Luke Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, after seeing this:

14070.jpg

I thought it'd be a great figure to have. So, since I was doing a custom Obi-Wan and Anakin, I nabbed myself another Luke and now have this:

img2621of6.jpg

img2624zd7.jpg

Simple enough Kitbash and I think I might like it better than the traditional SSC Jedi Luke....

DarkArtist81 said:
Sweet! It's strange to see Luke dressed like an "old school" Jedi... But I rather like how it turned out... interesting..

[Ricky Ricardo Voice]Josh Two. What ah yoo teenkeen?[/Voice]
RickyRicardo.jpg

Alright guys, finally got around to swapping my Luke to a HT body and making a few other minor mods. Please excuse my crude picture-taking/lighting skills... (to my defense, my camera's not... very good). Here's the breakdown:

- SS Luke (w/ head repaint by SS Freaks' very own Customikey!)
- Hot Toys New Generation Life body
- German NCO boots from Dragon Models (with a coat of clear gloss)

On to the pics!

Neutral pose (note how the lightsaber's on/off switch is facing outwards... tee hee)
luke1.jpg

luke2.jpg

Use the Force, Luke!
luke7.jpg

Action pose! (note how both feet are lying flat on the ground)
luke10.jpg

I must be allowed to speak...
luke11.jpg

Shoot to kill!
luke12.jpg

luke13.jpg

luke14.jpg

Final random shot:
luke15.jpg

Now a post with some comparisons/constructive criticism on some of Sideshow's design decisions regarding this figure:

First, the force hands. I love the sculpt - the wrinkles on the skin, the veins, the overall detail is awesome. Very life-like.The HT hands are bendy and have little detail... besides, there isn't a manufacturer on the market who can produce natural-looking bendy hands, yet.

But, SS's hand for the Star Wats line are big. HUGE. Look at how they're MUCH bigger than the hands that come with the HT body:
luke4.jpg

They're directly related to the "monkey arms syndrome". They make the arm look much longer/thinner than it actually is:
luke5.jpg

Profile shot of the HT hand, so you can see how it's much more proportionate to the body:
luke6.jpg

Boots comparison (sorry, the shot came out too dark). Besides the less-than-Ok sculpt, the boots' finish is dull, when it should've been glossy. Medicom's Luke boots are perfect, but since I don't have him, the german NCO boots did their job just fine:
luke8.jpg

Ankle articulation... although SS bodies DO have this kind of articulation, it is poorly designed - the only way to adjust the "side-to-side" ankle articulation is to remove the boots, adjust the ankle to your liking and put the boots back on. But, since SS boots are so stiff, they cancel any sort of ankle articulation you could get from the figure:
luke9.jpg

This is the HT body. Expensive, but worth every penny:
ht1.jpg

The only flaw, IMO, are the huge shoulders. IF HT fixes this, they'll be pretty much perfect. Notice that it has the "front-to-back" articulation on the shoulders, just like a Medicom:
ht2.jpg

Before anyone jumps on me for the comparisons, I'd like to say that I'm a huge SS fan, and love their products as much as you guys. I just wanted to share the flaws I see in their products, so that maybe one day they'll get corrected.

That's it! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice Luke!! It does help out a lot, the clothes lay a little better and the cloak is WAYYYY more effective on this figure. Only one of the shots looks awkward (the swinging Luke) and that is because of the size of the SSC head. Other than that, I love it. Really does look more natural and more like Luke. :rock

Not diggin' the repaint, makes him look way to sleepy.

But the rest of the tweaks look awesome, wil have to pick up some of those boots.

And agree on the SS hand size, which is odd because the hands for all their non SW figures are all in scale.

DarkArtist81 said:
Nice Luke!! It does help out a lot, the clothes lay a little better and the cloak is WAYYYY more effective on this figure. Only one of the shots looks awkward (the swinging Luke) and that is because of the size of the SSC head. Other than that, I love it. Really does look more natural and more like Luke. :rock

Hehe, yeah, there's no getting around the huge head. Here's to hoping that in the future, SS will release a Luke with more proportionate head and with a better expression.

Evil Face - that's because of the expression... it still does look kinda sleepy, but much better than the original, IMHO.

And you're right about the scale of older SS hands... in fact, I used sword gripping hands from a SS Civil War figure for Luke, but the huge difference in skin tones bothered me - so now they're serving Blackbeard quite well.

Bluetooth said:
luke1.jpg
QUOTE]

Love this pose and how the figure came out. One quick question: Is the HT Luke version taller/shorter/the same height as the original SS Luke? If he's shorter or the same, I just may do this same customization job.

Thanks for sharing !

Awesome customization!

Where's a good site to pick up one of these Hot Toys bodies? Also any idea how it compares to the Dragon NEO body as far as scale and posability?

I want to upgrade my Han Solo, and after seeing this post probably Luke as well, but I want to get the best body possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the comments!

FlyAndFight - Actually, after the HT body swap, Luke's now about a 1/2 inch taller than the SS version. I don't mind, since it's the only SS Star Wars figure I have on display right now. If scale bugs you, I'd definitely recommend shortening the limbs of the HT body a little. But I can't wait till Maul arrives so I can do the same mods.

Ultimate Weapon - Thanks! I picked mine up at www.vikingplayground.com great price, and Alexei is just a great dude.

The HT body is about a 1/2 inch taller than the Dragon NEO body... and it's much more articulated. The Dragon NEO body has much better proportions than the SS body, but IMO is good only for neutral poses. The HT body has more - and better - articulation. Just check for yourself! The only thing that bugs me about the HT body, like I said before, are the unnaturally wide shoulders.

I'm almost tempted to make the same mods to my Han - I bet he'd look great too, since he would be accurate, height-wise - but I just can't get past the headsculpt and huge head. I'll just save his outfit for a (possible) future Han headsculpt.

Customikey - Hey man, thanks for stopping by! Now back to work at those comissions, boy! *cracks whip* :monkey5

PosterBoyKelly - The gloved hand is from Sideshow Luke. I just had to use my dremel to make the peg slot a little wider/deeper to accomodate for HT's wrist peg.

It's a very nice Luke, Bluetooth. Mikey did a wonderful job on the paint and you did the right thing with the body and the modifications. The more I look at it, the more I want mine switched! :lol

Alright, I'm sold to do the same mods myself! Just gotta find those boots, where'd ya get em again? Size aint a big thing with me, Luke's 1 of 2 of my remaining SS 12" so the height wouldn't matter for a better body.

PosterBoyKelly - I got those boots from Monkey Depot (www.monkeydepot.com). Just do a seach for "NCO boots" and you should be ok. These are the $3 a pair, molded boots - not the real leather boots from Newline (which are fantastic, but fit too big on Luke).

DarkArtist81 - Thanks for the kind words. Customikey did a fantastic job on the repaint, improved the figure tenfold. I liked it so much I've since then comissioned a couple other repaints from him.

Last edited:
Back