Dead pool and apparently new Sideshow packaging review.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afattori

Super Freak
Reaction score
First off, I know there is a dead pool thread. After opening my new dead pool figure from Sideshow, I am majorly disappointed.

First off the new shipper box is of much inferior quality. The cardboard is lighter weight and can be easily damaged thus damaging the retail box.
IMG_20151105_111249.jpg

Once opened there is a cardboard insert. And to my surprise, the retail box is not even wrapped in a clear bag. Box just feels cheaper than previous ssc DC released figures.
IMG_20151105_112024.jpg
IMG_20151105_111323.jpg

Next took top of box off with typical insert wwith no change in quality with it.
IMG_20151105_111440.jpg

Back of box.
IMG_20151105_111419.jpg

After removing insert, I find that ssc packaged him in foam and wrapped dead pool in plastic baggies. His head is not even attached. Apparently ssc is using the same company that made the packaging for Xensation Mr ? and Double Face. The plastic tray is gone as well as clear plastic cover.
IMG_20151105_111510.jpg
IMG_20151105_111920.jpg
IMG_20151105_111659.jpg
IMG_20151105_112639.jpg

Then all the accessories and stand are at least kept in a plastic tray.
IMG_20151105_111926.jpg

I am really disappointed that Sideshow has chosen to use the same boxing of Xensations 149.00 figure. A 229.00 figure plus shipping should have been boxed like their previous DC 1/6 Batman, Catwoman, Joker, and Harley. Just wrapping the figure in plastic baggies also cheapend the quality.

I was really disappointed in this. Pouches come off easily. One wasn't even on in box. I do not feel I bought a 200.00 plus figure. For me, the box and packaging adds value to me for the money I spent. Right now I have to give ssc a 2 out of five stars for the packaging.

There's way to cut costs, but increasing prices and reducing quality is a big mistake. IMO, collecting market is nearing a crash. If SSC wants to charge HT'S prices, they better start giving us HT's quality. Just not having fun anymore with this hobby. Just my opinion and I felt this deserved its own thread and attention.

On the one hand, I don't think the risk of damage is any greater for a figure being packaged this way. So, from a utilitarian standpoint, I think it's fine. However, there is another consideration with "high end" figures, where you're paying two hundred dollars plus, and that's for the presentation aspect that you bring up. And from that standpoint, you can certainly make an argument here that cost-cutting is impacting the perceived value of these figures. In fairness to SSC though, even the esteemed Hot Toys has packaged figures like this in the not-too-distant past. Their DX figures for example (though those had nicely cut, cardboard covers right above the styrofoam), and their 10th Anniversary exclusives like Scarecrow (Not my images--I got them from a Google search):

pZ6i9kR.jpg

D7cm3zC.jpg

And I don't recall collectors taking much issue with that. Cheapness of the box material is not something HT has run into, though.

Nice LAME packaging Sideshow, I dread what Ash's box will come packed in

Hts packaging for dx foam was much better than current ssc dead pools. Hts was dense and not split in half like ssc. It felt very secure with dx12, dx01, ect. On their mms figures, they were placed in tray packaging. Dead pools feels and looks very cheap. No comparison to ht's foam dx packaging, which I had no problem with.

No damage thank God. Just very disappointed in box quality and high price for a figure that I am kinda disappointed in. Guess first impression took a big hit with me.

I imagine they also shipped deadpool in a bag so that any pouches that fell off during shipping were contained and not bouncing around in the box to be lost.

I think this figure is fantastic.

Actually the packaging isn't new, the same box has been used for the last few G.I Joe releases. The foam is, though.

Actually the packaging isn't new, the same box has been used for the last few G.I Joe releases. The foam is, though.

I did not buy the GI Joe figs. But thanks for pointing out the box was used before. Just sad premium dollar price charged for inferior quality. Sorry if overly critical, but between this, and new higher prices for figures and shipping is just closing the door on my collecting. Sacrificing quality to make a buck is not cool. These are high end toys or dolls that we are paying for. My wife calls them dolls, buy I say action figures lol.

I would also note that in my experience that lightweight, thin cardboard shipper does not do the best job of protecting the figure box. It bends much more easily and that deflection is passed onto the figure box. And God help you if it gets left in the rain.

My DeAgostini MF parts get shipped in that light weight cardboard box and never arrives in good shape. It is always smashed. My first shipment from them was double boxed in a sturdy cardboard box. If we did not keep the figure boxes I could see using inferior packaging, but ssc knows the majority of collectors do. Plus I assume more than not keep the brown shippers.

I did not buy the GI Joe figs. But thanks for pointing out the box was used before. Just sad premium dollar price charged for inferior quality. Sorry if overly critical, but between this, and new higher prices for figures and shipping is just closing the door on my collecting. Sacrificing quality to make a buck is not cool. These are high end toys or dolls that we are paying for. My wife calls them dolls, buy I say action figures lol.

The last few G.I Joes had premium prices too, I don't know what causes the jack up of prices and downgrading of packagings. I stopped getting anything made by SS.

If I paid 150.00 for him than no big deal. But we paid with shipping depending on where you live about 250.00 for a figure. For some of you that is a chunk of a pay check. Hell, I can afford it, but I do not like feeling I wasted money or not get what I pay for. I know some young collectors can only afford so many figures a year. No way I am getting green Lantern till heavily discounted. No way putting down 219.99 plus shipping. Ssc should just stick to premium format if they are going to charge this much and under deliver for what we paid.

I have no problem with differnt style box never had any dented damaged box or need 2 pack out in my 4 years of collecting. I guess my UPS guys are just better in my area compared to some i've seen from Cali alway's get damage. I admit i use to bowl boxes on midnight stock shift and old delivery job :lol n understand because i like to display the box art in my collection.

I have no problem with differnt style box never had any dented damaged box or need 2 pack out in my 4 years of collecting. I guess my UPS guys are just better in my area compared to some i've seen from Cali alway's get damage. I admit i use to bowl boxes on midnight stock shift and old delivery job :lol n understand because i like to display the box art in my collection.

Probably not the best thing admitting you used to bowl boxes. Kinda a **** thing to do imo to people's packages that they paid for.

Back