Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel

Then maybe you should try not to put words in people's mouths.

tumblr_m4728eVDuj1r9pfcc.gif

By heart and soul I meant that every character had a solid motivation to do what they did, they had a very defined personality, you could feel the love with which Superman was written to make him feel more human instead of the flawless god from the comics.

Even though the plot was as simple: "We need your planet to build a new one for us because our original planet went ka-boom" they made it exciting again.

So superman's motivation for all that damage was to help people?

I love prometheus, but I have to admit that I have to let many things go in order to enjoy it, TDKR wasn't perfect, but most of it's mistakes are really nitpicks.

But MoS is completely different, a couple nitpicks and no real criticism for me.

But the buildings were clearly empty :dunno.

I loved the characters, specially Faora and her evolutionary advantage :lol The Supes and Lois falling in love bit was too forced though, everything else just fell into place smoothly IMO

Well I don't want to argue about it that much more, it's annoying when people discuss something that was already discussed in a thread.

The other thing IMO when he was shown the suit and bang next shot he's superman that was fast.

I can only speak for myself, but if I lived in Metropolis and a giant three leg machine from space starting hovering and fired an energy beam...

I would get the F outta there.

I'm going to guess a few other people would too. You'd have to be a pretty hardcore employee to be nose down in a spreadsheet while all of that is going on outside. I expect a few people left work early.

So superman's motivation for all that damage was to help people?

Dude, he literally was taken from a tuna boat straight to save mankind, what did you expect?

He was a stupid Superman, that's only logical, he has to BECOME the Superman we know, what's the point in aspiring to be like him, if he is flawless by nature from the beginning? We couldn't even reach him, He has to learn and wisen up, this was his very 1st fight, I mean, common sense.

It was a realistic Superman, did you seriously expect him to save every single person? Although the buildings were empty.

Plus the people he had a chance to save when he wasn't being owned by Zod or Faora he did save, like that man falling from the chopper.

yeah Every time I hear about all the people Superman probably killed makes me laugh :lol

To make an omlette you got to break a few eggs.

This was Superman when he first became Superman and had to fight people equal to him for the first time in his life.

Superhero movies always bring out the beast in everybody. Every year. lol

:exactly: :rotfl

He was put into an impossible situation and forced to make a huge sacrifice. Now lets see how that molds and shapes him.

:goodpost:

My god, the few people criticizing the movie don't even have a point, just sarcasm, guess that happens when you don't have enough material to hate on something, Avengers this avengers that, I loved Avengers but it was completely mindless, MoS had heart, soul, a good script, and it wasn't too fast IMO, sure it had technical flaws, what movie doesn't? It's still less flawed than the Nolan Trilogy and Avengers.

I loved it and I'm a Supes fan.

:exactly: :goodpost:

By heart and soul I meant that every character had a solid motivation to do what they did, they had a very defined personality.

:exactly: Everyone had a reason thier actions.

Well it wasn't sacrifice and it wasn't anywhere near 1 million.

I mean, there were less people in MoS than in Avengers.

Seriously, the world engine starts banging and after several minutes or an hour you expect people to still be finishing paperwork inside the buildings....?

:cuckoo:

Interesting...

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/18/what-would-man-of-steels-destruction-cost
The WTC estimates that in the days after the attack, 129,000 people would be confirmed killed, nearly a million would be injured, and over a quarter of a million would still be missing. The impact “seemed to be similar to an air burst from a 20kt nuclear explosion in terms of shock effects, but without the radiation or thermal effects.”

Additionally, some $700 billion in physical damage would be done to the city. Cleanup, economic impact, and other costs would eventually bring that number into the trillions of dollars.

Why is nobody thinking of it this way...

If Superman didn't intervene and cause this property damage and collateral deaths then the death count and city damage would be 6.5 billion and total world city destruction.

If i was Superman i'd say "Fug ya next time i'll fly off to another planet and leave ya all to be exterminated"

No, not interesting, not one bit.

The attacks on WTC were sudden and afterwards the surrounding buildings were evacuated within minutes.

In MoS the world engine was banging for a long time, it's illogical to think there was still people inside the buildings or anywhere near where the destruction occurred.

