Lead in paint from China?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in the glassware printing industry. A few years back we switched to lead free paints, due to new laws and the FDA, anyway I digress....The leaded paints were really good to work with, they were very shiny, glossy and showed amazing detail. The lead free paints don't hold details as well, they are dull, matte and just plain bad, especially printing small text. If I had to guess the paints used by the toy industry( and now we know) has some lead in them. Especially the Reds and purples , yellows and blues. Just my two cents. Unless your gonna lick or eat your Darth Maul's head for breakfast, I wouldn't worry about it. :rotfl

On a side note Massachusetts and California have the toughest laws regarding Lead paint.

I asked the question because American companies that use Chinese production facilities these days don't always seem to know what's going on over there. I'm sure Sideshow wouldn't request it. Fisher-Price didn't request lead paint, and Menu Foods didn't ask for melamine in their pet food.

Unless your gonna lick or eat your Darth Maul's head for breakfast, I wouldn't worry about it. :rotfl
QUOTE]

Its not his head I'm worried about, but his lightsaber, since I remember Pix posted a pic of himself with Maul's saber in his mouth :lol

I don't see how it really matters with these collectibles since we (I hope) are smart enough to not want to put them in our mouths. The Fisher-Price stuff is understandable since all little kids want to put everything in their mouths (keeping them away from the collectibles should be obvious, even if they don't have lead).

Well, it seems the consensus is most of us would rather not know, because we don't think it matters. Nevermind, Sideshow. I'll just buy a kit and test mine myself.:cool:

I actually thought you posed a really good question. I keep popping in here to see if anyone from S has answered.

Thanks, Pix. Yeah a number of years back I remember there was a recall of some vinyl venetian blinds that had lead in the vinyl. We had some vinyl blinds on a window, so I bought one of those testing kits at Home Depot, and was astounded when our blinds tested positive. We were told to wrap those things up in plastic and take them to a hazardous waste site. Apparently just opening and closing them would put lead particles in the air.

After reading some alarming reports on this subject, I'm concerned about this as well. I wonder if Sideshow's Chinese manufacturers use lead-based paint? And more importantly, if Sideshow would take action if necessary? When authorities stimulate their citizens to eliminate the lead from their homes, it somehow feels a bit odd when people like us stuff our living rooms with collectibles, that could be treated with lead-based paint. Lead does not only enter the body through the mouth (digestion), but also though the skin and thought the respiratory system. Perhaps we should not be to concerned about ourselves in this matter, but I don't think it is very healthy for young kids.

an easy solution to lead in paints from china....

DON'T EAT YOUR COLLECTIBLES!!!

seems simple enough. :lol

Since lead can enter your body through the skin and thought the respiratory system, I suppose you suggest to touch them with gloves, and certainly NOT to breath when you are around them? Thanks for the good advice! :D
Seriously, if lead-based paint can be avoided, why use it? Besides, it is not said that there's lead-based paint used on the Sideshow Stuff. We are merely asking if... What's wrong with that?
Like I said, it may not be a big problem for us grown ups, but you might consider that some of the collectors here do have young kids, which are much more prone to saturnism.

Since lead can enter your body through the skin and thought the respiratory system, I suppose you suggest to touch them with gloves, and certainly NOT to breath when you are around them? Thanks for the good advice! :D
Seriously, if lead-based paint can be avoided, why use it? Besides, it is not said that there's lead-based paint used on the Sideshow Stuff. We are merely asking if... What's wrong with that?
Like I said, it may not be a big problem for us grown ups, but you might consider that some of the collectors here do have young kids, which are much more prone to saturnism.

as i have come to understand, the big worry is children ingesting paint chips or the item itself.

since these items we speak of (collectibles) are not children's toys, adults should be responsible enough to 'keep out of the reach of children'.

now as far as adults absorbing lead through their skin. imo, lead is not acid. and for the small amount of time adults spend actually touching their collectibles, it shouldn't pose a problem. and i really also feel that inhaling paints would probably be more of a risk for workers at the chinese factory than a finished product on display.

My niece works with mentally challenged children. She told me that the only ones that have any damage from lead paint come from third world country where there's lead in the drinking water.

I'm not sure if this is related to lead paint, but I incidentally found that Darth Maul's head is ferromagnetic. I was experimenting with the idea of using magnets to attach his head to a neck post. When I was positioning a magnet inside his head, I quickly felt with my fingers a slight attraction/repulsion between the two objects.

I'm not sure if this is related to lead paint, but I incidentally found that Darth Maul's head is ferromagnetic. I was experimenting with the idea of using magnets to attach his head to a neck post. When I was positioning a magnet inside his head, I quickly felt with my fingers a slight attraction/repulsion between the two objects.
...and that's how babies are made.:lol

Surely Sideshow has an answer to this matter? I too consider this to be quite a serious subject.

You may get a quicker response if you post this question in the Star Wars section, it seems to be the only part of this forum that any rep of SideShow hang out these days...:monkey2

Gruff regardless of the flak you received asking this question I think it is a valid one, and would also like to know if SideShow has been working closer with the manufacturers on their quality control issues.

Just to remind everyone - SSC has no obligation to post any kind of reply. They have their own Ask Sideshow forum on their site now and if you really feel like this question is of consequence, you should probably ask it there.

Back