LOTR Packaging - Disappointed for an International Collector

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordAzrael

Origins Kurgan Crusader
Reaction score
OK. I've been complaining about freight costs lately, and Sideshow has advised that international shipping is NOT dependant on weight - its the size of the box. So you can imagine my disappointment that the new LOTR packaging as shown in the newsletter is BIGGER than the old style one - meaning shipping is likely to be EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE.....

That wouldn't worry me except for the fact the exclusives for the LOTR are turning into MUST HAVES for me....

Disappointing Sideshow, disappointing :(

Sorry for the international collector- but the box is much nicer looking. And it's thinner than the standard box, so if it's total dimensions, it may not be that much bigger.

Darklord Dave said:
Sorry for the international collector- but the box is much nicer looking. And it's thinner than the standard box, so if it's total dimensions, it may not be that much bigger.

I'm hoping. As I'm not a MIB collector I don't give a stuff about the box personally - but I understand some of you other folks do. I'm just afraid its going to add another $10 or so to the freight above and beyond what is already being paid per figure.

I suppose I just wait and see next week - but my conversations with SS have shown that the cost to ship the box don't really factor into their design considerations.

Don't they add up length and width and height? Since this one has a more shallow box, the total dimensions might not be that much more than the less wide but doubly thick Star Wars box.

gambit said:
it shall be depending on the package weight not the size

if not, this is bad news for me as well :(

Incorrect. See email from SSC below:

Thank you so much for your patience in waiting for my response to your e-mail. Our Shipping Department has just been inundated with orders to be shipped and it has taken some time to go through your account.

What we did was re-quote each order that was shipped to you first to be sure that you were not over charged in error. Upon review we have determined that the difference in the shipping prices charged is due to the size of the box that the figure is shipped in. The size of the box is the only measure that is used for international orders, the delivery service does not care at all how heavy or light the box it, and they go strictly by the dimensions of what is being shipped.

Please know that we do not charge any extra fees, what you pay goes directly to the delivery company. I am sorry that I do not have a better answer for you. You may want to see if you can purchase these items through a different on line store, they may be able to ship to you via the USPS. I can give you a list of on-line store if you would like.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Jennifer Bigham
Customer Service

Therefore if the storeman uses a slightly bigger box with lots of gaps in - then the freight charge goes up regardless of what they put in it. This means that if the boxes they have on hand are not a tight fit - higher freight.

Hopefully Dave is correct and that (a) the overall volume is similar and (b) its charged on volume rather than biggest dimension or something stupid. Oh well - time will tell.

I too am from Australia, and must admit, that the shipping prices sideshow charges add up quite a bit. Surely sideshow can ship these items out at a cheaper price than what is currently been provided to international collectors.

Ive come to expect that each item will cost me double as the postage cost amounts to close to the price of each of these 12"ers. Would it be cheaper to purchase these from ebay....sure, but if you want to garantee access to their exclusives I think ordering from sideshow is the way to go. For other products, such as sideshows AVP figures from Hot Toys, I find it cheaper both for product and freight to buy these directly from Hong Kong sellers off ebay.

In the end, if you want these great products, it will cost.

LordAzrael said:
Therefore if the storeman uses a slightly bigger box with lots of gaps in - then the freight charge goes up regardless of what they put in it. This means that if the boxes they have on hand are not a tight fit - higher freight.

With that in mind, it seems that Sideshow works hard to keep the shipped dimensions down. Some people would like more padding or layers or double and triple boxing, but the simple cardboard layer clinging to the outside of the product package means that they are maintaining an absolute minimum of extra length/width/height from the shipping materials.

tomandshell said:
With that in mind, it seems that Sideshow works hard to keep the shipped dimensions down. Some people would like more padding or layers or double and triple boxing, but the simple cardboard layer clinging to the outside of the product package means that they are maintaining an absolute minimum of extra length/width/height from the shipping materials.
The gap issue mainly arises with combined shipping. Basically I made the observation that strangely combined shipping wasn't saving me much - the reason was SSC was using any old box to put the combined items in.

The standard box they have holds 3 of the old style boxes without space - but will only hold two Star Wars ones - with a lot of gap. Because of the way freight is charged - shipping is effectively charged at the rate of three figures when it goes that way.

Sad but true.

