Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank CP.

I got emotional writing it. :slap :lol

I like that it kills many birds with one rubble.

It touches upon his hope symbol conversation with Lois.

It decreases Lois being in every dangerous situation.

It gives Jenny a purpose.

It makes Perry a hero by giving him something important to do and parallels a "father" figure for Jenny in da big city.

It gives Lois heart.

AND last but not least, it gives voice and attention to the destruction in just 3 minutes time.

It really really does. It's so simple, and would fix about half of the issues I had with this movie.

Yay! Dutch Boobies!!! :woo

I'm sorry, were you guys talking about something in here? Oh. Superman.

I think the Zod execution scene would have been much more moving if he had cried like Alfred. Then it would have the heart.

Better than a Dutch oven. :)

I think Celtic needs a time out from going to the movies.

Lois should've never been in that plane.

Here is my one scene that would've added heart to the destruction (thanks to DiFabio for part of this):

Jenny should've been killed by Faora or rubble.

During evacuation of generic city, Perry decides to turn his car around to go retrieve Jenny's body for a proper burial, her parents would want nothing less.

He gets trapped in rubble.

Lois rescues him (after Superman destroys big iron spider) even after he suspended her and called to scold her over Superman news.

They both go to retrieve Jenny's body.

They split off and Lois walks into the train station so that Superman can cry on her belly.

Perry locates dead Jenny but can't lift the rubble off her dead body.

In walks Superman and Lois.

Superman lifts the rubble, and says "sorry for your loss, we all have lost today"

Superman goes to lift Jenny but Perry stops him.

Perry says to Superman, "No, please, I promised her parents I would take care of her."

Lois grabs Superman's hands, looks into his eyes and says "Super....Kal-el, there are others who still need you, please bring them hope."

Superman flys away.

2 cheesy, 2 corny.

Don't quit your day job. You'll never be as good a writer as Goyer.

Better than a Dutch oven. :)

I think Celtic needs a time out from going to the movies.

Probably. Almost movie i've seen has had little character development. And that pains me.

Die Hard showed me the kind of year I was going to have. But I didn't listen.

Dude, your chosen screen name is a reference to AVP. Why have you morphed into a student of Truffaut all of a sudden? :lol

I mean, I love smart, artsy cinema and character-driven films as much as anyone, but come on... We're talking about geek genre films here, not high art.

The latest DIE HARD was indeed terrible, though.

Lois should've never been in that plane.

Here is my one scene that would've added heart to the destruction (thanks to DiFabio for part of this):

Jenny should've been killed by Faora or rubble.

During evacuation of generic city, Perry decides to turn his car around to go retrieve Jenny's body for a proper burial, her parents would want nothing less.

He gets trapped in rubble.

Lois rescues him (after Superman destroys big iron spider) even after he suspended her and called to scold her over Superman news.

They both go to retrieve Jenny's body.

They split off and Lois walks into the train station so that Superman can cry on her belly.

Perry locates dead Jenny but can't lift the rubble off her dead body.

In walks Superman and Lois.

Superman lifts the rubble, and says "sorry for your loss, we all have lost today"

Superman goes to lift Jenny but Perry stops him.

Perry says to Superman, "No, please, I promised her parents I would take care of her."

Lois grabs Superman's hands, looks into his eyes and says "Super....Kal-el, there are others who still need you, please bring them hope."

Superman flys away.

That sucks.

2 cheesy, 2 corny.

Don't quit your day job. You'll never be as good a writer as Goyer.

Harsh. I rather liked jye's efforts. Indeed he shows heart in that little piece that I don't think Goyer is capable of.

That dialog really needs work, though. :horror:lol

:duff

Dude, your chosen screen name is a reference to AVP. Why have you morphed into a student of Truffaut all of a sudden? :lol

I mean, I love smart, artsy cinema and character-driven films as much as anyone, but come on... We're talking about geek genre films here, not high art.

The latest DIE HARD was indeed terrible, though.

If I'm going to do this directing thing, i'm going to do this ****ing right. I have to understand the inner workings of everything. It's the only way to understand cinema on a whole.

Which means, i'm probably going to change my stance on **** a lot. I learn something new every day.

I'm not asking for smart. Just good. The Avengers is a perfect summer movie for me. The year before that, it was Transformers. But once I got a taste of what a good summer film could be, I don't want to look back. Ever.

