Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also find it extremely odd that people tend to "hang out" in a thread relating to a film they absolutely HATED. :dunno I understand posting why you (not you specifically, just those this relates too) didn't like it and even wanting to discuss the flaws you had with it personally, but months later? :cuckoo: We get it, you didn't like it, but why try and hinder other's enjoyment because they did?

True,

But sometimes people need convincing! I did that with TDK, a movie that really didn't do it for me. I tried to make my points several time because I couldn't possibly be the only one not to like it.

Well, it didn't go the way I wanted. I started to think that I may be wrong and not the others.

I watched it again, and again, and again and saw a lot of things I hadn't seen before. Sometime when your viewpoint changes, you get to see things in a whole different way!

I think a lot of whiners come to see to these thread for the very same reason: understand or convince!

Believe me or not, I was rather lukewarm to the new MOS, and multiple viewings and an open mind have made me a great defender of that movie.

Hanging around can have its merits! :)

I also find it extremely odd that people tend to "hang out" in a thread relating to a film they absolutely HATED. :dunno I understand posting why you (not you specifically, just those this relates too) didn't like it and even wanting to discuss the flaws you had with it personally, but months later? :cuckoo: We get it, you didn't like it, but why try and hinder other's enjoyment because they did?

You should check out the Metal Gear Solid thread, your mind would be blown if you see how many people post in there just to talk about how much the game will suck.

True,

But sometimes people need convincing! I did that with TDK, a movie that really didn't do it for me. I tried to make my points several time because I couldn't possibly be the only one not to like it.

Well, it didn't go the way I wanted. I started to think that I may be wrong and not the others.

I watched it again, and again, and again and saw a lot of things I hadn't seen before. Sometime when your viewpoint changes, you get to see things in a whole different way!

I think a lot of whiners come to see to these thread for the very same reason: understand or convince!

Believe me or not, I was rather lukewarm to the new MOS, and multiple viewings and an open mind have made me a great defender of that movie.

Hanging around can have its merits! :)

People like you restore my faith in humanity. And I mean that generally, not just concerning one film. I don't get why people clasp to one opinion so tight and never waver in it again when it comes to films (or other things). So many of my favourite films, so many of my favourite music I had to listen to more than a couple of times to start to realise how good it was. I've gone through so many critiques on MoS with so many people and everyone who's even partly willing to except reasonable arguments has to ditch at least half of their problems with it.

I haven't followed the entire discussion in the thread but I stumbled upon it while searching the forum and had to take a peak and when I saw your comment I just had to respond.:lol

In any case, Man of Steel looks a lot more shallow than it actually is. In fact, I find it one of the best thought through comic books films in a long time. You can dislike the film for whatever reason and you can nitpick technical aspects but the opinion that it's a dumb movie is factually 'debunk-able'.

My personal only two real gripes are that there's not enough of Pa Kent, or at least his screen time is debatably minimal to establish his character. I hope the flashbacks with him will continue in MoS, which in that case kind of nullifies my gripe with it in MoS. I also found the romance between Lois and Clarke unnecessarily rushed. That could've been more nuanced as they have sequels to expand upon that.

In any case, I'm glad to see someone who's still able to change their mind on art. Films (and other art) become a lot more fun if you're open to more POVs.

People like you restore my faith in humanity. And I mean that generally, not just concerning one film. I don't get why people clasp to one opinion so tight and never waver in it again when it comes to films (or other things). So many of my favourite films, so many of my favourite music I had to listen to more than a couple of times to start to realise how good it was. I've gone through so many critiques on MoS with so many people and everyone who's even partly willing to except reasonable arguments has to ditch at least half of their problems with it.

I haven't followed the entire discussion in the thread but I stumbled upon it while searching the forum and had to take a peak and when I saw your comment I just had to respond.:lol

In any case, Man of Steel looks a lot more shallow than it actually is. In fact, I find it one of the best thought through comic books films in a long time. You can dislike the film for whatever reason and you can nitpick technical aspects but the opinion that it's a dumb movie is factually 'debunk-able'.

My personal only two real gripes are that there's not enough of Pa Kent, or at least his screen time is debatably minimal to establish his character. I hope the flashbacks with him will continue in MoS, which in that case kind of nullifies my gripe with it in MoS. I also found the romance between Lois and Clarke unnecessarily rushed. That could've been more nuanced as they have sequels to expand upon that.

In any case, I'm glad to see someone who's still able to change their mind on art. Films (and other art) become a lot more fun if you're open to more POVs.

Exactly it's different it's not the old bs superman.

There's nothing wrong in changing your mind. Sometimes, it doesn't take much to appreciate things differently. I also think that time and circumstances are a factor. Obviously, I had watched TDK at a moment when I really wasn't into it, and I came with expectations about the Joker.

It's not always easy to come to a movie with a completely open mid. You come to it with expectations, with what you know or would like to see, with what you've read about it, with what the trailer wanted you to believe...

All in all, the best way is not to expect anything and let yourself be surprised, and be sensible enough to admit that you may have missed something.

