Dead pool and apparently new Sideshow packaging review.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Sideshow had skimped on the traditional 1/6 packaging as a way to help control the price to under $200, I doubt anyone posting complaints would still have one. Instead, they skimped on packaging and still managed to charge Hot Toys quality prices for Sideshow quality product.

For a $240 Sideshow 1/6 figure, people expect the best for their money, not just "good enough".

Well, most people seem to be very happy with the figure (in fact I can't remember the last SSC figure that got this much praise on release). Michael Crawford actually gave the packaging a 4/4. :lol So it's not even close to being universally acknowledged as being a poor or cheap design. Closest experience I have with this format is General Grievous and I thought it was packaged extremely well (they also protected it very effectively in the shipper by using spacers in all the corners). I had some nitpicks with it, too, but nothing to be upset about, IMO.

In regards to the shipper getting thinner, it does seem like we're getting to the point where one almost has to choose to pack-out at an additional fee or risk damage (or take one's business to someplace like BBTS where pack-outs are included free).

Sideshow's Nathan Drake sold out, so obviously there's no shortage of customers with more money than common sense, and that was $70 less than Deadpool And Included the "deluxe" packaging!

Well, most people seem to be very happy with the figure (in fact I can't remember the last SSC figure that got this much praise on release). Michael Crawford actually gave the packaging a 4/4. :lol So it's not even close to being universally acknowledged as being a poor or cheap design. Closest experience I have with this format is General Grievous and I thought it was packaged extremely well (they also protected it very effectively in the shipper by using spacers in all the corners). I had some nitpicks with it, too, but nothing to be upset about, IMO.

In regards to the shipper getting thinner, it does seem like we're getting to the point where one almost has to choose to pack-out at an additional fee or risk damage (or take one's business to someplace like BBTS where pack-outs are included free).

Michael Crawford is one opinion. His opinion is not gospel truth. He likes it, I am not happy with it. Box art is nice, but cheaper quality and crappy foam and baggies is a big minus for me and others. If Crawford is happy with it then good. But I wanted to express my opinion/review of the box and packaging. I never said the figure was bad, just the things I mentioned I am not happy with. For me, compared to the plastic shell ssc used with their DC figures, the higher cardboard weight on shipper, and plastic bag covering retail box inside shipper is a step back from the standard THEY set. I feel the comparison is valid. There is no way this is a step forward in quality as far as packaging and protection of retail box that many keep and display.

If Sideshow had skimped on the traditional 1/6 packaging as a way to help control the price to under $200, I doubt anyone posting complaints would still have one. Instead, they skimped on packaging and still managed to charge Hot Toys quality prices for Sideshow quality product.

For a $240 Sideshow 1/6 figure, people expect the best for their money, not just "good enough".

Exactly. I still expect quality for a 240.00 figure on all ends, including shipper, and packaging that I became accustomed to receiving from all the 1/6 ssc DC figures that I bought from them. These are high end toys/figures. Ssc set the bar in over all quality, packaging included in their prior releases.

Look what happened when GL went up for preorder. The forum exploded in negative feedback without a crappy quality box and shipper. That figure had an increase in price with a decrease in accessories and perceived fabric quality and choice. If ssc superman shipped in the dead pool box and foam, I guarantee I would not be as happy with the figure. In marketing, presentation is very important.

When a open a 250.00 figure with shipping and see cheap packaging, baggies covering the figure, and head not even attached, that is a terrible first impression that detracts from a figure, no matter how good he is.

The excitement of seeing the UPS guy pulling up and seeing the ssc or HT's shipper box is a nice little rush. The whole experience of opening the shipper and taking the box out of the plastic bag is a great joy. Then seeing the figure displayed through the clear shell is awesome. It is all part of the experience.

Even my daughter who collects 17" Disney dolls was really surprised how crappy the shipper is and could not believe the cheap foam. My other kids felt the same also. So I guess they are all wrong also.

Back