1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possible, but if I were them, I'd have hidden the cost by spreading the increase over several figures, as proposed by Pop and others. If it is the case that production enhancements are driving the increase on this, the figure will need to be a dramatic improvement over their previous attempts, to justify it. Kind of hope that is what's going on, though (that would be the best case scenario, as opposed to the increase just being about licensing, with no increase in quality over previous offerings). Would be good if SSC finally caught-up w/HT in that respect.

They definitely needed to show proof of their worth BEFORE they started charging this much. As it stands right now, the Sideshow quality is definitely not worth $240. There is still hope that the Hoth figures surprise everyone. The protos shown at SDCC, along with the Drake proto, were phenomenal. It's in the manufacturing that it all falls apart. If they finally decided to join the big leagues and go with a factory that will give them HT quality end products, then I think we would all be more accepting of the price. But they really haven't shown anything so far to convince us.

I still have the tiniest of hope that they can pull off some great pieces since Hoth Luke and Han have been delayed. Perhaps they switched factories after the Nathan Drake debacle?

I have heard this same argument for the last 8 years every time there's a price increase.

Keep in mind, figures from 2007 are in no way comparable to figures now, and so will be the case in the future: real eyes, real hair, "action" movement, whatever. They may justify their price to some at that time. Certainly at $400 a pop, companies need not make so many to turn a healthy product.

But look, some figures are at or over the $300 mark now -- DX Terminator. So why is $400 shocking? I was being conservative.

Because they've reached the breaking point now. Advancements and inflation have made sense to this point, but if they push any further this niche will collapse on itself. Or it will completely change the behavior of the consumer. Do they want the guys who will buy 10 figs per year at $275 (+/-), or the one that will buy 4-5 at $400? The need to do volume to keep their costs down and volume is clearly seems to be HT's direction. 2-3 years ago there were consistently only 40-50 HT items listed on SSC at any given time. There are currently 77 and they're having a hard time GIVING 1/3 of them away. As I said before, I wouldn't take that as a good sign if I were SSC & HT. Sure they always had the dud like New Goblin that would linger around forever... but now they have 30 pieces like that

Last edited:
They definitely needed to show proof of their worth BEFORE they started charging this much. As it stands right now, the Sideshow quality is definitely not worth $240. There is still hope that the Hoth figures surprise everyone. The protos shown at SDCC, along with the Drake proto, were phenomenal. It's in the manufacturing that it all falls apart. If they finally decided to join the big leagues and go with a factory that will give them HT quality end products, then I think we would all be more accepting of the price. But they really haven't shown anything so far to convince us.

I still have the tiniest of hope that they can pull off some great pieces since Hoth Luke and Han have been delayed. Perhaps they switched factories after the Nathan Drake debacle?

Oh god they better because that thing was a turd in nathan drake clothing

Because they've reached the breaking point now. Advancements and inflation has made sense to this point, but if they push any further this niche will collapse on itself. Or it will completely change the behavior of the consumer. Do they want the guys who will buy 10 figs per year at $275 (+/-), or the one that will buy 4-5 at $400? The need to do volume to keep their costs down and volume is clearly seems to be HT's direction. 2-3 years ago there were consistently 40-50 HT items listed on SSC at any given time. There are currently 77 and they're having a hard time GIVING 1/3 of them away. As I said before, I wouldn't take that as a good sign if I were SSC & HT. Sure they always had the dud like New Goblin that would linger around forever... but now they have 30 pieces like that

Every time I hear that word I make a slow smile just like Homer.

But you're right, HT used to sell out much more quickly. Now they are overpriced, overproduced, and overdone with all the 2.0's and redo's of the same crap over and over and over again. They are hardly unique and refreshing in most of their offerings. When I think of Hot Toys now I think of the word "bland". That's what they have become for me. Bland.

Fortunately the Star Wars license has perked up my attention much more now and got me somewhat excited again for 1/6, even if I feel the Stormtroopers are a little overpriced. Not Luke overpriced mind you, just a little :lol

No one is arguing about the price of 1/6 figures.

We are arguing about the price of THAT 1/6 figure.

I have heard this same argument for the last 8 years every time there's a price increase.

Keep in mind, figures from 2007 are in no way comparable to figures now, and so will be the case in the future: real eyes, real hair, "action" movement, whatever. They may justify their price to some at that time. Certainly at $400 a pop, companies need not make so many to turn a healthy product.

But look, some figures are at or over the $300 mark now -- DX Terminator. So why is $400 shocking? I was being conservative.

It's not the increase from 2007... It's the increase from 2013. Hoth Han & Luke are $200... and haven't even released yet.

A 20% increase year over year with less "features" included?

That's hot garbage.