I watched Blade Runner when I was about 15 and hated it. It was slow paced, there were lots of stuff I didn't understand (the empty buildings, the need for mechanical animals...). Well believe it or not, this movie is among my top five now. There are so many hidden gems in it,

To get back to MOS, the film is good. Perfect? No! Everything can be perfected! But at least it's a fresh take. It doesn't affect my thinking that CR IS Superman, but I can really live with this new Supes!

For the same reason, I won't say the Batfleck sucks or Gadot can't be WW until I've had the time to judge by myself and hear the others opinion on it. Every point can be valid!

The only thing I'm really curious for the moment is how they will handle CK's secret identity and how they'll managed the suit underneath the clothes in a realistic way!:)

The only thing I'm really curious for the moment is how they will handle CK's secret identity and how they'll managed the suit underneath the clothes in a realistic way!:)

Well Lois obviously knows, so she can help to cover for Clark if anyone ever gets suspicious

Beyond that, I really don't think we'll see the typical mild mannered Clark Kent, I mean, even with the glasses on at the end he still look like he walked off a magazine cover

People are gonna notice this guy around the office, however, there are few people who will meet both Superman and Clark, and I think that's the way that they will approach it

Lois and his Mother are really the only 2 people who have been close to him in both personas, no-one has any pictures of Superman to recognise him and the soldiers who meet him throughout the film don't meet Clark, or if they do it's incredibly limited time.

So really, no-one should be connecting the dots.

Not so sure about that!

I read an article once where Snyder explained that according to him, a few people, both in Smallville and at the Daily Planet would know about his dual identity and would be very protective of him.

And frankly, in today's world, with CCTV, cellphones and cams of all sort, I can't see how a picture of Superman could be avoided!

So that's what I'm most interested in knowing so far: how can they play this in a believable way?

And as I said, there's the whole suit issue. Gone is the time when you could have Superman run around with is costume, cape and boots underneath his clothes. Not really possible.

Yet, if he carries it in a bag, the size of the cape makes it a real big one. And ha has to Cary it all the time in case of emergency.

So there's the 52 way, with the suit being able to Chang shape, but if they go this route,nothing indicates the Kryptonians have this kind of tech in the first installment.

So I'm really curious! It's the kind of detail that can make or break the myth!:)

Not so sure about that!

I read an article once where Snyder explained that according to him, a few people, both in Smallville and at the Daily Planet would know about his dual identity and would be very protective of him.

And frankly, in today's world, with CCTV, cellphones and cams of all sort, I can't see how a picture of Superman could be avoided!

So that's what I'm most interested in knowing so far: how can they play this in a believable way?

And as I said, there's the whole suit issue. Gone is the time when you could have Superman run around with is costume, cape and boots underneath his clothes. Not really possible.

Yet, if he carries it in a bag, the size of the cape makes it a real big one. And ha has to Cary it all the time in case of emergency.

So there's the 52 way, with the suit being able to Chang shape, but if they go this route,nothing indicates the Kryptonians have this kind of tech in the first installment.

So I'm really curious! It's the kind of detail that can make or break the myth!:)

The people from Smallville who may recognise him but say nothing fall into the Lois category, they just keep his secret and really have no reason to out him

As for CCTV, since Superman is moving at incredible speeds, it would be tricky for them to pick him up, and since he can see in various spectrums, there may be some pseudo science to explain how he spots them and avoids them if he thinks they'll get a good look at him

He did find that drone after all, so they may carry on with this theme of him on the lookout

The people from Smallville who may recognise him but say nothing fall into the Lois category, they just keep his secret and really have no reason to out him

As for CCTV, since Superman is moving at incredible speeds, it would be tricky for them to pick him up, and since he can see in various spectrums, there may be some pseudo science to explain how he spots them and avoids them if he thinks they'll get a good look at him

He did find that drone after all, so they may carry on with this theme of him on the lookout

Well, in the new 52, he can emit EMP bursts with his eyes, so why not!

Still I find it hard to believe the Daily Planet could make their rep on their coverage of Superman without posting a single picture of him! :cuckoo:

Well, in the new 52, he can emit EMP bursts with his eyes, so why not!

Still I find it hard to believe the Daily Planet could make their rep on their coverage of Superman without posting a single picture of him! :cuckoo:

I'd just get a stunt double to fill in

of course the poor chap would get unwanted attention at the door, resulting in another double

'we're gonna need another Timmy!'

But he's Superman, who's gonna argue?

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Yes, have good oil' JJ take over Perry White and make an anti Superman crusade!

He'd probably like Superman because he doesn't wear a mask and children wouldn't be able to 'imitate his fantastic feats!'

At least clever children wouldn't

I remember that line from (not exactly) a very early issue, maybe even number one, it always seemed corny and a dumb reason to hate Spidey

of course they expanded on his hate over time

Snyder should have left the shots of the city evacuation for the faint hearted ones.
Personaly i just love that when superbeings fight there are consequences.
Especially when it serves a purpose in the sequels.

Back