Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did you use Green Lantern as an example?

You mean the character, or that recent... movie? :lol

I meant the character, If this was any other character besides Superman people would have loved this movie. If they changed the farm setting and made this guy another hero I could see everyone loving the movie.

The only reason it gets so much hate is because he didn't have that red underwear on and he didn't save kids from a falling bridge or kitties from a tree.

Yeah, sure.. that's it. :lol

I'd like to add that I was really bummed that Gene Hackman & Margot Kidder weren't in it either.

Really took me out of the film.. :monkey2

:lol

Last edited:
The more you watch this movie the worse it gets

Are you disappointed in it as a movie or because it was not in line with what you would expect a superman movie should be which I guess for most people would be some thing along the lines of the original movie.

I for one love this movie and I am glad that DC had its own style when creating their universe . I like the grounded feel similar to the Dark Knight series only done with a different character. And to be honest and I have said this before I think we all expect them to adapt the Death and Return of Superman which will lend its self to this type of feel especially when they "kill " him.

When you know that dragon ball z is actually inspired by superman thats pretty cool.

Cant get enough of the final battle, its relentless, violent and beautifully shot.
Doubt any movie Will top that level of superheros action anytime soon.
Jay Olivia and Snyder are a great team cant wait to see what they come up with MOS 2 and JLA.

I watched the 78 Superman movie the other day on cable. The story, although flawed is interesting in that after superman first appears he establishes the fact that he's here to help by doing good deeds, saves Lois lane, saves the presidents plane, rescues a cat out of a tree. In the MOS he's never really gets that chance. He's there then he's in this big fight. So I guess it's natural that the general has some reservations about him. True he defended the world against an alien invasion, but he could just be doing it to Serve Mankind like in the twilight zone episode.

if this movie was Green Lantern or something different like that no one would hate on it. That's a fact.
Well the tone was wrong for Superman, I agree with you about that. But it also had lots of other issues that had nothing to do with the source material, like an unnecessarily convoluted subplot, unconvincing drama, and various odd motivations/behaviors by characters. Putting that aside, I'm not sure it would fit with any Green Lantern I'm familiar with barring, maybe Sinestro. Wouldn't really fit with Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, or G'Nort, any more than it did for Superman. Maybe this type of movie would have worked for Ghostrider though, or Punisher or something. Certainly any number of Rob Liefeld creations would have been perfectly at home.

In fact, I hope one day the studios realize how perfect a pairing Liefeld and Snyder would be. Two peas in a pod. You don't even really need a writer for that one, just let those guys spontaneously riff. It would be like Sucker Punch on steroids!

Nope, I like it more every time I watch it.

Same, although I've burnt out on it and probably won't watch it again soon, 3x at the theater and a handful of viewings at home and I still root for Zod to rip Clark's heart out.
I really can't identify with hating a movie more every time I watch it, cause I don't keep watching movies I don't like... crazy stuff :panic:

I watched the 78 Superman movie the other day on cable. The story, although flawed is interesting in that after superman first appears he establishes the fact that he's here to help by doing good deeds, saves Lois lane, saves the presidents plane, rescues a cat out of a tree. In the MOS he's never really gets that chance. He's there then he's in this big fight. So I guess it's natural that the general has some reservations about him. True he defended the world against an alien invasion, but he could just be doing it to Serve Mankind like in the twilight zone episode.

We did see him save the oil rig workers and see him saving the bus in the flashback. Not as impressive as saving a cat from a tree I guess

Yeah, but no one know who he was. When Reeve Superman stopped that boat full of criminals he was fully suited Man Of Steel!

Well the tone was wrong for Superman, I agree with you about that. But it also had lots of other issues that had nothing to do with the source material, like an unnecessarily convoluted subplot, unconvincing drama, and various odd motivations/behaviors by characters. Putting that aside, I'm not sure it would fit with any Green Lantern I'm familiar with barring, maybe Sinestro. Wouldn't really fit with Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, or G'Nort, any more than it did for Superman. Maybe this type of movie would have worked for Ghostrider though, or Punisher or something. Certainly any number of Rob Liefeld creations would have been perfectly at home.

In fact, I hope one day the studios realize how perfect a pairing Liefeld and Snyder would be. Two peas in a pod. You don't even really need a writer for that one, just let those guys spontaneously riff. It would be like Sucker Punch on steroids!

Wrong. It's just not the tone you wanted for a Superman movie, or the exact same tone from he Reeve Superman. But it is correct for a Superman story. It matches the tone of several Superman stories in comics both classic and modern.

Wrong. It's just not the tone you wanted for a Superman movie, or the exact same tone from he Reeve Superman. But it is correct for a Superman story. It matches the tone of several Superman stories in comics both classic and modern.

Even DEATH OF SUPERMAN wasn't as sanctimonious and bleak as MAN OF STEEL.

I like the grounded feel

I really hate that expression. It's the ''in'' movie expression these days that no one would have known WTF it was supposed to mean a few years ago but suddenly everyone and his auntie is saying it now.

And does anyone else see the irony in using it in the context of Superman? I suppose we should be relieved they didn't see it all the way through and actually make it that he couldn't fly.

I really hate that expression. It's the ''in'' movie expression these days that no one would have known WTF it was supposed to mean a few years ago but suddenly everyone and his auntie is saying it now.

And does anyone else see the irony in using it in the context of Superman? I suppose we should be relieved they didn't see it all the way through and actually make it that he couldn't fly.

Grounded to me means it feel real. Thats the feeling I got from it it well I know he cant turn back time and kiss away memories maybe next time

Back