Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

August 26, 2008: Industry Reactions to Superman Reboot News
Superman Returns In light of the recent announcement from Warner Bros. that the Superman film franchise would be "reintroduced", the Superman Homepage contacted various Superman related identities to get their reaction to the news.

Greg Rucka (writer at DC Comics) said, "Hmm...well, yeah, I think a reboot is a good idea at this point. While there are elements of Returns that I thought worked quite well, the film utterly failed, in my opinion, to demonstrate why Superman is, frankly, the best of the best. And there's the tiny little problem I have with making any kind of Superman movie that you can't bring an 8 year old to see, let alone a 10 year old. Batman? Sure, PG-13 all the way. But Superman, especially as a film, needs to be something that both kids and adults can enjoy -- in many ways, it goes to the core of the character, his universality. So I don't think a reboot is a bad idea -- as long as we don't end up with a take on the material that has Kal getting his power from a special suit, or that turns Doomsday into his long-lost brother."

As for whether Rucka could see himself writing the script for the next Superman movie, "Oh hell yeah! Will it happen? I can't imagine it. But damn, I'd be there in a micro-second, no question."

Jack O'Halloran, who starred as Non in "Superman: The Movie" and "Superman II", says the decision to reboot comes down to money. "Warner's weren't happy with the returns on Superman Returns." As for who he'd like to replace Bryan Singer if the director decides not to continue on with the Man of Steel, O'Halloran says, "I hope if they are rebooting Superman they hand the reins to Richard Donner. It would be the salvation of the series. ^^^^ has such a passion for the series, the fan base would finally get what they have been waiting for someone with the passion to light up the screen."

Comic book writer Mark Waid told SaveSuperman.com that he thought the reboot was necessary but that he has reservations. "I think it's a good idea - though the idea of making Superman "darker" chills me to the bone. Still, what Batman Begins did for Batman gives me confidence. I have enormous respect for Singer, for Routh, and for all the people involved with RETURNS, I really do - and I'm sorry the sound bites picked up for the MTV piece didn't really reflect that - but as much as I loved RETURNS, and I really did, I grudgingly accept that the general audience thought of it as a misstep and that a reboot is probably necessary."

I agree with O'Halloran. Donner IS still around and making movies. And he is a huge Supeman fan, who had alot of ideas before being kicked off by the Salkinds. Why NOT him?

I think for another Superman movie, they should take a huge cue from the animated series. I think that series was 100 times better than any Superman movie.
I think the only reason why I liked the Donner Superman movies was because it was all there was at the time as far as comic book movies go. Until Spider-man and X-Men, they had no real comparison.
Hopefully for a new Superman movie, they stick to a fairly basic Superman movie. I would love to just see an origin movie, where he doesn't even get the suit until halfway or 2/3's of the way through the movie.

I agree with O'Halloran. Donner IS still around and making movies. And he is a huge Supeman fan, who had alot of ideas before being kicked off by the Salkinds. Why NOT him?

Prolly cause pretty much all his recent films have failed to perform well at the box office.

It's strange. I grew up on STAS, and for some reason I really disliked the Superman character and stories. I would have taken Batman anyday. It wasn't until a saw the Donner film that I truly became a fan.

Donner is busy writing a Superman comic - he doesn't have time for movies.

And I think it needs new blood - like Nolan was for Begins and Singer was for X-Men. Perhaps if Star Trek does well they'll go back to Abrams, which would be okay with me.

I have a sinking feeling that the next Superman movie will be just as horrible as Returns was.

https://www.bamkapow.com/mark-millar-talks-about-potential-superman-trilogy--1812-p.html

Mark Millar doing a G4 interview. Not sure when it was taped obviously before the official announcement of the reboot but its interesting to hear that he want a Lord of the Rings styled shooting and release for Superman. You have to sort of go past the usual blowhard stuff that Millar is known for but it IS nice to hear people discussing Comic properties like actual films which is why I think Nolan's Batman films have been so well received.

He keeps playing coy at the director that apparently he is tied to but has anyone heard anything about who is tying this wagon to his horse? Its obviously not Donner since he mentions him openly and probably wouldn't have it this was the guy who was lobbying for the new Superman franchise.

I must be a rare person who liked superman returns.

Though I guess with the success of The Dark Knight, they will probably make any new Superman film really dark and bleak.

This may be an odd choice, but I'd like to see a director like Alfonso Cuaron take a stab at it.

