Lounge lorne 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comparing people's preferences between companies is like discussing politics or religion. There's no way one can convince the other they are right. We all just have to respect each other's personal choices and leave it at that.

Hot Toys, SSC, and any other company out there are making a ton of stuff and we're all reaping the benefit of it. Having been a 1/6 scale fan for most of my life (my first cherished toy was Mattel's Pulsar) I can truly state that we are now experiencing the medium's best years. While a lot of collectors are now spreading out to all the different companies, they need to look back and appreciate the history of this scale, and SSC has done more for it than the other companies simply because most of you didn't buy high end 1/6 scale figures until SSC made the Star Wars figures. That means a lot of collectors have only one year of hindsight, and that is by far too small a spectrum to say SSC isn't right up their in quality, design, packaging, or price-point.

While I'm not too jazzed about this new Lorne figure, I'm still happy that SSC is around and I truly respect everything they've done.

Now to address the comment about Hot Toys being new. They've been around since 2000 and this isn't their first year of making 12" figures...

HT is fairly new to the licensed figure realm though.

And percentage wise, SSC has far more decent sculpts than HT.

Darklord Dave said:

True licensed figures, yes they're new to it. But their first two figures they ever made are the "Matrix Neo" and "MI 2 Ethan Hunt". Both don't look anything like the actors and have monkey arms that would make Jedi Luke envious.

I don't know why people feel they need to compare the two companies. Would I like Sideshow to produce accessories that are on par with Hot Toys? Yes. Is that likely to ever happen? No. Sideshow has always had a certain "style" to their products that I've come to except.

Hot Toys, SSC, and any other company out there are making a ton of stuff and we're all reaping the benefit of it. Having been a 1/6 scale fan for most of my life (my first cherished toy was Mattel's Pulsar) I can truly state that we are now experiencing the medium's best years. While a lot of collectors are now spreading out to all the different companies, they need to look back and appreciate the history of this scale, and SSC has done more for it than the other companies simply because most of you didn't buy high end 1/6 scale figures until SSC made the Star Wars figures. That means a lot of collectors have only one year of hindsight, and that is by far too small a spectrum to say SSC isn't right up their in quality, design, packaging, or price-point.
Well, I've been collecting 1:6 since the late 60's, I wouldn't say these are its worst years but not their best either. If we're talking doing the most for 1:6, I'm not sure that title goes to $ide$how. 21st Century gave 1:6 a shot in the arm with their 1st offerings and rejuvenating interest in a somewhat dormant area. Dragon, while admittedly mostly WWII, issued a plethora of 1:6 figures and accessories to keep collectors enamored. Blue Box, DiD, N2, Palisades, etc...all added to the mix, as did $$C. Now, if you're talking doing the most in terms of showing what a company can do with licensed products? Sideshow hands down takes that one. Having been a collector for so long I think I am rather entitled to my opinion in terms of $$C's quality, design, packaging, and price-point.

Darklord Dave said:

Like its been said, everyone has an opinion. I still say that a company that has the license to a property should be supplying product that needs far less touchup, repainting or resculpting than a company that holds no likeness rights. To that end I think HT has supplied excellent sculpts where $ide$how has faltered time and time again.

The big difference with this era as opposed to any other is the attention the scale is getting. More people are buying 1/6 scale figures than ever before. more people are being introduced to it daily because of SSC's Star Wars line, Medicom's Marvel line, and the handful of other top licenses. Think about how many new voices there are in 1/6 scale forums these days, it's all due to what's out now, and how this has sparked an interest in the new collectors. They are now discovering all the other great stuff out there, but at the end of the day it's because of today's leading companies and the products they produce that 1/6 scale is getting the spotlight it deserves.

All that said, I stand firmly behind what I typed previously.

More people are buying 1/6 scale figures than ever before.

Somebody better tell $ide$how.

And I can't agree that this is the big attention era for 1:6.
When Hasbro brought GI Joe back, the The Ultimate Soldier hit shelves, then Dragon burst on scene and BBi and Palisades and N2 and Medicom and Formaytive and M&C and Eversparkle......
That was when 1:6 was at a high. A little 1:6 for everyone and for every budget. Sure, some were way better than others. Some set the benchmark. Then, Sideshow hit the market. They weren't WWII. They weren't ACW. They weren't Viet Nam.They were different. They offered "licensed" figures from film and television properties. They offered a different variety of figures other than the 4 armed forces that seemed the norm. More companies came forth in the wake of Sideshow's success and a wide berth of licensed figures began to be seen. Some companies gambled and fell. Some made poor financial decisions and were soon departed. Some just decided to seemingly focus on one property whose loyal fan base buy just about anything with the logo on it[no offense intended. supporting a license is what we're all about] while other loyal fans of other properties are left in the wake. Of course if all lines were advertised and promoted like $tar War$, maybe we'd all still be singing praises of newly gotten and announced figures in each of our favorite lines.
Now, a gaping hole is left in the 1:6 market. Hot Toys is filling it. SFM is trying to fill it. Majestic was filling it.
I think 1:6 collectors have way more than a year's hindsight. A lot of the collector's I've encountered at shows and on other forum date back to the birth of 1:6 in the 1960's. To the end I'll stand by what I've said previously.

After expressing my disappointment at Sideshow for this last 1:6 release, I must confess I am a bit embarassed to say that i'll be in line next friday to get Lounge Lorne, just because I am a completist, and I couldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that there's a SSC Buffy figure I've missed. If I told this to one of my friends, they wouldn't get it. However, I know you guys, the hardcore collectors, understand it.

I just hope this isn't the last figure indeed, and they give us Wes and Fred, and Anya... kind of like what happened with Skinner and Krycek for the X-Files line :eek:

olvidadero said:
I'll be in line next friday to get Lounge Lorne.

Next Friday? I was under the impression that the Lounge Lorne will be ready to be ordered through Thursday's newsletter.

Am I wrong? Clarification please.... :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

For me it'll be on friday. Or I gess I'll get up in the middle of the night to pre-order mine. I'm from Spain, and with the hour difference I get the newsletter on friday mornings. Could someone tell me the exact time Sideshow put the newsletter up to make the maths and be ready tomorrow? ^^

I did not pick up the original Lorne so I picked this one.
Might change my mind tomorrow. He is a great sculpt though.

Back