And about the destruction, like I said, he was a stupid Superman in his very first attempt to save the world, it would've been idiotic if it happened any other way, I expect negative reactions from the media and the people in Metropolis in MoS2, questioning how much Supes cost to the city even after he saved them, just like Batman and the debates about the morality in his actions.

Saw the movie last weekend. Thought it was great despite a few pacing problems in the middle. Going to see it again this weekend.

And I really, really enjoyed the decision he made at the end of the movie. As well as the massive destruction in Metropolis. Just shows you that Supes doesn't quite know what he's doing yet and lacks experience. Great "begins" film. Can't wait to see the sequel/ WF/JLA.

No, not interesting, not one bit.

The attacks on WTC were sudden and afterwards the surrounding buildings were evacuated within minutes.

In MoS the world engine was banging for a long time, it's illogical to think there was still people inside the buildings or anywhere near where the destruction occurred.

And about the destruction, like I said, he was a stupid Superman in his very first attempt to save the world, it would've been idiotic if it happened any other way, I expect negative reactions from the media and the people in Metropolis in MoS2, questioning how much Supes cost to the city even after he saved them, just like Batman and the debates about the morality in his actions.

Ok, wait a minute. You do realize the buildings didn't immedialtely topple during 911 and people were still trapped and killed once the building did fall. Shoot, just the building that fell when Perry and Jenny were street level would've killed hundreds because Superman "suddenly" flew threw it.

The excuses made for poor story telling is outta this world. So Superman is dumb, ok. But he's still good. So even a dummy who is inherently good, is still going to save people WHILE fighting Zod. If the theories are right, and he was indeed stronger than Zod at that point in time (strong enough to break his neck), then he should've also been able to save people in the midst of the battle. Superman has been doing that in the comics forever. It was one of the points made while fighting Doomsday. Not only was he fighting this creature that was in effect, stronger than him, but he was saving lives at the same time.

Re: the ol' Ultra-Violence

Did we actually see anyone 'die in droves'? I'm pretty sure we're are supposed to believe that no one was dying. That's certainly the impression I got.

Well, real-world experience leads me to believe that there would still be a substantial amount of casualties when the destruction of large buildings in an urban area is the item in question.

World Trade Center attacks, 9/11: many of not most people knew that something horrid was going down, even if they did not know exactly that planes had slammed into the WTC just yet. People were fleeing, they were in elevators and stairwells, trying hard to get out. Many of them made it out - but a lot of people did not.

Would things be any different in Metropolis? Doubt it.

My point being that skyscrapers and other large buildings don't just magically empty out. It takes time, and then you got people on the street instead of in a building - they're even more exposed.

Perhaps there were magically no casualties in Metropolis, but common sense leads me to believe otherwise.

I love these discussions. Everyone has conviction behind their points of view on the movie. I'm glad no one has been put off or left the thread because of differing opinions, that I know of. I hope we can continue to agree to disagree on this level and not resort to the name calling I've seen in other threads.

IMO it was a great movie. I love the characters and maybe I have rose colored glasses when it comes to its faults but I can still see everyone's points of view. I may not agree with all of them but I can see where those views are coming from.

As far as heart is concerned, I was moved to tears in several scenes. I'm not a big cryer and neither is my wife but she was bawling in several spots during the movie too.

-Lara saying goodbye to Kal got me.
-Jor Els death? Tear.
-When Clark asked Johnathan "Did God do this to me?" Niagara Falls.
-When he asks "Can't I just keep pretending I'm your son?" Weeping.
-Clark's reaction to his fathers decision not to save him from the tornado? Yup.
-when he finally gets to practice his powers/learning to fly? Misty.
-Preacher telling him "you just have to take a leap of faith and the trust comes later?" A bit.
-Martha worried about his labored breathing as a baby and the government taking Clark away? Yup.
-The fear on Kals face when he realizes Zod will stop at nothing to destroy every human on the planet? Yes.
-And last but not least. The horror on his face when he has to do the unthinkable to save those humans. Humans who have pushed him and tormented him all his life. The struggle within himself and how torn he truly is by choosing his adoptive planet and its inhabitants over his own? Definitely.

