Maintaining Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit like DVD's then. When they were first made they were so tough you could almost destroy the outerlayer and they would still work but after several years of refinement they decided to keep knocking down the quality and thickness to make the price better. Thus now most DVD's won't work if you put 1 scratch in it

But nothing I have that was made since 2000 has deteriorated, eg., DML; BBI; ACI; Art; Hasbro; HT; KP; Medicom; Sideshow.

The only damage was a Sideshow Han belt, but that started to break from rough handling by tightening it over the overlapped material of the trouser opening.

Bit like DVD's then. When they were first made they were so tough you could almost destroy the outerlayer and they would still work but after several years of refinement they decided to keep knocking down the quality and thickness to make the price better. Thus now most DVD's won't work if you put 1 scratch in it

scratches on the bottom side will still work, problem is when they skimp on the top layer label, just like CD, the data layer tend to get damage when there's no proper top label, just some print out words.

one thing i notice is my Boxset DVDs from Australia all tend to "fog out" at the bottom, still readable but even for a Brand New Never used DVD it still fogs out rendering it worth less than a normal used DVD.

i have had cheaper DVDs they don't fog out like these.

usually those from Dragon Military line holds up quite well. maybe back then Pleather in toys is not so common so they had to source a common source which is usually for hard duty & durability, but once the 1/6 market kept up with pleather new pleather being introduced to make them look closer to scale & more leather like, at the price of durability.

Sideshow probably got their pleather tech from Medicom/Takara which is sort of a pioneer for introducing realistic pleather, Hot Toys probably refined theirs from Dragon, but still not as durable as Dragon. And since there isn't much of New Dragon figures out we can't say whether it's the same for new dragon figures.

+1 on the Dragon stuff, granted most of the figs I have of them are cloth clothes, they seem to be doing very well. I have some of the Danger Girl ones from Dragon, their pleather is fine.

But nothing I have that was made since 2000 has deteriorated, eg., DML; BBI; ACI; Art; Hasbro; HT; KP; Medicom; Sideshow.

The only damage was a Sideshow Han belt, but that started to break from rough handling by tightening it over the overlapped material of the trouser opening.

I have a lot of the BBi Cy-Girls that the pleahter is shot on. Granted they were in storage for a while which I'm sure detoriated them, but the early ones from the 2001=02 timeframe, those are still ok (Blaze, Aj, Jet, etc..) The latter ones (Destiny, Nikki, Elektra) many of those pleather outfits are totally flaking.

Sorry for the dumb question, but do they have display cases that are UV protected to help against sunlight? Seems like from the responses, sunlight is the #1 culprit. I don't really have a spare room to start a collection in, and my bedroom has a lot of sunlight. Can't keep the blinds down 24/7 around the year.

Was originally thinking of getting a display case that would have went nicely by my window, but these comments have scared me from that thought.

Sorry for the dumb question, but do they have display cases that are UV protected to help against sunlight? Seems like from the responses, sunlight is the #1 culprit. I don't really have a spare room to start a collection in, and my bedroom has a lot of sunlight. Can't keep the blinds down 24/7 around the year.

Was originally thinking of getting a display case that would have went nicely by my window, but these comments have scared me from that thought.

Direct sunlight, UV, and heat are really bad for figures and collectibles in general. If there is a harsh ray of sunlight beating on the figs, then I would be concerned about discoloration. You could hang curtains or blinds over the window and that would do the trick. Another thing you could do is tint your window with a UV-cut tint.

Direct sunlight, UV, and heat are really bad for figures and collectibles in general. If there is a harsh ray of sunlight beating on the figs, then I would be concerned about discoloration. You could hang curtains or blinds over the window and that would do the trick. Another thing you could do is tint your window with a UV-cut tint.

Thank you for your response. I'll look into the UV-cut tint and see if that is plausible for me. I'm thinking since I have a wide closet, could be a better place to put figures away from direct sunlight

UV isn't the worst problem unless it's direct sunlight. if you have figures infront of windows with a curtain it's not a big issue as long as it's not strong & direct like heating up the figures.

I've seen toys having color fades inside malls inside closed display cabinets, probably due to the lights in the cabinet.

If you are so worried about UV, you can always tint up your cabinets with those UV protection film used on car windows & home windows.

Hi I'm fairly new to Hot Toys started in February and I was wondering if leaving a figure in a pose for too long would hurt the ball joints?

Hi I'm fairly new to Hot Toys started in February and I was wondering if leaving a figure in a pose for too long would hurt the ball joints?

I have left figures in the same pose for years with no issues. Nothing will happen to the figure, it's clothes and accessories that should not be stressed for long periods.

No not that extreme I was watching a video of some guys collection. He was talking about rearranging his figures to not stress out the joints and clothes.

museum pose is the way to go for long term display.

make sure rubber suit doesn't touch each other e.g arm touching body as it might fuse.

anything black/red will stain, so watch out. you can wrap a plastic wrapper around areas that come into contact with the black.

museum pose is the way to go for long term display.

make sure rubber suit doesn't touch each other e.g arm touching body as it might fuse.

anything black/red will stain, so watch out. you can wrap a plastic wrapper around areas that come into contact with the black.

So be careful with the Deadpool figure for instance?

not that I've seen in any way.

I have left figures in the same pose for years with no issues. Nothing will happen to the figure, it's clothes and accessories that should not be stressed for long periods.

As have I. The HT stuff I've had on 'long term' display has been about 3 yrs and no issues. I actually have some pieces that have never been out of the box for longer, which I'm starting to worry about plastic packaging interaction....

Just got myself a Red Skull. When I got the pleather trenchcoat out of the plastic packaging I see flakes on the packaging ...
Don't know how can I stop the flaking. Reading a bit on the Internet. It seems that once flaking starts there is no return :(

For those who keep it in box, better let the faux leather materials out to 'breathe'.

Back