My screen name aside, I still love that Predator. The movie is as bad as all hell, but damn, that Predator....I even bought SS's helmet. It's one of my most proud possessions. :yess:

Goyer isn't capable of expressing heart? Dude, there's nothing but heart in the 1st 90 minutes of MoS and Batman begins also has lots of heart.

Nolan is capable of heart. I think Snyder needs some work in that department. I don't think he's incapable, but he needs to take a step back, and look at certain things. He made the film, but I'm not going to throw him under the bus .

And it would help if he had something better to work with.

Goyer isn't capable of expressing heart? Dude, there's nothing but heart in the 1st 90 minutes of MoS and Batman begins also has lots of heart.

MpuJF.gif

Goyer is a hack, jye is a much better writer. All Goyer knows is "hope" and non-linear flashback sequences to tell origins.

I also bet the microwave emitter, clean energy bomb, terraforming device, and the genetic codex running through Superman's bloodstream were all his ideas.

I also bet the microwave emitter, clean energy bomb, terraforming device, and the genetic codex running through Superman's bloodstream were all his ideas.

Indeed they were. Also, the only good dialog by Jor-El and Pa Kent that was written by Goyer was all lifted directly from comics. The rest of their good stuff was written by others. (Russell Crowe even came up with a couple of his own lines)

This movie has heart, but it ain't his.

If I'm going to do this directing thing, i'm going to do this ****ing right. I have to understand the inner workings of everything. It's the only way to understand cinema on a whole.

You're not going to be a director, you're going to be Haberdasher at Hot Topic when they branch out and have specialty shops. I have foreseen it.

Indeed they were. Also, the only good dialog by Jor-El and Pa Kent that was written by Goyer was all lifted directly from comics. The rest of their good stuff was written by others. (Russell Crowe even came up with a couple of his own lines)

This movie has heart, but it ain't his.

****!

I knew it.

I'd love to have a list of who did what in these Batman/Superman scripts. I'm sick of assuming and guessing, "oh, Jonathan must have wrote this, Goyer did this". How much does Nolan contribute to the stories? Is it just main ideas or is it literally just him going on the project as a director? I read the screenplay book and it sounds like the main plot, characters, etc. were all in Johnathan and Goyer's hands.

I remember reading an early draft of Batman Begins that isn't much different from the final shooting script. It had Goyer's name on it. Now I always wondered if he did the whole thing himself because all the main ideas and scenarios are in there. It even had things lifted right from the comics like Batman telling one of Falcone's guys that "you've eaten well, you've eaten Gotham's wealth, it's spirit". There was also this deleted scene that was cut of Ra's and Bruce climbing a wall (that I believe took the place of the sword training on ice).

Last edited:
Nolan is capable of heart. I think Snyder needs some work in that department. I don't think he's incapable, but he needs to take a step back, and look at certain things. He made the film, but I'm not going to throw him under the bus .

I'm not sure even Nolan has ever done anything as earnest as the scene with young Clark and the cape.

I don't think he has either. I do like that scene. But it came too late for me. Like I said. I'm not a hater. I have faith in Snyder.

You're not going to be a director, you're going to be Haberdasher at Hot Topic when they branch out and have specialty shops. I have foreseen it.

I almost wanted to work there once.

I wanted to score them Zim Toys for cheap. I probably should've. But I have no piercing or Tatooos

:(

I remember reading an early draft of Batman Begins that isn't much different from the final shooting script. It had Goyer's name on it. Now I always wondered if he did the whole thing himself because all the main ideas and scenarios are in there. It even had things lifted right from the comics like Batman telling one of Falcone's guys that "you've eaten well, you've eaten Gotham's wealth, it's spirit". There was also this deleted scene that was cut of Ra's and Bruce climbing a wall (that I believe took the place of the sword training on ice).

A lot of BEGINS is Goyer. But even that was heavily re-worked by the Nolans. It's quite obvious which stuff is pure Goyer, though (the Rachel character, origin scenes via flashback, the microwave emitter, the 3rd Act, etc). He was responsible for the Scarecrow stuff, however, so he's not all bad.

Aside from a few specific ideas and basic story elements, TDK & TDKR were written almost entirely by the Nolans.

I have no idea why Goyer is allowed to be such an over-credited hanger-on.

Back