I don't know if you guys who are voicing your disappointment with this movie have kids or not but I do. And I can honestly say I felt for both sets of his parents and for Clark. For those of you who have never lost a parent I can see where you may not see the emotion in those scenes but I can tell you it felt real. I lost my own mother 3 years ago and believe me its emotional. Maybe you guys are stronger emotionally and don't let your emotions guide you like Vulcans. Maybe it just takes a lot more to move you than losing your new born child, or watching your father die right before your eyes but I for one think this movie is loaded with heart and soul and purpose. Maybe I'm a fool. But maybe I'm not.

I wonder if those complaining about the potential pixels deathtoll are offended about whats going on in Syria, Brasilia, Turkiye...

And yes those buildings were clearly empty.

DBOK,
well the way they handled Clark got me.
Smallville treating him as a freak, how pa kent was so afraid the world would hurt his son that he died for him (the dog thing was a bit embarrassing i admit, saving a kid would have felt better).
You can feel the repressed anger bursting when he fought for the first time. He was not perfect and i liked it.
He's KAL on the way to become Superman.
Even Zods arc was cool, he was engineered to protect Krypton, his suicide by cop in the end was rough.
The guy lost everything, he had only rage.
Maybe it was the realistic dressing that got me.
Or all the father and son thing since i'm a father now.
I liked it. Its not perfect and i know it (moves way too fast).

Ok, that's cool. I had serious issues with Kal/Clark being treated as an absolute wierdo/freak while in Smallville. From what was portrayed, he was absolutely tormented by humans (even by his BEST FRIEND Pete) well into pubecense and probably further. They could've shown him at least interact with humans in a positive light during his upbringing, but they wanted to smash the point home that he isn't accepted anywhere. That, to me, flies in the face of how he suddenly puts on a suit, and is immediately the worlds protector and cares enough about the human race to extinguish his own, newly discovered one.

I mean, look at the joy on his face when he comes back to see his mother after the visit with Jor-El. He's absolutely elated because he feels like he finally belongs and knows who his real "people" are. His mother starts crying, and I'm waiting for Cavill to at least say something like "but you're the true mother I've known", or at least comfort her, knowing that she is losing her only son to the world. He just smiles at her and says "what?".....:slap

I love these discussions. Everyone has conviction behind their points of view on the movie. I'm glad no one has been put off or left the thread because of differing opinions, that I know of. I hope we can continue to agree to disagree on this level and not resort to the name calling I've seen in other threads.

IMO it was a great movie. I love the characters and maybe I have rose colored glasses when it comes to its faults but I can still see everyone's points of view. I may not agree with all of them but I can see where those views are coming from.

As far as heart is concerned, I was moved to tears in several scenes. I'm not a big cryer and neither is my wife but she was bawling in several spots during the movie too.

-Lara saying goodbye to Kal got me.
-Jor Els death? Tear.
-When Clark asked Johnathan "Did God do this to me?" Niagara Falls.
-When he asks "Can't I just keep pretending I'm your son?" Weeping.
-Clark's reaction to his fathers decision not to save him from the tornado? Yup.
-when he finally gets to practice his powers/learning to fly? Misty.
-Preacher telling him "you just have to take a leap of faith and the trust comes later?" A bit.
-Martha worried about his labored breathing as a baby and the government taking Clark away? Yup.
-The fear on Kals face when he realizes Zod will stop at nothing to destroy every human on the planet? Yes.
-And last but not least. The horror on his face when he has to do the unthinkable to save those humans. Humans who have pushed him and tormented him all his life. The struggle within himself and how torn he truly is by choosing his adoptive planet and its inhabitants over his own? Definitely.

I don't know if you guys who are voicing your disappointment with this movie have kids or not but I do. And I can honestly say I felt for both sets of his parents and for Clark. For those of you who have never lost a parent I can see where you may not see the emotion in those scenes but I can tell you it felt real. I lost my own mother 3 years ago and believe me its emotional. Maybe you guys are stronger emotionally and don't let your emotions guide you like Vulcans. Maybe it just takes a lot more to move you than losing your new born child, or watching your father die right before your eyes but I for one think this movie is loaded with heart and soul and purpose. Maybe I'm a fool. But maybe I'm not.

:hi5::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

I wonder if those complaining about the potential pixels deathtoll are offended about whats going on in Syria, Brasilia, Turkiye...

Sorry, but this has absolutely nothing to do with a movie discussion.

Back