One thing is for sure--I feel bad for you overseas collectors. Any way you go, shipping is a major addition to the price of the item for you guys. And when you want an exclusive item, you have no choice. I really take it for granted that I live so close to Sideshow and get cheap shipping. You guys are really the dedicated ones, as you have to sacrifice a lot more money to get your figures later than everybody else. I salute you and look forward to the announcement of Sideshow's Australasian warehouse!!!

From my experience in my previous job with shipping, how couriers charge is either by weight OR the higher of volumetric weight and actual weight. Therefore I believe what sideshow has told you is not exactly correct of course i may be wrong but i do not believe so. I do know international couriers charge by the latter method and domestic postal services charge by the former method.

More likely, what i think is happening is, the actual weight of these figures aren't exactly heavy. But the size of the box used is big and when you consider the volumetric weight, it is more than the actual. Thus more often than not, you are actually getting charged according to the box size. So your contents may not weigh much but if it is bulky then unfortunately you will end up paying more for shipping.

If all of this is true, I say it's one more reason for Sideshow to start thinking about a COMBINED SHIPPING PROGRAM for oversees customers. I love your products SSC, and I order quite a lot from you, but please start doing something about those freaking shipping costs!! Don't forget that we have to pay taxes as well, and, how absurd it may sound, we are even charged taxes on shipping. The higher the shipping fees are, the more taxes we pay. To me, it just seems like a big los of money.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
[...]Sideshow to start thinking about a COMBINED SHIPPING PROGRAM for oversees customers. I love your products SSC, and I order quite a lot from you, but please start doing something about those freaking shipping costs!! Don't forget that we have to pay taxes as well, and, how absurd it may sound, we are even charged taxes on shipping. The higher the shipping fees are, the more taxes we pay. To me, it just seems like a big los of money.

EXCATLY what she said. :rolleyes:

******* PLEASE PRINT THIS OUT - THIS IS YOUR INVOICE *******

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Item # Description U/M Ordrd Shpd Back Price Ext
Comments:
92061 PC 1 1 0 $64.99 $64.99
12" Aragorn as Strider Exclusi
------------
Sub Total: $64.99
Discount: - $0.00
Freight: $60.87
Sales Tax: $0.00
------------
Invoice Total: $125.86

If you have any questions please email us at [email protected].

Thank you for your order.

********** THIS IS NOT A BILL **********

As expected - the new box has caused an increase in shipping. Compare the cost to shipping for a Star Wars Box

******* PLEASE PRINT THIS OUT - THIS IS YOUR INVOICE *******

Item # Description U/M Ordrd Shpd Back Price Ext
Comments:
21051 PC 1 1 0 $49.99 $49.99
12" Qui-Gon Jedi Exclusive
------------
Sub Total: $49.99
Discount: - $0.00
Freight: $47.34
Sales Tax: $0.00
------------
Invoice Total: $97.33

If you have any questions please email us at [email protected].

Thank you for your order.

********** THIS IS NOT A BILL **********

$61 vs $47..... Less than impressed.

LordAzrael said:
As expected - the new box has caused an increase in shipping. Compare the cost to shipping for a Star Wars Box

$61 vs $47..... Less than impressed.

But....but it's so pretty! :lol

katsal said:
I too am from Australia, and must admit, that the shipping prices sideshow charges add up quite a bit. Surely sideshow can ship these items out at a cheaper price than what is currently been provided to international collectors..

Actually Katsal, I just had my PF Lurtz shipped to me from Sideshow via Fedex...Sideshow charged me $154.ooUSD to ship this out to me.

Out of curiosity I went to the Fedex website, and put in the weight and dimensions of the Lurtz box, and the charge that came up on their website for the SAME thing..?????

$225.oo USD..

So, while I know that posting these types of collectables around the planet is NEVER going to be cheap....Sideshow is trying their best I think.:D

But, in saying that, Sideshow could look at sending stuff via the US postal service, it could still be tracked/insured...I mean, those guys couldn't be any rougher on the boxes than the Fedex Guys!!

LordAzrael said:
Just received it..... What is supposed to be in the bubble between his sword and pipe - it appears to be empty on mine ????

Looks like there is a dagger missing - should there be one in the sword scabbard ??

Damn....

EDIT: Found it - it wasn't in the packing - it had fallen down the side and was stuck in the tape used to close the two parts of the internal packing together.

Last edited:
Back