MOS, we got an overblown fight over territory. Winner take all of course.

Last edited:
I like Stamp's straightforward take on Zod for the time of STMP.

But I enjoyed Shannon's more, more threatening, polydimensional, the megalomany and villainy were played a little more subtly, but they were definitely there, dyes of a tragic figure turned vengeful.

Btw, I don't think the baby thing was because having the sex was illegal, I think kryptonians were like genetically neutered or something :lol that's why natural birth had this air of miracle.

Back