Major League Baseball 2008

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may be so, but other than working with pitchers one could make the case that Cash is already at least as good as Varitek is at this point. He certainly has a better bat and is better defensively.

Varitek is also going to want a huge contract through his agent Scott Boras, aka Satan. He might... MIGHT have one more season left in him, but that's it. And his affair with the NESN chick (resulting in the dissolution of his marriage) isn't helping his rep in Boston much, either. It's time for him to go.

I really question if he's got another season left, his bat's definitely gone, and even his defensive skills in the post showed signs of dropoff. I've been defending with co-workers how I'd live with his poor batting for his defense and his leadership, but he was up so much this season when it mattered and choked, his bad bat really hurt a lot of times.

With his affair too, I wouldn't be surprised to see that play into him being signed. Boston's front office doesn't want BS like that affecting the team, and Boston fans won't support a known adulterer so if they feel his social behavior bears enough negative on the club, they'll cut him.

For fans, it should now be about the TEAM above and beyond all else.

That's the one thing I hate about baseball, you get attached to a player, you better be ready to follow them everywhere nowadays. I have my favorites though, it'll break my heart if Papelbon ever leaves Boston, I still miss Kevin Millar.

I really question if he's got another season left, his bat's definitely gone, and even his defensive skills in the post showed signs of dropoff. I've been defending with co-workers how I'd live with his poor batting for his defense and his leadership, but he was up so much this season when it mattered and choked, his bad bat really hurt a lot of times.

Oh, I agree. I think he's DONE. But if he has to stick around, a one-year contract is the only thing that would even remotely make sense.

With his affair too, I wouldn't be surprised to see that play into him being signed. Boston's front office doesn't want BS like that affecting the team, and Boston fans won't support a known adulterer so if they feel his social behavior bears enough negative on the club, they'll cut him.
Well, professional athletes do that crap all the time, of course. But what makes this situation especially embarrassing was Varitek's status in the clubhouse and in the community, where he was known as the consummate good guy and family man. Also, that his affair occurred with an employee of the official flagship TV network of the club makes it that much worse.

This season, Jason Varitek expended most (if not all) of the good will he had acquired by his actions both on and off the field. I don't wish the guy ill, but he needs to go.

Well that's the thing, ya players do crap all the time, but when they build up a certain reputation and then totally shatter that image to the world, it stings. First time I heard about Tek and Watney's affair, I was shocked, Tek's the last guy I expected to do that sort of thing, I won't even defend him in steroid conversations, he probably did that too. It just sucks kids have no role models in these public venues anymore.

Part of why Johnny Damon is so hated in Boston is because for some time before he left, he kept saying I love it in Boston, I'm staying here, and in the end, all he cared about was the paycheck, even if it wasn't the Yankees he went to, that he built up all the crap about loving Boston and ultimately based his decision on money infuriated Boston fans.

Yeah, of course it is. Have I said otherwise? So what? :huh

And there is no such thing as "loyalty" in professional sports anymore when it comes to individual players, coaches, etc. How anyone could see otherwise in this day and age of free agency and ridiculous contracts is beyond me.

For fans, it should now be about the TEAM above and beyond all else. I know it is for me.

That's because I'm not "in" Professional sports...I'm a fan, and have loyalty to the team and players I follow. Particularly to players that have served the team well, Like Varitek has done for Boston.

tampa-bay-rays.jpg

YEAH THATS WHAT UP!!!!

If the Sox had made it past, considering their momentum and the 8 day lay off again, I think they probably could have had an easy time with the Phils, but I think this will be a close match up now.

Now I'm cheering for the Phillies so the Rox aren't the last of the expansion teams to win the Series.

Well that's the thing, ya players do crap all the time, but when they build up a certain reputation and then totally shatter that image to the world, it stings. First time I heard about Tek and Watney's affair, I was shocked, Tek's the last guy I expected to do that sort of thing, I won't even defend him in steroid conversations, he probably did that too. It just sucks kids have no role models in these public venues anymore.

Part of why Johnny Damon is so hated in Boston is because for some time before he left, he kept saying I love it in Boston, I'm staying here, and in the end, all he cared about was the paycheck, even if it wasn't the Yankees he went to, that he built up all the crap about loving Boston and ultimately based his decision on money infuriated Boston fans.

The Indians had the same thing with Manny and Jim Thome. Oh how they loooooooved Cleveland, but they all go for the money now. No more home team discounts. Thome told the fans they'd have to tear the uniform from his back, then he signed with the Phillies. Now he can't understand why he gets booed when he comes back to Cleveland.

Congrats to the Rays. Deserved it more then we did. :clap :bow

And to Francona: ^^^^ YOU, YOU STUPID ^^^^ING MORON! :emperor

To Varitek: Either retire, or get the ^^^^ out of Beantown.

See you all next year.

Francona ODed on bubblegum! He makes my jaws tired just watching him! :lol

Can't wait to see Philly crash and burn! They're way out of their league (literally, I guess) in this one. :chew

Back