LOTR 12" vs SW 12" - Which do you want most?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i will be getting all the lotr 12" and will only get sw if they make any sith like darth maul.

Based on the three sculpts, I am hooked on the SW line, and I didn't expect to be.

I'm not diving into the LOTR line although I thought I would be doing so. The Aragorn sculpt missed the mark by such a margin that all the air escaped from my anticipation-bubble.

Nothing hooks me like a good sculpt. Actually, nothing hooks me except a good sculpt.

I've gotten all of the Star Wars figs so far because they have looked amazing. My plans are to pick up at least the Fellowship Nine and whatever other figures appeal to me.

I can honestly say that I don't plan on being a completist for either line, though. But if they continue releasing great looking figures then perhaps I'll be forced to... ;)

As for Aragorn, I'm hoping that tomorrow's pre-ordering goes quickly and smoothly, especially with all of the supposed naysayers ... ;)

Overall, I think I'm looking forward to the 12" LOTR line more than the 12" Star Wars line. LOTR needs to be better represented in the 1/6 scale, in my opinion. So far they only had those Toy Biz and DiD abominations (Don't get me started on those Toy Biz rotocasts!:horror). Star Wars at least has had in the past some great 1/6 figures. The all too brief Marmit line comes to mind. And the much maligned Hasbro line sucked about 60% of the time... but they did manage to knock a few out the the park... in terms of head sculpts:

Count Dooku
Jango Fett
Darth Maul (from the Sith two-pack)
Battle Droids (the Super too)
Ki-Adi Mundi
Plo Koon
Sebulba
Geonosisian
Jawa
R2-D2 (a bit too short though)

I have a hard time thinking that Sideshow could do any better than the above list in terms of sculpting. In fact, I doubt that Sideshow will even attempt some of them... like Sebulba or the Geonosisian.

And price of the Hasbros (especially when purchased during clearance) could not be beat. I picked up a Count Dooku and a Ki-Adi Mundi for under $10... and at that price, a legion of battle droids for customizing!

This was a really tough question to answer! I was first and foremost a Star Wars fan, ever since I was a little kid, but the Prequels didn't capture me the same way, and the Hasbro/Kenner line got so bad that I stopped collecting Star Wars altogether. Lord of the Rings came along, and captured my imagination like Star Wars once did, and these films are pretty much note perfect (though I do pick nits from time to time). I collected the SSW Poly line while it was made, and cherish those statues and busts. Now that SS started the Star Wars line, I had to jump back in! These really are the figures I have always wanted for SW! I will get as many as appeal to me and as long as I can afford it. LOTR now looks as good (nertz to all those who don't like the sculpt:naughty ) and I will probably end up being a completist for the LOTR line.

While waiting for pre-orders is tough, waiting for them to arrive now is almost worse! Now I know I will be getting kick-@$$ versions of Luke, Obi, and Anakin, but I want them now!

Uh-oh, I think I need a ride in the Waaaambulance!!

LOTR is the one line I am most invested in. I myself prefer elves and men to orcs and . . .

wait a minute, HOW OLD IS THIS THREAD?!? Good grief man, where did you dig this thread up?!?
:google

I only collect Star Wars and to be honest I am really loosing interest in the 12" line. They are getting VERY expensive and the last 4-5 haven't interested me at all so I hope when I see Vader it bring the excitement back.

Yikes, I just noticed when this thread was started. :horror

At this point I'm only getting core character OT SW figs. They've almost made all of them at this point. What's left? Vader(s), Stormtrooper, X Wing Luke, Bespin Leia, Slave Leia? Though I might venture out of core characters and get a Tarkin.

I'm down with just about anyone from LOTR, heck I even bought Faramir, and each figure has blown me away in terms of detail. Too bad the line has moved so slowly. I need some new 1:6 LOTR announcements SS!

Back