Or maybe Guillermo Del Toro would be interesting. Get a director that isn't known for the action movies (granted Del Toro has done Hellboy) and see what they make out of it.

Donner is busy writing a Superman comic - he doesn't have time for movies.

And I think it needs new blood - like Nolan was for Begins and Singer was for X-Men. Perhaps if Star Trek does well they'll go back to Abrams, which would be okay with me.

If they do, I hope Abrams will rewrite his script. I liked it, but I didn't think it was that great.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we all want this:

krypto.jpg

On AICN Moriarty suggested that the perfect way to do the next Superman film is to adapt the novel set in the '30s IT'S SUPERMAN and let the Coens direct it.

I'm a fan of the Coens and I've read the book and liked it okay - but I think this is the worst idea ever. Superman is timeless, you don't have to set it in the '30s for it to be relevant. The innocence and integrity of Superman is what the modern world needs, and a decent filmmaker could figure that out.

I've come to like smallville so much, I don't think I can watch a superman movie without that cast. But as far as a director thats tough.

WB has already said they are following the Marvel Example without coming out and saying those particular words. They want a Justice League film as bad a Marvel Studios wants the Avengers and so look for all the members of JL to be done in modern times and I wouldn't be surprised if you see small crossovers. I don't think you'll see Bruce Wayne walking around Metropolis but I wouldn't be surprised if Lois Lane was attending a Wayne Enterprise press conference by the next Batman film or something along those lines.

I believe Bale has been pretty vocal about not being involved in anything like that because it wouldn't make sense with the world Nolan created, so I doubt Nolan would ever include anything like that in his next film.

Bale said that he would be opposed to something not naturally flowing with the World that Nolan created specifically. Nolan hasn't said a word about it except that he wants everything based in realism. Having a reporter who was just named Lois Lane would be out of the realms of reality? :lol

The thing about the DC Universe is that they create their heroes as Gods and so each one is larger than life. It'll be the task to make them more accessible. From what is being said of the Green Lantern film, its said to really have a modern base with the extraordinary stuff occurring in space where there is a definite shift.

Batman exists in that world, I guarantee you that unless DC takes a serious page out of the Avengers handbook and goes charter members which had neither Batman nor Superman, they'll be included as well.

If WB wants JL allusions in the next Bat film, Nolan will do it but he'll do it on his terms. Nothing outlandish so a cameo by a supporting character makes the most sense from any of the JL members. You couldn't see a man walking down Gotham's streets and referred to as John Jones (J'onn J'onzz) at one point as a nice throwaway but keeping into the realism? They pulled it off in Smallville without a problem

Also, the Justice League film if/when it gets done will probably have nothing to do with Nolan at all, unless he sees it as a serious challenge and wants to helm it. What Nolan has done is show that the films are more successful when they are accessible which has been a difficult thing for DC characters in general, he is not the endall by any means for these films and although his influence will be felt, you have to get extraordinary when you deal with Aquaman, Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, etc. Just doesn't flow any other way.

I wouldn't count Bale out completely either. He said he loves playing Batman and would continue until he was asked to leave (his words) and if the script was good and interesting he'd get involved. That is his M.O. Oliver Stone had him originally slated to play George W. Bush up to the point of putting on aging prothestics and he backed out at the last minute because he didn't "feel" he could do it. He is an actor always looking for a challenge and what better challenge than bringing realism and seriousness as well as keeping the integrity of the character he helped reinvent when that character is taken out of Gotham and put into a larger world? Remember Batman was always the grounding force of the Justice League to the point of having plans in case any of them get out of control. Bale could play that part of the realist without much trouble.

On AICN Moriarty suggested that the perfect way to do the next Superman film is to adapt the novel set in the '30s IT'S SUPERMAN and let the Coens direct it.

I'm a fan of the Coens and I've read the book and liked it okay - but I think this is the worst idea ever. Superman is timeless, you don't have to set it in the '30s for it to be relevant. The innocence and integrity of Superman is what the modern world needs, and a decent filmmaker could figure that out.

Sort of like The Hudsucker Proxy meets Sky Captain meets the Fleischer Brother cartoons. It would be cool to see, but it's not the right direction to take the Superman franchise. Not now.

Sort of like The Hudsucker Proxy meets Sky Captain meets the Fleischer Brother cartoons. It would be cool to see, but it's not the right direction to take the Superman franchise. Not now.

This is why I'd love to see superhero films treated more like comic titles. They should have two or three different continuities going with each hero, each with different actors playing the roles.

That way we could see the Fleischer Supes, the Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, etc.

Back