Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to figure out how everyone is hiding there wires lol. I have the dioders in my one detolf but the wiring looks like complete garbage. :(

Any comments on the dioder light strip set from ikea?

I'm thinking about getting lights for my detolf/billy bookcase collection and looked right through the thread earlier this week. Apparently they changed the Dioder lights 2-3 years ago so instead of being a neutral white they're now a warm white, which has a slightly yellow hue. Virtually everyone who posts here was not happy with that change. You can see pictures of the old and new Dioders here:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...your-collectibles/33999-lights-detolf-15.html

If you're at all confident with electrics Pixelpiper suggested using electrical ribbon to create custom built lighting. It seems to be a really good solution but I just dont have the confidence/skill to try something like that.

If you do decide to pick up the new type of Dioder I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts on it as it seems the most straightforward lighting solution and I haven't seen anyone post a picture of their collection lit with the new dioders.

I'm still going to be making and selling lights, BTW. For Detolf available in two flavors, standard wired and special wireless. All plug and play, complete kits, remote controlled, totally hidden light fixtures, diffused, warm and cool white options, tint/hue shift or change brightness per shelf, connect figures and bases and sabers directly to the lighting system, etc. Super sweet. But still working on it.

That sounds amazing and I was planning on waiting for the summer holidays before I sorted out my lighting anyway.

I'm still going to be making and selling lights, BTW. For Detolf available in two flavors, standard wired and special wireless. All plug and play, complete kits, remote controlled, totally hidden light fixtures, diffused, warm and cool white options, tint/hue shift or change brightness per shelf, connect figures and bases and sabers directly to the lighting system, etc. Super sweet. But still working on it.
That's one hell of a project...count me interested.

.........This may have been already discussed, but I didn't want to dig through the entire thread. Does anyone know of any damage that can be caused to figures by permanently displaying collectables under the soft white round dioder LEDs if they are always on? In order to hide my wires I had to have the switches hidden behind my detolf bank.

There shouldn't be any concern with the LED - so they say, but I'd add an extension to the wiring for your lights to include a switch. LEDs may individually be low power, but in groups, you'd be surprised how much power you can be consuming. You wouldn't leave the main light on in a room all the time would you? ;)

There shouldn't be any concern with the LED - so they say, but I'd add an extension to the wiring for your lights to include a switch. LEDs may individually be low power, but in groups, you'd be surprised how much power you can be consuming. You wouldn't leave the main light on in a room all the time would you? ;)

That's a good point. I was thinking about adding them onto a power strip that was accessible, but my laziness was saying otherwise.

Even a motion sensing switch may be an option if you only want them on when someone is in the room.

Hi all, I've lurked around here for a while, mainly in the display section since I'm more into anime figures than other stuff but it's still fun to see stuff here. Seen some really nice displays around; always fun to admire and get inspired by them.
Hi all, i'm new to the forum. Recently resurrected my figures from 3 years of loft storage which have only ever been on a crappy alcove shelf at my previous place.

I'm in the process of setting up my first Detolf cabinets using Dioder strips from IKEA (warm white unfortunatley!).

I've noticed if you put the strip along the front of the shelf and angle it 45 degrees down and inwards you get a hell of a lot more lit up front to back. But it does expose more of the back of the strip though.

Sounds obvious but i've not see anyone do it. Need to find a way of keeping the strips ain place at an angle.
Yes, I actually encountered the same thing recently (and actually just finally signed up to comment on this)!

I used double-sided tape to accomplish this, but I want redo my lighting (again) in order to do something to better hide the strips and the bulb visibility when looking at the shelf (saw balsa wood suggestion here and that might be something I try). Here's a picture of my setup (still kind of a work in progress) so you can see what I mean:
Lc7JpQ9l.jpg

I hope it's kosher to post MFC links since we're specifically talking about the shelving more than the contents: here's the blog post with all the pictures of how I built and set up everything, including angling the lights (not at a full 45 degrees but better than flat flush against the top of the shelf)

I built those raisers.

Awesome work! Do you have a custom build thread here? Would love to get some DIY-info on how you made them. I've pondered putting a trio of my Detolfs up on something similar but the 300+lb weight they'd add worries me. :lol

Great job on the bottom support for the Detolfs. For the angle question, I've been thinking about looking for a piece of molding or trim that was angled and that the light strips could be attached to.

Awesome work! Do you have a custom build thread here? Would love to get some DIY-info on how you made them. I've pondered putting a trio of my Detolfs up on something similar but the 300+lb weight they'd add worries me. :lol

I don't have a thread on here but I already put the link in the post above the one you first replied to, right under the picture :wink1:

Back