Man of steel, reboot or sequel?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man of steel, Sequel, Reboot, Smallville, Buried

• Total voters
Its biggest crime really was how very slow it was. It was for the most part a pretty boring film and it disimproves with each viewing. It blows its load within the first half hour then slows to a crawl up until the various city rescues. Its far too quiet a film in the middle and right the end - I mean literally quiet - a lot of drawn out silences that are presumably supposed to be full of meaning ...but just aren't. And as has been said time and time again Lex luthor has been done well unto death. Enough with him.

I did however vote for a sequel because I just don't see the point in retelling the origin story which is strongly implied by 'reboot'.

I did however vote for a sequel because I just don't see the point in retelling the origin story which is strongly implied by 'reboot'.

While usually true, The Incredible Hulk destroyed this idea by introducing a whole new continuity but keeping the origin restricted in the credits. No reason why another Superman franchise beginning fresh couldn't do the same. The argument was that everyone knew Hulk's origins I would say Superman's origins are far more well versed.

brian singer is officially on the projesct according to:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/
and this article agian from imbd,

Will this movie cast have the same cast from Superman Returns?
Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, and Kevin Spacey are all under contract for a sequel. Director Bryan Singer has a deal with Warner Bros. to direct, but writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris will not be returning.

Who will the villain be?
It is yet to be revealed exactly which villain will be terrorizing Earth in this installment. There has been much speculation as to who it will be, but there remains no official statements from film's camp. The villain is said to be be a great physical threat to Superman, trading punches in a grand battle the likes of what we expect from a Superman story.

Co-writer Dan Harris stated at Comic-Con 2007 that there will be two villians. He didn't state which two villians, however, but director Bryan Singer has confirmed one of the two villains to be alien. Since that time, Harris and co-writer Michael Dougherty have left the project, and based on their departure and recent public statements, it would seem that their story was scrapped as well.

Is it coming out in 2009 or 2010?
Neither, as the film still does not have writers, let alone a script, The Man Of Steel will not be released until at least 2011.

When will production begin?
Unknown at this time. Brandon Routh has stated that he expects to begin filming in early 2009, but the lack of forward movement on this project and the statement by Warner Bros. that suggests that they plan a complete reboot will likely push back production start times considerably.

Last edited:
All of that information is outdated. It was placed on that page late last year, most of it, the last bits in April of this year waaaay before the Reboot was announced. IMDB does not update until the project is officially given the greenlight and until cast and all are set in place. WB wants to wait until they can officially greenlight the third Batman installment according to Levitz before announcing the Superman Reboot, probably because even the production crew is unsure who will be helming. The only hint we've gotten about anyone involved with this new film is sightings of Brandon Routh at the WB offices discussing his place in this new film with the big wigs.

At present time no director or cast has been set and the film according to WB prez is not set to go until 2012 at the earliest.

Here is the latest as posted in the original "Man of Steel" thread.

While Levitz has again confirmed the next Superman film will be a reboot starting over the franchise check out this little tidbit:

Paul Levitz Talks Batman, Superman and More!
Source:Latino Review October 10, 2008

Latino Review got a chance to talk to DC Comics President Paul Levitz this week about the status of the third Christopher Nolan-directed Batman film, the Superman reboot (Brandon Routh is still in the mix!), and more. Here are several clips:

In fact, he told me that "Last week Brandon Routh has come around the offices in New York and Los Angeles as of late to talk about Superman and what we want to do."

"Everyone is waiting for Nolan to sign on for another Batman, once that happens, the release date for Superman and all other future projects will follow. Green Lantern Summer 2010, Batman 3 Summer 2011, New Superman reboot Summer 2012"

You can read the full interview here!

Interview:
https://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...an-update-5511

What is their problem in that talkback with the updated Superman costume? Why the hate for that? Its Reeve's outfit that looked ridiculous if either of them. They looked barely a step-up from a childs superman pyjamas.

What is their problem in that talkback with the updated Superman costume? Why the hate for that? Its Reeve's outfit that looked ridiculous if either of them. They looked barely a step-up from a childs superman pyjamas.

yeah! i dont get the argument, it would have just looked cheap like the original.

I just want to say that a "reboot" has not been announced formally yet. This is all based on one comment from Horn. When they announce through a press release that they're rebooting, then it's official. ;)

I just want to say that a "reboot" has not been announced formally yet. This is all based on one comment from Horn. When they announce through a press release that they're rebooting, then it's official. ;)

Well that's good news for those of us wanting a sequel.
I just received the BD Incredible Hulk today. Good film but I really enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk too and I think a sequel to that movie would have surprised people, even the ones who hated the first film

Has Brandon Routh starred in anything else? Or is he just kicking around until the film-makers make up their minds on the whole Supes thing?

