LEGO Back to the Future CUUSOO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivek

Super Freak
Reaction score
Heavy Future: Vote for LEGO BTTF DeLorean

LEGO® CUUSOO | DeLorean Time Machine

Lego_BTTF2_DeLorean.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Vote for LEGO BTTF DeLorean

Remember this is just a concept prototype to initiate the project. Once the milestone of 10,000 votes is reached LEGO will tweak and finalize the design, before the various suggested Lego BTTF DeLoreans goes into production.

Love it! I haven't bought LEGO in a long time but i would make an exception for this!

That's a Delorean?

About as close as you'll get with LEGOs, I guess. Personally, I would like this just for the figures. I could pose them, my Minimates, and Kubricks with the awesome Welly Delorean I have.

I think the LEGO design team will do a better job with the final product.

Nice work on that set up Vivek! Those minifigs are boss.

About as close as you'll get with LEGOs, I guess. Personally, I would like this just for the figures. I could pose them, my Minimates, and Kubricks with the awesome Welly Delorean I have.

I display my BttF Kubs with my Welly Delorean too!

Toys7.jpg

Remember this is just a concept prototype to initiate the project. Once the milestone of 10,000 votes is reached LEGO will tweak and finalize the design, before the various suggested Lego BTTF DeLoreans goes into production.

They can get a billion votes and it's not gonna change the fact that any rights they'd need to legally produce this are already held by Diamond Select and Mattel.

So yeah, ain't gonna happen.

I have faith that HT might be able to make figures if small leaps like Diamond and Mattel are possible.

They can get a billion votes and it's not gonna change the fact that any rights they'd need to legally produce this are already held by Diamond Select and Mattel.

So yeah, ain't gonna happen.
DST only has license for BTTF Minimates and prop replicas. Mattel has rights for BTTF action figures and hopefully prop replicas as well. Neither company has all the rights for BTTF merchandise. So BTTF Lego is very much possible.

Thanks to everyone who the took time to vote for this.

Diamond has minifigure rights which at the very least would prevent Lego from producing the characters to go in the time machine. I know Diamond was interested in doing Army of Darkness Minimates but couldn't because of the Mez-Itz which were the Mezco minifigures. I'd be shocked if they didn't have some sort of claim to any accessory scaled to said minifigures as well. They obviously have the rights to produce a cartoony Minimates version of the time machine so it stands to reason that those rights are exclusive.

Even if the rights were available getting 10,000 votes means nothing if Lego and Universal can't come up with a deal that works. Universal isn't going to give the rights away and Lego isn't going to invest in something they can't push in stores. Look at the licenses Lego currently has, they all have some sort of high-profile TV or movie tie-in within the last year or two. Back to the Future hasn't had anything like that in 20 years and even if it was a current property Lego can't milk an assortment of product out of it like they would with their other licenses. You might get 2 or 3 sets tops, especially considering that the interchangeable nature of Legos would prevent them from releasing a series of time machine variants when a few alternate parts would do the trick.

If LEGO wanted the license, its being held by DST wouldn't stop them from picking it up IMO. Even if DST's contract says that they are going to be the sole producers of Minimate figures, then LEGO could easily buy out their contract, seeing as how DST has milked the line about as dry as they can at this point (so they don't have a strong incentive to keep the license) and LEGO could buy DST 50 times over if it wanted to. Plus, I don't think DST even has the BTTF1 license anymore. The last few releases containing BTTF1 figures were packaged as being from BTTF2.

I remember reading in a DST Q&A that, for whatever reason, Diamond has the rights to release GI Joe scaled Deloreans (with the BTTF2 logo on the box), but not Minimate scaled ones that aren't "Super Deformed."

Obviously Universal has no problems handing out the minifigure license, as it was held by both Medicom and DST. Whether it would be worth LEGO's while to go after it is another question that I can't really answer. Looks like the vote in the OP's link is a good ways off from its goal, if that means anything.

Thats great news! Ill be grabbing one when they are released.

Back