I get that, but there is a limit, we just have to reach it. By your logic, the figures will be $400.00 in 2019 and continue doubling every 5 years forever. You don't seem to think there is any point at which it will cap. Again, last eight years: massive improvements that went hand-in-hand with the increases. That's no longer going to be the case and people can only earn so much a year. As I said, this'll be decided in 2019. :D

Well when I was a wee lad, being a millionaire meant something. So value changes. I do see how prices can get to $400 per fig in 5 years -- I don't see them just flatlining, which is what you are supposing. Prices never flatline. Not in "Corporate America", not anywhere. A lot of the people here now collecting will be out and new guys will come in with the disposable cash and desire.

I could swear I remember a 15,000 unit figure early on. But I can not prove it. But SS did learn quickly that high volume didn't equal more sales and the price started rising very fast. Bespin Han was only Figure #5 and already prices were on the rise. Seems like this forum has always been discussing the price increase on figures.

If I told you in 2007 that you'd be handing over $200+ on figures now you would have laughed at me.

So here's a prediction: we'll be paying $400+ in 5 years for one figure.

I didn't look very thoroughly... but even as the numbers were cut in half between ESB and ANH Han the price only increased about 30% ($15). Since the base price of $65 to now $240 that an increase of 269% ($175). I doubt the numbers are much less than 5,000... but I could be wrong and since Sideshow doesn't share that information anymore there is no way to know.

Maul may have had an even larger ES... the regular of him was 10,000 but the inclusive had no limit and that was a time when everybody and their brother pre-ordered figures on day one :lol

Well when I was a wee lad, being a millionaire meant something. So value changes. I do see how prices can get to $400 per fig in 5 years -- I don't see them just flatlining, which is what you are supposing. Prices never flatline. Not in "Corporate America", not anywhere. A lot of the people here now collecting will be out and new guys will come in with the disposable cash and desire.

That's very true... you, me and many others have been in this for a long time. I recall buying Nosferatu figure for $30 at a comic shop and really debating with myself if I should spend that much on a single "toy" (At the time I was so unfamiliar with 1/6 I wasn't even sure if he was articulated or not :lol).

But there have been many that left collecting it seems and price usually was a major factor as it went up to $50, to $75, etc. etc. it seems we lost some, but got new. I can't say I'll be in at $500, but so far I've mostly held strong with the $300 figures when I feel they are worth it.

Um, I think being a millionaire STILL means something, especially if you aren't one. If you think it doesn't mean anything anymore, you may want to step back and take a look at things a little.

Um, I think being a millionaire STILL means something, especially if you aren't one. If you think it doesn't mean anything anymore, you may want to step back and take a look at things a little.

:lol

What I meant was, back in my youth when my friends and I would fantasize about finding a bag of money, it was always a million dollars because back then you could live quite comfortably for life on that and never work. You could live on the interest alone back then. Not now. A million dollars ain't what it used to be. In CA, where I live, anyone with a home is a millionaire... but they sure don't live like it.

Most people have substituted billionaire for what we once coined millionaire. In a decade or two, it will be a trillionaire.

:lol

What I meant was, back in my youth when my friends and I would fantasize about finding a bag of money, it was always a million dollars because back then you could live quite comfortably for life on that and never work. You could live on the interest alone back then. Not now. A million dollars ain't what it used to be. In CA, where I live, anyone with a home is a millionaire... but they sure don't live like it.

Most people have substituted billionaire for what we once coined millionaire. In a decade or two, it will be a trillionaire.

this is the gayest **** i ever read in my life.

it would take 13.3 years of making 75K per year, thats well above average income in the US, and not spending a DIME to reach 1 Million GROSS. thats before Govt takes 25%.

I think youre drunk. 1 Million is plenty for people with modest means to survive for a lifetime.

and i have to EDIT this.....im just playfully teasing...not trying to incite a war. i always forget people on here dont "get" my sense of humor. But, I think youre drunk.

this is the gayest **** i ever read in my life.

it would take 13.3 years of making 75K per year, thats well above average income in the US, and not spending a DIME to reach 1 Million GROSS. thats before Govt takes 25%.

I think youre drunk. 1 Million is plenty for people with modest means to survive for a lifetime.

and i have to EDIT this.....im just playfully teasing...not trying to incite a war. i always forget people on here dont "get" my sense of humor. But, I think youre drunk.

Not even close. A decent house in a decent neighborhood is at least $600K (in LA). That leaves $400K to survive for 50+ years? Just action figures alone, if you only buy 20 a year - that's about $5K or $250K over 50 years. Not to mention food, clothes, kids, etc.

So in 2024 we can expect it to be $800.00 per figure and then double again to $1600.00 in 2029? :D

You've seen figures rise from $30 or $40 to $200 average, I get it, but you're dead wrong (IMO) if you think the prices just keep doubling and trebling forever. I think you're really oversimplifying it. Model you are projecting is not sustainable.

I don't know about trillionaire but I remember reading recently that to live like a millionaire did in the fifties you would need at least 12 million now.

Back