1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It starts here...

It starts HERE...

IT STARTS HERE!!!

df1c28a4e6ea6c2962264a05c394e107.jpg

#solidarity

ok Someone needs to Photoshop this image into the classic Che poster

#vivalarevolution

I stopped collecting these figures a good few years ago. I bought, & still own, the first 10 Star Wars figures that Sideshow produced. The Sideshow Exclusive Bib Fortuna was the last one I ever bought as I then switched to collecting statues, busts & replicas exclusively.

Now I know this was several years ago but, I'm pretty sure, the figures cost around $55 back then. Although this figure does look great I must say that $240 for it seems mightily excessive.

The big reason is Sideshow is a huge operation. There is much more overhead in SSC than there is Asmus. It's not even a fair comparison. You don't buy direct from Asmus. Asmus doesn't have a massive custom built e-commerce store that has UPS trucks making daily pick-ups. Asmus doesn't have a customer service staff answering phones 5 days a week, and live chat on their website. Asmus isn't employing a 40-50 people in their operation and contracting out to sculptors, painters, etc.

I mean, come on now.

Second of all, Asmus' figures come out crappier than Sideshow's, so let's not even start comparing Asmus to Sideshow. Gandalf's head was warped just as bad as Drake's but no one cares about the "Gandalf fiasco".

And thirdly, LOTR license is likely dirt cheap right now. Asmus' license is limited to Taiwan, so the license fee is likely proportional to that territory. SSC's is for North America, presumably, so that license is going to be huge.

AND FOURTHLY, Asmus has even said themselves that they're trying to keep the prices low and forgo profits in order to sell more. And they've even said sales numbers are dropping and they're having trouble moving units. So, it's not like Asmus is doing it right.

Don't get any of this wrong, Luke is still grossly overpriced, but don't even compare Asmus to Sideshow.

And Fifthly, I was comparing what you get for your money. You act like Asmus is Hasbro quality and Sideshow is Hot Toys. Long winded post that could have just said "Luke is over priced." Keep drinking the Sideshow Kool Aid bro.

Still a bit depressed about this price. I find myself going back each day just to check if that was really the price. Each time I am more disappointed than the last. :dunno

However many times you go back, just don't order it.

If ever there was a time to "vote with you wallet" do it now. :lecture

Between the price and uncertainty about productions problems...Nathan Drake is on "special sale" right now using the original photos that do not resemble the production piece...this is a maybe later.

I am curious about the three sculptors listed:

• J Park (Sculpt)
  • Pia (Sculpt)
  • Walter O'Neal (Sculpt)

Just to compare - A $40 figure 10 years ago wasn't as good as this figure is either - so by 2029 we will be paying $1600 for a figure, but it will talk, walk and do the laundry.

Count me in as one who REALLY wanted this, and is now throwing in the towel.

Love your screen name and now we're all feeling the same way.:rotfl

The big reason is Sideshow is a huge operation. There is much more overhead in SSC than there is Asmus. It's not even a fair comparison. You don't buy direct from Asmus. Asmus doesn't have a massive custom built e-commerce store that has UPS trucks making daily pick-ups. Asmus doesn't have a customer service staff answering phones 5 days a week, and live chat on their website. Asmus isn't employing a 40-50 people in their operation and contracting out to sculptors, painters, etc. I mean, come on now.

I'm confused. I ordered direct from the Asmus e-commerce site and have been dealing with "Amy" from their customer support staff concerning my order. They're actually really prompt with response times.:dunno

However many times you go back, just don't order it. If ever there was a time to "vote with you wallet" do it now. :lecture

Although it's SSC's best headsculpt, this fig doesn't seem to be a "must have" for many people. So it's easier to vote with your wallet with this one. I'm really happy with my Hoth pre-orders (at least until the in-hand pics show up:lol) and didn't feel I had to buy this Luke.

Just to compare - A $40 figure 10 years ago wasn't as good as this figure is either.

I doubt it! We've had this conversation before. I saw the figures then and thought they looked like crap.

The HEADSCULPTS were total crap, yes. But - pretty much everything else on SSC figures all the way back to 2007 holds up very well today - outfits, weapons, accessories. They are top quality.

The bodies appear to have been hit and miss, generally bad, but you can buy a quite decent quality HT knock-off for a little over $20 today.

Just to compare - A $40 figure 10 years ago wasn't as good as this figure is either - so by 2029 we will be paying $1600 for a figure, but it will talk, walk and do the laundry.

Who said any of us will be around to see that?, I would rather buy a hover board then spend that money on a figure :wink1:

Who said any of us will be around to see that?, I would rather buy a hover board then spend that money on a figure :wink1:

2029 ? Will the war against the machines have finished by then?

Quote Originally Posted by anwe View Post
I guess they really really really need to recuperate from the losses on the defective Vaders...

"
Well said, the koolaid is very strong in this forum, SSC is the bee knees to people here and can do no wrong"
Umm I think the last thirty pages or so would show that's not the case.
I like Ssc and have supported them since the first figures but this figure is just too big a jump in terms of price vs value.
Even if it was a hot toys dx type that price would be pushing it for ssc head sculpts. And as has been pointed out Luke Hoth is that spec and ain't that dear

On a side note, it looks like it was pretty much developed by Hot Toys if I had to guess. Did anyone notice the names of the sculptors etc?

Looking at the Luke X-Wing prototype SS and Hot Toys may be collaborating more on a creative and production basis than I anticipated from reading this statement last September:

Sideshow and Hot Toys have partnered to bring more Star Wars Figures to the World
Long time Star Wars licensee, Sideshow Collectibles, has expanded our partnership with the creative Hong Kong powerhouse that is Hot Toys.

Sideshow, the current and original distributor of Hot Toys products will act as the official licensed distributor for the Hot Toys Star Wars figures in the Americas and Europe, while Hot Toys will be self-distributed throughout Asia. Both Hot Toys and Sideshow will create a complementary mix of 1:6 and 1:4 scale figures that will cover previously released films, as well as upcoming movies.

Sideshow has produced approximately 150 Star Wars figures over the past decade, a few of which have been co-developed with Hot Toys. The unique partnership of these two figure collectible companies is a testament to their collaborative spirit. With highly anticipated new Star Wars films on the horizon, Sideshow and Hot Toys are eager to satisfy the growing global demand for high-end Star Wars figural art.

Meeting the collectors’ desire for intricate, stylized, posable figures, and fixed statues of their favorite Star Wars characters from what is universally regarded as the leading collectible brand in this galaxy is a worthy challenge for the two leading figure collectible companies.

The Force is strong with Sideshow Collectibles and Hot Toys | Sideshow Collectibles

It would account for part of the sharp rise in pricing, but the pay-off will hopefully be a sculpt that more closely resembles the prototype than the abomination they actually delivered when it came to Nathan Drake.

The more I look at the photos of this Luke the more impressed I am. While collecting Reward Points during Spooktacular I had in mind using them to bring the price down on the HT Bank Robber Joker.

However, if I used that $55 on Luke it brings the price of the Ex from Sideshow lower than the Regular being offered in the UK. And that includes shipping and 20% tax).

Back