Has Brandon Routh starred in anything else? Or is he just kicking around until the film-makers make up their minds on the whole Supes thing?

He appeared in an episode of The Batman as The Everywhere Man

Bringing that kind of detailed scientific logic to a film about a man that flies is a little suspect.

I believe Donner called it "vermisilitude"

Last edited:

Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov confirmed it to the Wall Street Journal. I'd say its official as its gonna get because the Group President wouldn't be making official on the record comments to the Wall Street Journal of all places if it were in the air. Its isn't like it was a friend of a friend who heard something while there kind of comments. Those hoping for a sequel are living in the past. The best you can hope for is that they keep Routh and move forward. While Singer is not out of the running a few days ago it was posted in the entertainment rags that they are meeting with various writers and directors.

With "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League" stalled, Warner Bros. has quietly adopted Marvel's model of releasing a single film for each character, and then using those movies and their sequels to build up to a multicharacter film. "Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own," Mr. Robinov says.

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

Original article here: https://online.wsj.com/article/SB121936107614461929.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

You know after the horrible ang lee hulk, and not to mention the disaster made for tv crap that came out in the 80's no one was screaming bury the hulk. They marched forward and rebuilt the franchise, into something cool. thats what supes needs, someone who can forget what has been done and move in a new direction. I mean if it worked for the big green oaf it can work for the man of steel.

He appeared in an episode of The Batman as The Everywhere Man

He's been in a number of small films and he was an episode of the NBC horror anthology, the name of which escapes me. Check his resume at IMDB.

I believe Donner called it "vermisilitude"

That's different from scientific logic, which Donner's film defies big time with its finale. ;) Singer's film is more adherent to the laws of physics anyway.

Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov confirmed it to the Wall Street Journal. I'd say its official as its gonna get because the Group President wouldn't be making official on the record comments to the Wall Street Journal of all places if it were in the air. Its isn't like it was a friend of a friend who heard something while there kind of comments. Those hoping for a sequel are living in the past. The best you can hope for is that they keep Routh and move forward. While Singer is not out of the running a few days ago it was posted in the entertainment rags that they are meeting with various writers and directors.

Original article here: https://online.wsj.com/article/SB121936107614461929.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Do you really think I haven't read all the articles and interviews and sound bites? ;)

To me, that's not terribly concrete or official. When/if they start casting or hiring writers and directors, then you can call it official. If the development of Superman films has shown us anything, it's that a lot can change in a short amount of time.

If the development of Superman films has shown us anything, it's that a lot can change in a short amount of time.

Actually the history of Superman film development shows us that not much changes over a long period of time.

I'm voting for a reboot (or in an ideal world - Smallville flies to the big screen) but if they are rebooting it's going to take much longer to get a take they like than it would to ramp up for a sequel.

I'm not a big fan of Superman the character, and even less of the the Christopher Reeve movies (what is the deal with that, they were silly and had crappy effects -and I watched them when I was in my teens), but I did enjoy the Superman Returns movie.
The problem is the same problem that every movie has had (and most comics, with the exception of Miller's TDKR) and it is that the writers have neglected to look at the character of Superman in a serious way.
The real point of Superman, IMHO, is that he is a god walking the earth. How does a god act? When you have almost unlimited power and the wisdom of an entire civilization at your disposal, just how is it that you come to terms with it? And how does the world really react to it?
If you don't approach it that way, if you're not willing to tackle those questions, the material you write will probably end up being inane.
I wish someone had the balls to actually look into that.

Actually the history of Superman film development shows us that not much changes over a long period of time.

Not really. For every year a Superman movie was in development, there was a different pitch or script, around a dozen or so in total. Many different scripts and takes on the mythology over the course of a relatively short time as far as producing a film are concerned.

These are just some of the "would be" Superman films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_Superman_films

Not really. For every year a Superman movie was in development, there was a different pitch or script, around a dozen or so in total. Many different scripts and takes on the mythology over the course of a relatively short time as far as producing a film are concerned.

These are just some of the "would be" Superman films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_Superman_films

My point was that it's had the longest development period of any other project is history. It was 15 or so years from the time they decided to make a new Superman film to the time one was released.

Back