Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
* Lets Pa Kent die in a wedge tornado so nobody will see him using his superpowers and reveal his secret.
* A few years later tells the military there's a rocketship in the barn at the family farm. Nice secret. Well worth sacrificing your dad, dumbass.

One of the most pointless death in cinematic history. :rotfl

Last edited:
It's its.

I think Pa Kent's rationale of trying to get Clark to not "expose" his true self makes Kal El's later choices and decisions even more heroic.

Here's his father telling him he shouldn't risk his life to save others, because people will not be ready to accept him, until he finds out the purpose of his having been sent to earth.

He's basically saying, wait a minute son, don't risk your life until you know why you have all these superpowers and can 1. deal with them and 2. better accomplish what you were sent here for.
Remember the flashback to when the other kids were bullying him and he doesn't fight back. Pa Kent can see what's going on, but he lets Clark decide how he should react. It's a way of building character and showing faith in his son. That lesson is reinforced when the fat kid who bullied him in the bus helps him up. It's a valuable lesson to know that people can rise above their earlier mistakes, that if you do good, it will come back to you. And to top it off, Pa Kent gives him a little speech about choosing which man he wants to be, because that man will change the world (IIRC).

So it's not that Pa Kent doesn't want Clark to help or save people, it's that he wants to make sure that Clark has the fortitude and wisdom to do it right when he presents himself to humanity as what he truly is: a god-like being from another planet.

Personally, I find that a lot more complex, true and satisfying than the usual "he was raised by good folks in nowheresville USA so he keeps himself in check".

Which is not to say that that was bad. It's just that I find this more convincing for this day and age. The naiveté of the old story doesn't seem to have much traction for me.

Great post. One of the main things I really liked about both fathers here is that they both saw Kal/Clark as a bridge between the two worlds...and hopefully the best of both.

Great post. One of the main things I really liked about both fathers here is that they both saw Kal/Clark as a bridge between the two worlds...and hopefully the best of both.

How can Pa Kent be seeing that at all, if his rationale is to let himself and perhaps whole bus loads of children, and by association then people in buildings/at work/in cars

....die or be killed just so that Clark does not have to reveal himself?

He even said it in the trailer, Clark asks of the bus rescue (paraphrasing) "So I should have just let them die?"

"Maybe"

The moral of the story is, it's not okay to reveal your superpowers unless someone makes a costume for you... without a mask. :lol

Oh I am with 'Nam on this one.

I am at the point where I am fed up with trying point out why this is a fairly nonsensical film. :banghead

But that's the problem with it, the so called 'logic' behind it and its 'complex emotional content' is as vapid and as shallow as a small puddle on blazing hot day...and once you actually start to scrutinise it logically , the whole thing falls apart so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

So...We all have differing takes on it and we will never see eye to eye on it, so each to their own. This was supposed to be the one that knocks Chris Reeve of the top of the SUPERMAN mountain?

I'm afraid not. Enjoyable trash in a braindead, popcorny sort of way, but not emotional connection to the audience, and no real sense in much of what happens and why.

That's my opinion, feel free to agree or disagree, but now..I'm out!

Did ANYONE like this movie? Countless hate on it now.......

but WB happy you all paid to see it!

Did ANYONE like this movie? Countless hate on it now.......

but WB happy you all paid to see it!

Yes I liked it. It is the first Superman film I actually cared about. Well the first one was not bad.... but that was then and this is now.

Seems to be doing pretty well for a movie "everyone bated." That's just my take.

Once again, I don't hate it. I did like parts of it alot. I have the 3D Bluray on PO, and the figures also. I already have purchased the Special Edition soundtrack. But it still does not topple the Reeve/Donner movies from the position of 'My Favourite Version Of Live-Action Superman' It does not actually come second.

Or third.

But that does not matter, or shouldn't, because that's how I and I alone feel about it...too much spectacle and not enough heart. And what 'heart' there was was wildly superficial in a typically 2013 sort of way.

I took me a long time to start to really love Watchmen, and now, I cannot see why I didn't love it before...so in a couple of years time and more Bluray viewings, this might change.

Still no hope for Sucker Punch though, that's still terrible! :lol

Back