Lincoln

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved this this movie. Yes, it is dense in dialog, but I found it totally fascinating. At times I felt like I was in the room actually watching history take place. It's too bad some people have the attention span of a gnat and can't realize how important the events of this movie are.

The performances, direction, and cinematography are all top caliber. Like the best action movies, it made 2 1/2 hours fly by. I'll be totally surprised if there aren't multiple Oscar nominations.

I agree you really feel engaged in quite a few of the scenes as though you were actually there. This was definitely intentional to especially in any scene where Lincoln is telling a story. You the audience, just like all the politicians around him, are forced to listen to his random tales without interruption and you are just kind of left staring at that spectacle. It's amazing. Some of the lighting and scenes are so excellently done too.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I saw this on Friday and kept forgetting to post my thoughts!

Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, and Sally Field were incredible. Each of them stole their scenes. On the other hand, I felt this was one of Joseph Gordon Levitt's weakest films of late. He seemed out of place and his performance at times forced. The supporting actors were great, as well. Strathairn, Spader, and Holbrook come to mind.

Some may find the subject matter boring, and I admit, the American Civil War is one of the most boring and laborious parts of history for me personally, but Spielberg managed to keep me engaged the entire length of the film. The dialogue was intense and intelligent. The sets and costumes elaborate and perfect. The cinematography was top notch.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Overall, this is an excellent film and I do hope everyone gets a chance to view it.

I hated Levitt's role in the movie, but I also hate him and he is my least favorite part of Lincoln and Dark Knight Rises. His appearances in this film were forced and irrelevant.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
One of the movie critics on one of the local news stations here have lincoln 2 stars as opposed to the new twilight with 4. What a tool.

I hated Levitt's role in the movie, but I also hate him and he is my least favorite part of Lincoln and Dark Knight Rises. His appearances in this film were forced and irrelevant.

Spoiler Spoiler:

The entire conversation Lincoln has with Mary after his son decides to enlist is about where he's going to be and what he's going to be doing. Lincoln states specifically in the scene that he'd place him alongside Grant pushing pencils. He even threatens in the scene before to use the same power as commander and chief to hold him out entirely. He didn't become anything, he was placed.

One of the movie critics on one of the local news stations here have lincoln 2 stars as opposed to the new twilight with 4. What a tool.

tumblr_m5kar1k1WX1rxc156o1_250.gif

Saw it this afternoon. Everyone in this movie was spot on. Day-Lewis was fabulous as was Sally Field (yes, I really like her!!!) standing toe to toe with him. Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens was phenomenal. Too bad Robert Lincoln didn't have more to do in the film because, what there was of him, Joseph Gordon-Levitt did a very good job. As much as I was familiar with the slavery amendment, I was still enthralled by the voting roll-call. Quality is all Spielberg ..... what more need I say?

Back