1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... look at the discussion Sideshow's new product has inspired among collectors... :lol

Instead of people arguing about the headsculpt, they're arguing about whether they can financially survive going forward and where they should live...

And here that Sideshow bean-counter just typed - "240" - and thought "it's not that much more.":rotfl

IDK where you live but if it's either NY or LA, you're spending more than $4000/mo. And that's just a standard middle-class life style. If you want any type of luxuary in your life... like $240 bare bones dolls... you'll be spending more

I live in Raleigh NC. Cost of living is pretty dope here Ill admit. But Raleigh, if you didnt know, is kinda becoming a major hot spot for technology here on the east coast. We already got GB internet in some parts. Google is using us as a test market. Not sure what my point is...other than I think people, like me before I came, thought Raleigh was ONLY a southern redneck hellhole. turns out, its got a lot going for it, plus a great cost of living.

I lived in Philly before so I know about crazy real estate prices. I still say 1 Million is enough to survive. No, you wont be jet setting to Paris for the weekends cuz your bored, but you can certainly survive. some people will never make 1 million in a lifetime. in fact, i bet its most people wont make that. you can survive OK on 30K a year in some parts of the country, just fine. Were talking about "surviving". you could even get that Red 5 Luke.

Well I will take a million $$$ any day and more than double my lifestyle which is comfortable now. Edward D Jones Investment Co. is earning about 10% consistently over the last 15 years for my family, working the short trade market along with some mid-term investments. That would mean $100k per year gross off of a 1 Million $$$ investment. I could pay cash for my 2015 Stang :lol

Count me in as one who REALLY wanted this, and is now throwing in the towel. I've purged and consolidated so many times it sucks. I was pretty convinced my only 1/6 would now be the Fife and Drum set, and the best versions of the 1st Kenner 20. If the last few are going this route, I'll just stick to VOTC or something. What I have now will feel incomplete, and that'll probably just bug me. Like the new 52 made a good jumping off point for comics for me, this Luke looks like it might be my jumping off point for 1/6. Not a woe is me thing, just echoing the sentiments of some others here that the price of this one is just...different to me. For the first time I feel the screwing with this Luke, and nobody kissed me first.

This is $299.00. Tell me why Luke is $240.00?

nazgul (8).jpg

This is $299.00. Tell me why Luke is $240.00?

View attachment 143317

The big reason is Sideshow is a huge operation. There is much more overhead in SSC than there is Asmus. It's not even a fair comparison. You don't buy direct from Asmus. Asmus doesn't have a massive custom built e-commerce store that has UPS trucks making daily pick-ups. Asmus doesn't have a customer service staff answering phones 5 days a week, and live chat on their website. Asmus isn't employing a 40-50 people in their operation and contracting out to sculptors, painters, etc.

I mean, come on now.

Second of all, Asmus' figures come out crappier than Sideshow's, so let's not even start comparing Asmus to Sideshow. Gandalf's head was warped just as bad as Drake's but no one cares about the "Gandalf fiasco".

And thirdly, LOTR license is likely dirt cheap right now. Asmus' license is limited to Taiwan, so the license fee is likely proportional to that territory. SSC's is for North America, presumably, so that license is going to be huge.

AND FOURTHLY, Asmus has even said themselves that they're trying to keep the prices low and forgo profits in order to sell more. And they've even said sales numbers are dropping and they're having trouble moving units. So, it's not like Asmus is doing it right.

Don't get any of this wrong, Luke is still grossly overpriced, but don't even compare Asmus to Sideshow.

I guess they really really really need to recuperate from the losses on the defective Vaders...

I'm not getting this one, looks like the last SSC product I will ever buy will be the Probe Droid. At times I feel the Kool-aid is strong with this part of the forum but I guess Sideshow made an extremely bad decision this time. :lol

Well said, the koolaid is very strong in this forum, SSC is the bee knees to people here and can do no wrong

Last edited:
The proof will be in the price of the next figure

And tbh I don't give a **** how amazing the figure is in terms of sculpt etc, bare bones like this I will never pay more than 200$, think this is the case for the majority of collectors

SSC is just gauging how much the did hard collector will pay and that will be the new price point

It's so hard to commit $240 to a company that is yet to CONSISTENTLY prove us that their asking price is going to be worth it, at least with their 1/6 figures.

$200. You are bolder than I thought. I have been resisting all the $200.+ offerings. The way I figure it, now that they are made, I have the rest of my life to buy it. Hell you can find the most impossible toys to find thanks to ebay. Sure prices will go up but only for a while. Good things do come to those that wait.

It's so hard to commit $250 to a company that is yet to CONSISTENTLY prove us that their asking price is going to be worth it, at least with their 1/6 figures.

thats why im struggling with threezeros robocop ATM, $230 is a good price in comparison to HT's but I dont see the value in it yet

This Luke was never an option for me anyways, I want and ESB dagobah landing X wing gear luke, but seeing this now, that would be a cool $280 from SS

Also keep in mind HT's gave us two of the BEST lukes for only $300 plus 3 bases.... this really is a joke

thats why im struggling with threezeros robocop ATM, $230 is a good price in comparison to HT's but I dont see the value in it yet

This Luke was never an option for me anyways, I want and ESB dagobah landing X wing gear luke, but seeing this now, that would be a cool $280 from SS

Also keep in mind HT's gave us two of the BEST lukes for only $300 plus 3 bases.... this really is a joke

Licensing fees man....

If you only WAIT, all these prices will go down. Of course none of these figures are worth the asking price, companies just guage what people are currently paying. If the populous stops paying these rediculous prices do you think these figures will still sell for such a high price? NO, of course not.

If the collecting community sticks together the prices will drop, but it is up to you, and starts here.

If you only WAIT, all these prices will go down. Of course none of these figures are worth the asking price, companies just guage what people are currently paying. If the populous stops paying these rediculous prices do you think these figures will still sell for such a high price? NO, of course not.

If the collecting community sticks together the prices will drop, but it is up to you, and starts here.

#deep

It starts here...

It starts HERE...

IT STARTS HERE!!!

df1c28a4e6ea6c2962264a05c394e107.jpg

#solidarity

Back