Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

What made TDK dark was the Joker not Batman, in fact throughout the whole film Batman was preaching about hope and beacons of light. Tortured sure but not dark. It was the levels that they made The Joker the villain and his twisted humor that really put it in that frame of mind not to mention the continued feel that Gotham was still lost even with Batman.

Superman will most likely run the same way, tortured but not dark. I would worry more about them going too nuts with the villains then with the heroes. All the DC heroes have themes, the Green Lantern's is based on the protector motif while The Flash is about Legacy.

This is BULL^^^^! A Superman film, like the character itself, should have a positive and inspirational message. Going out of the way to make a dark Superman film would be an insult to the character.

Plus, no reboot is gonna top the first Donner film. Even Batman Begins owes a debt to it. It would be like "rebooting" Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

However I wouldn't mind a revamped sequel along the lines of THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Change the direction and look from SR, and up the action, but at least keep the tone of the original, and the John Williams music.

About time WB made a decision. They've been like Hamlet with this movie.

I think a Superman movie should be dark in the same way Logan's Run was dark.

Re: A Darker Superman movie coming....

We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

What I took from that is simply they want to mimic how Batman Begins/TDK realistically portrays the characters within those movies. Neither of those movies feel like standard comic book based films. Especially in the drama department. "But Batman is a darker character". True.. but so is Superman in a way. He's just never been portrayed as such on film. But imo he has in the cartoon. It's funny, you have all these films with Supes and they're all pretty corny, cheesy etc. Then you have a WB cartoon, that's suppose to be CARTOONY.. yet certain episodes had more depth and drama then all the films combined. Lex Luther was particularly portrayed well in that cartoon. One of my favorite episodes was "The Prometheon". imo if by "Darker" WB means making a Superman movie like that episode, or like some of the cartoon episodes in general, I think that would greatly benefit the franchise. Supes doesn't need to have angst.. lol. Just an upgrade from the cheesy crap that names been attached to in films.

Hmmmm....darker tone? Perhaps if it finally brings us a decent Superman flick then i'll go with that

This is BULL^^^^! A Superman film, like the character itself, should have a positive and inspirational message. Going out of the way to make a dark Superman film would be an insult to the character.

Plus, no reboot is gonna top the first Donner film. Even Batman Begins owes a debt to it. It would be like "rebooting" Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

However I wouldn't mind a revamped sequel along the lines of THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Change the direction and look from SR, and up the action, but at least keep the tone of the original, and the John Williams music.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

The good thing about superman is that he isn't mentally weak like us humans. He knows that his ego doesn't come first. If you kill this he is no longer the superman. A darker tone won't fit the character. Damn Nolan and his bat-guano:rolleyes:.

It's too bad that Smallville already has a Justice League, but transferring Smallville to the big screen could give them their more dark and emotional Superman. Clark and Lex already have angsty history.

But I'm sure they'll want to see the JL and all of Clark's villains re-imagined for the big screen. The TV incarnations of Bizarro, Brainiac, Zod, etc. just aren't epic movie worthy.

hmmm.... a darker Superman, we've heard that before. It also involved giant spiders, gay robots, polar fights, and this crap

Superman_battle2.jpg

Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with the character, they just know that they have the most famous superhero ever and they don't care how the movie gets made, or if it's true to the material, they just wanna slap the symbol obn as much crap as possible and make money. this was proven when Will Smith admitted that he was offered the role of big blue before he did Hancock.

They don't care about making a good Superman movie they want to make a profitable movie.

They don't care about making a good Superman movie they want to make a profitable movie.

Hopefully they'll realize that a large part of the success of TDK and Iron Man is their critical reception and will give the Superman filmmakers leeway to get a decent script together. At least they aren't Fox who sets a release date before the script is even written.

Whatever they're plans, I hope bringing Smallville to the big screen ain't part of it. It's barely good enough to be on tv imo.

A dark Superman is a bad idea, he's the complete antithesis of dark. A dark Superman movie could work though. I remember a particularly dark episode of the Superman cartoon that was on a few years ago where Darkseid invades Earth and kills one of Superman's cop buddies. Something with that tone would work very well I think.

Look for DC movies to follow more of a Marvel pattern now. When Iron Man was still breaking its box office, one of the common appaulds was that it was so close to the source material. Hulk was given a nod in that direction but not as strong. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige agreed on the record that keeping close to the source is what made Iron Man so unique in comparison to other comic book films. A week later WB/DC met behind closed doors to talk about their Superhero films.

If the next Superman film is just like a comic on screen in terms of representation, he wouldn't owe that to TDK, he'd owe that to ol' Tony.

Back